Christian Benteke

Kwan

I thought he was very poor today. However, he needs more than one chance a game to make a difference. Why the hell, when we have one of the best strikers in the air, do we not play with wingers?

Because no one does anymore they play 451/433 and pack the midfield when possession is lost.

He was awful yesterday, no movement poor first touch...just not himself. Not sure why people are even trying to argue this. As if the fact that the other players are bad somehow negates how poor he was.

Nail, meet head.

• Like 1

He was awful yesterday, no movement poor first touch...just not himself. Not sure why people are even trying to argue this. As if the fact that the other players are bad somehow negates how poor he was.

He had a bad game, but I can't agree with poor first touch. He was holding off defenders while chesting down goal kicks which he bought under control, it's very difficult to do ad yet he makes it look simple.

As previously said, there were numerous times yesterday when one of our midfielders had the ball, in space, looking forward, only to see Wiemann and Gabby running towards them, or not moving at all. 

Benteke didn't really help out too much either, he rarely wanted the ball passed into his feet which meant we were really ineffective going forward yesterday.

Movement up front was bad, no one individually to blame, but as an attacking unit all 3 were poor. 

Palace even left us with quite a lot of ground behind their defence, and not once did we put a through ball into the space behind them to test it.

We're obviously getting used to this new style of play, it's quite obviously affecting our chance creation/goals return, we've just got to hope it clicks sooner rather than later.

Not too sure about that mate. Did you see how many times Benteke had to drop back into deep midfield just to get involved?

Didn't help that Palace came for the draw and had 8/9 men back at times.

I also saw during the games that Gabby and Weimann sometimes don't or can't read Benteke's clever flick-ons. What we need is a someone to do that for Benteke.

I don't think criticising him is 'turning on him'

What is equally tiring is people implying he is totally immune to any criticism because of other players around him. For me, that is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 1

I don't think criticising him is 'turning on him'

What is equally tiring is people implying he is totally immune to any criticism because of other players around him. For me, that is pretty ridiculous.

Some have criticised his performance yesterday which is fair enough but there have been some 'he's shit and lazy, sell him' sort of posts and for me, they're ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Yes they are ridiculous. But it's very much the minority. The majority cricitising are not saying anything of the sort.

Exactly, his form has been poor of late, that is partly down to the players around him and partly down to the player himself. Doesn't mean he's any worse than any other player (defence aside), or that anyone is questioning his ability.

He can't carry a whole team, but he can't be immune from criticism either.

Edited by VillanousOne

Something doesn't seem to be right in his head at the moment.  He's head and shoulders better than everybody else in the team, but he's not himself.  Witness his moaning at Bacuna for what was actually a very good ball; moaning that continued a while later after the final whistle.

We need to freshen things up in January, and get him some decent support and that mythical creative midfielder.

Yes they are ridiculous. But it's very much the minority. The majority cricitising are not saying anything of the sort.

What point are you trying to make here Stefan, I'm lost. I've already said that I've no problem with people criticising his performances of late... 

What point are you trying to make here Stefan, I'm lost. I've already said that I've no problem with people criticising his performances of late... 

It must be immensely tiring being him and being expected to be the entire goalscoring threat of the team.

The fact that some are turning on him and slagging him off is ridiculous. 

Your OP didn't imply that.

Something doesn't seem to be right in his head at the moment.  He's head and shoulders better than everybody else in the team, but he's not himself.  Witness his moaning at Bacuna for what was actually a very good ball; moaning that continued a while later after the final whistle.

We need to freshen things up in January, and get him some decent support and that mythical creative midfielder.

Maybe he saw this system is not going to work for him before on the training ground. Only since playing this style does he seem so pissed off. Seems the only way he is going to score is to create something himself. 

Â