Christian Benteke

Kwan

I'm not sure that it would be Benteke's interests to wait until he is around 25/26 before joining a top club when he isn't far off one now. We should be grateful if we can get one more season out of him.

He is happy and has security at this football club, it will not be detrimental to his career if he stays here for another season or two. Furthermore, 25/26 is the right age for him to perform at his peak and have the maturity to succeed at a Champions League club.

No player really peaks until their mid to late twenties but this doesn't mean that all the 19-23 year olds currently at a CL club aren't mature enough for that level. I also wouldn't presume his happiness at this club. The same was said last season and then he slapped in a transfer request. The fact that he signed a deal afterwards doesn't mean that this never happened. What that told me was that Benteke clearly sees us as a platform to much bigger things (and there's nothing wrong with that) and he probably wants to achieve that sooner rather than later. I'm not suggesting that he isn't happy here to clarify but I'm pretty sure that he is already planning ahead.

No player really peaks until their mid to late twenties but this doesn't mean that all the 19-23 year olds currently at a CL club aren't mature enough for that level. I also wouldn't presume his happiness at this club. The same was said last season and then he slapped in a transfer request. The fact that he signed a deal afterwards doesn't mean that this never happened.

At 19-24 you need to be learning your craft. Benteke is still developing as a footballer, and more importantly as a person. He is at a club where his development is appreciated and opportunity is abundant, why jeopardise that luxury? My advice to CB would be stay with Villa and continue your development until you are equipped with skills necessary to succeed at CL level. 

I am not presuming Benteke is happy, I think everyone can see a happier Benteke this year compared to last. However, I am not foolish enough to believe Benteke is not going to leave in the summer, it is a big possibility.

What that told me was that Benteke clearly sees us as a platform to much bigger things (and there's nothing wrong with that) and he probably wants to achieve that sooner rather than later. I'm not suggesting that he isn't happy here to clarify but I'm pretty sure that he is already planning ahead. 

I agree with you. But it means that CB will have to perform at his best on a consistent basis to achieve that aim. If that happens, it puts us in a better bargaining position to demand a bigger fee for CB. It is a win-win situation. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

He can reach the top and the fact his supply route is the likes of Gabby, Weimann, KEA etc, makes me sad. Just think what he would do with a midfield of Young, Milner, Petrov, Barry.

Wouldn't even surprise me if he wanted to move to Everton (If they had any funds), there are a lot of teams that are now better than us and would enable him to express himself more.

• Like 1

One more season would be great. That's be 3 years out a player we really have no right to have in our squad at the moment. Even if he went for £15m then he'd have been worth his weight in gold to us

• Like 1

One more season would be great. That's be 3 years out a player we really have no right to have in our squad at the moment. Even if he went for £15m then he'd have been worth his weight in gold to us

Exactly. his goals have pretty much kept us up for 2 seasons so even if he went on a free he would have been more than worth it.

Exactly. his goals have pretty much kept us up for 2 seasons so even if he went on a free he would have been more than worth it.

Id love to be in on the meeting where this is explained to Learner!

He never acknowledges the fans at the gates outside Villa Park. Miserable git.

So he is not signing any autographs for the fans after games????

When he leaves the players exit at the corner of the north stand where the players go to their cars and where the away coach is parked, the young kids chant his name or shout for him to come over, he completely ignores them. Although it is his right to, he has no obligation to if he doesn't want to.

He can reach the top and the fact his supply route is the likes of Gabby, Weimann, KEA etc, makes me sad. Just think what he would do with a midfield of Young, Milner, Petrov, Barry.

Wouldn't even surprise me if he wanted to move to Everton (If they had any funds), there are a lot of teams that are now better than us and would enable him to express himself more.

It would be interesting to see what he could do if we had players with vision and delivery playing off him rather than Gabby and Weimann. If he does stay next season, and that's a big if, then I'd like to see, at the very least, one of those two replaced with better quality.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He never acknowledges the fans at the gates outside Villa Park. Miserable git.

So he is not signing any autographs for the fans after games????

When he leaves the players exit at the corner of the north stand where the players go to their cars and where the away coach is parked, the young kids chant his name or shout for him to come over, he completely ignores them. Although it is his right to, he has no obligation to if he doesn't want to.

Sounds like exactly what Mark Bosnich used to do when he was with us!! When i was younger he never ONCE signed autographs for anyone by Trinity Tunnel in the 90's, had season ticket there for 3 years and got number top players autographs but not Mark's and neither did lot of others :D

Edited by Villan4Life

Absolutely disgraceful showing, I said in the match thread that it was one of the worst performances from a forward that I've seen and I still think that. His performance had 'everything', missed sitters, missed great chances and abysmal hold up play.

Â