Christian Benteke

Kwan

Because it can be subjective. Lambert didn't sign any of those players, but a contract is a contract. I wonder why it's generally footballers/sportsmen that get the wrath of the "earn too much" argument.

Quite happy to throw bankers, CEOs, Politico quango sitters and Royalty into that pot too.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-fg-b4QMic8

I'm still so grateful for the goals and celebrations he gave me and us as a Football club. 

pfff he is so good :(

He shoudnt listen to his agent. Money will come to him.

he doesn't see it, his agent has blindfolded him. if i had a gun with 2 bullets and was locked in a room with joey barton,materazzi and Benteke's agent id shoot his agent twice.

Edited by Belgian guy
  • Like 1

I know this report is from "The Mirror" but I had been waiting for the player/agent to play the do not block my dream move card and to pair it with the "more drastic action" one. It would be a pity that a offer of over £60,000-a-week could have "blown Villa's new contract offer out of the water" and that Benteke it seems views coming back to play for the club and fans that he was a hero for last season as anathema. The question is whether he is prepared to risk his international place by spending a season refusing to play for us and whether we are also prepared to allow this and risk seeing his transfer worth lowered in the same way that Bent's has been. I back us to stay up with or without him although it seems fans of other clubs do not. The ball is in our court as well as his and now is the time for us to make a stand or to prove we are a selling club that can be bullied by other clubs and by our own players should they choose.

• Like 1

He gave us some of the happiest times.

Sunderland

Stoke

Norwich in the cup

All of my (personal) highlights of the season. 

I've got the Stoke match on my DVR and watched it again the other day, CB really had a very poor game. His goal was well-taken but it's the only worthwhile thing he did in the whole match. He let Shawcross and Huth bully him the whole time, and just kept petulantly appealing to the ref for fouls that were clearly never going to get called. That was one of his off-days (and he still got a goal out of it). Delph was the real stand-out for us in the Stoke match (and of course Lowton's screamer).

Sunderland was CB's highlight match for sure. But the Stoke match reminded me that he is still very much the unfinished article. He's also got some disciplnary issues, like grabbing Bassong by the throat in the Norwich game, throwing the elbow and kicking John Terry in the chest in the Chelsea game, etc. I think that's why we're not seeing much interest other than Spurs, and why Spurs are reluctant to value him as highly as we do.

• Like 1

"compare this guy leaving to Stewart Downing, worlds apart". I take your point bradarmstrong but the lack of respect both have shown to the club and fans is very much the same.

Oh his day unplayable but that day wasn't there all the time.

I think there's a fair bit of romanticising about Benteke and don't get me wrong, i think he's great. However, if you actually break down his goal tally to tap ins and penalties, he didn't make such a huge contribution as people are stating and I feel like we're unfairly underrated our other players and their importance.

I'm expected to get torn apart for this, but I think he's slightly overrated by us lot because of select games in the last few months. He was anonymous for a few of the games in that run in as well. Even Sunderland he didn't really wake up in until the 2nd half when he had a tap in and a scuffed shot that Mignolet made an absolute hash off.

(please don't hurt me)

• Like 2

Not even a hint of a quote in that article. Shameful stuff.

Why does there have to be quotes? Its very likely that Villa will leak stuff to the press to put pressure on Bentakey and spuds. James Nursey is a reliable source

Not even a hint of a quote in that article. Shameful stuff.

Why does there have to be quotes? Its very likely that Villa will leak stuff to the press to put pressure on Bentakey and spuds. James Nursey is a reliable source

Because they validate the story. If it does not have quotes it is not news. It is analysis.

It is really simple to do. An unnamed source said, "blah blah blah Villa sucks."

Sunderland

Stoke

Norwich in the cup

I've got the Stoke match on my DVR and watched it again the other day, CB really had a very poor game. His goal was well-taken but it's the only worthwhile thing he did in the whole match. He let Shawcross and Huth bully him the whole time, and just kept petulantly appealing to the ref for fouls that were clearly never going to get called. That was one of his off-days (and he still got a goal out of it). Delph was the real stand-out for us in the Stoke match (and of course Lowton's screamer).

Sunderland was CB's highlight match for sure. But the Stoke match reminded me that he is still very much the unfinished article. He's also got some disciplnary issues, like grabbing Bassong by the throat in the Norwich game, throwing the elbow and kicking John Terry in the chest in the Chelsea game, etc. I think that's why we're not seeing much interest other than Spurs, and why Spurs are reluctant to value him as highly as we do.

I wasn't really stating his performance. But he scored a goal for us to go 3-1 up guaranteeing the win against those Stoke trolls and sending myself, my dad and the rest of the Villa fans in raptures. Thats what mattered to me. Not the fact he had a mediocre game. 

I do not for one minute think he's the finished article. But damn he gave us some good times! 

Edited by KjParton

Something is only worth what people are prepared to play. There are plenty of clubs willing to pay bentekke 70kpw - sadly we aint one of them

Dear Mr. New Ferrari salesman,

I can afford to run one of your cars, even at 12mpg, but I can only pay you £10k for a new one. That's okay, right?

Yours,

Mr. I-think-Ferraris-are-great-but-don't-think-they-are-worth-paying-for-Levy.

Oh his day unplayable but that day wasn't there all the time.

I think there's a fair bit of romanticising about Benteke and don't get me wrong, i think he's great. However, if you actually break down his goal tally to tap ins and penalties, he didn't make such a huge contribution as people are stating and I feel like we're unfairly underrated our other players and their importance.

I'm expected to get torn apart for this, but I think he's slightly overrated by us lot because of select games in the last few months. He was anonymous for a few of the games in that run in as well. Even Sunderland he didn't really wake up in until the 2nd half when he had a tap in and a scuffed shot that Mignolet made an absolute hash off.

(please don't hurt me)

This is a fair opinion. We will cope without Benteke next season and be equally excited with his replacement.

• Like 1

Sunderland

Stoke

Norwich in the cup

Was at the stoke game and although we outplayed them for 70 minutes Benteke really did not play well at all. At the time i felt that maybe he had been told to keep away from the

thuggish challenges with the stoke center half's as we would need him fit for the rest of the season. If you watch closely he hardly challenged for any of the 50 / 50 aerial battles,  

more waiting for the second ball or knock down from the defenders who anticipated his challenge. He still has a lot to learn to be in the same class as Drogba although i'm sure he's

had his fair share of knocks coming from the Belgium league and on the international front too. 

A little short tempered maybe - given the petulant transfer request he has put in.

Sunderland

Stoke

Norwich in the cup

What about his performance at Anfield. His back heal was the icing.

I unfortunately couldn't make Liverpool, as i said the ones i listed were my personal highlights as i was there, but It was a great backheel.

Mirror

'Benteke is my friend,' said Hazard. 'We get on very well. He had an unbelievable first season for a young striker in the Premier League. His dream is to play even higher.

'As for his decision, I think it's the right one because he has the quality to impose himself and to make his mark at any club. So, I wasn't surprised, no. 

Good friend: Hazard has welcomed talk of international team-mate Christian Benteke joining Chelsea

'We speak all the time and he told me: "Right, I've done well. What next?" I think he's got all the attributes to do well at a big club. I don't know if that will be Chelsea. It's not my decision.'

Edited by HalfTimePost

Â