Christian Benteke

Kwan

Spurs fan here.

I really liked Aston Villa last season with what they were doing, a young exciting squad and manager, playing attractive football for large parts... I presumed I too, the fans associated with club would be clued up and respectable. 

Jesus Christ how wrong was I, are you seriously all that delusional? The stuff I've read on here is nothing short of embarrassing for a supposed 'football fan'. I tried to refrain from signing up but it's so hard to bite my tongue with the amount of absolute rubbish being spouted here at times. Normally you find on a fans forum there will be a delusional minority but the sensible minority will put them in their place. Example being, Spurs fan 1: We're going to win the league this year. Spurs fan 2,3,4: Don't be ridiculous we will do well to challenge for top 4. 

Sadly this isn't the case on here, delusion seems to manifest and be encouraged. 

It's not so much the wild valuations you're throwing on Benteke I have a problem with; it's more so the outright outrageous comments how we aren't CURRENTLY a lot more successful and bigger than you. 

I can't believe I read a few pages back that the only player someone would take from our team was Bale, absolutely laughable and quite frankly embarrassing. Surely if you know football you'd recognise Lloris, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Siggy, Holtby to name a few would walk into your team? 

I understand 'rose tinted' glasses syndrome but some of you fans on here are taking it to the next level... Spurs a 'sideways' step from Villa? What the same Spurs who have been in the top 5 the last 4 season running? 

I'm disappointed as a general football fan to not have read more than one or two SENSIBLE comments regarding Spurs as a club and the whole situation. 

All in all, I know it's frustrating losing a player and that's football; we'll no doubt have the same with Bale next season but then we'll recognise Madrid have a bigger allure and stature, something you seem to struggle with.

Rant over, bring on the incoherent, poor rebuttals... Unless there is any sane fans on here?

P.S Sincerely, good luck for next season you're building something here and I'm sure you won't be near relegation again.

A lot of what you say is correct. But I do think you've misrepresented the amount of people holding various arguments. There is undoubtedly some disparity between how Villa and Spurs fans would value Benteke. But let's not forget that Levy and a vast number of your fans value Bale at around the £80m mark. Why does this disparity over Benteke exist? Because the cost to Villa is far greater than the potential benefit to be gained by Spurs.

I do suggest you come with a slightly more open mind next time.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 2

Got to be £30 million to START a negotiation about IF we want to keep him - how much more we are prepared to pay him OR if we want to sell him to a team that we will be competing with next season ( if spurs do table an offer). We could still get a CL club in for him ie ci£eh or elsewhere in Europe. If he's going I would prefer he goes abroad - he might do our defense some damage if we have to play against him.

I have seen posts referring to the fact that he actually wants to go to spurs ? I think this is just the're fans wishful thinking - David Villa was going there last week and he has moved for less than £5 mill. 

Is it? 

Yes because Villa and Benteke are of the exact same stature in the footballing world.

One is Spain's all time leading goalscorer who has played for one of the worlds biggest clubs and another is a young, relatively raw striker who has (I'll concede) a very impressive debut season in the PL.

----

As said before, it's tough as Benteke is your prized asset but you're being delusional if you think he wouldn't fancy a move to Spurs.

Not one person has said he wouldn't want to go Spurs, I have already stated the reason of why he wants to go there, you can offer him a lot more money, and a chance to play every week which he needs to be in line for a World Cup shot, most of our fans are angry at the valuations Spurs fans are putting on his head i.e. he isn't worth 15million or actually he's overrated, he's a one season wonder. Now let me ask you this if Benteke scored 19 goals after one season with you, would you sell him on the cheap to anyone?

What annoys me about all this is that Spurs fans are expecting us to roll over and sell Benteke for whatever price they feel is right. Benteke pretty much carried us last season and kept us in the league (along with Guzan for those about to start moaning), much like Spurs being a one man team last season with Bale firing them into the Europa League. If Spurs were to sell Bale his price would be greater than his actual value because he is far and away their most important player - IMO Spurs would ask for £80m for him, which is quite a bit higher than his actual value (£50m IMO). We are doing the same with our player as he is did so much for us last season and we will be much much weaker without him.

Football is all about era's - it's swings and roundabouts. The past 4 yrs spurs have done very well and you can see why he wold want to go there now. But dont come on here and say you are a bigger club than us because you simply aren't.

Right, this is open again after a huge clean up.

Any repeat of some of the last couple of pages and people will find themselves having their permission to post on the site removed.

If there is an issue use the report function rather than making things worse by replying.

Lets just say that Benteke does go to Spurs.

Now lets just suppose next season he is as good as last season or possibly even better and then has a decent World Cup. What would be Bentekes value then £35 million, £40 million +. Levy will probably value him at £50 million.

If Spurs want to buy him they need to factor in the fact they could probably double their investment in 12 months so lets forget silly bids of sub £25 million because if our club have any kind of sense they will want £30 million and if no one pays it then fine. In 12 months time we could be see substantially bigger figures being discussed.

I'm not posting the all-time Premier League table below to settle any arguments about whether I might be delusional for thinking that certain teams are not really that much bigger than us (if at all).  Instead, I'm posting it in order to suggest that, if Benteke were to move, he'd probably want to go to one of London's big clubs - Chelsea or Arsenal - rather than a club that has never finished as high as Aston Villa in the Premier League and only enjoys a marginally higher average points per season than us.   In fact, my money is on him going to a club that can afford him, like Arsenal - the club he supports. 

Pos.                         Pld W    D    L    GF  GA GD  Pts   Avg Pts  Bes Pos.
1 Manchester United  810 528 168 114 1627 703 924 1752  83.43        1
2 Arsenal                   810 436 214 160 1417 754 663 1522  72.48        1
3 Chelsea                  810 423 208 179 1357 780 577 1477  70.33        1
4 Liverpool                 810 396 207 207 1307 796 511 1395  66.43        2
5 Tottenham Hotspur  810 315 213 282 1138 1066 72 1158  55.19        4
6 Aston Villa               810 293 251 266 1020 992 28  1130   53.81        2
Edited by thefeet1980

When we do sell him regardless to whom i really hope we

A. Get a decent sum £25m and upwards

B. Include a future sell on % clause

C. Include a performance clause if he goes on to do well, and i think he will do very well

Im sad to see him go but i think it's inevitable and i was counting on it all along, hopefully it will be resolved asap so we can go on and build our team with some of the money this transfer will bring in

Edited by sne

I wouldnt place much weight on the views of any of the players, especially done through the media;  They probably wont have much more of a clue than the rest of us.

sounds 100% hes leaving going by Helenius comments

Helenius or any of the other players (save for maybe the ones that Benteke is closest to, like Sylla perhaps) are hardly going to know what's going on. Helenius is even quoted as saying that the players aren't being told much, only that he's put in a transfer request. I wouldn't read anything into it, not that I think Benteke will stay or anything.

Now lets just suppose next season he is as good as last season or possibly even better and then has a decent World Cup. What would be Bentekes value then £35 million, £40 million +. Levy will probably value him at £50 million.

If Spurs want to buy him they need to factor in the fact they could probably double their investment in 12 months so lets forget silly bids of sub £25 million because if our club have any kind of sense they will want £30 million and if no one pays it then fine. In 12 months time we could be see substantially bigger figures being discussed.

That's what sell on clauses are for

Personally I wouldn't call Tottenham a sidestep at this moment in time, but it was only in 2009/10 that they actually took over us position wise by a few places. I know we've bit crap since then, but 07/08, 08/09 we were ahead of them and it wasn't actually that long ago.

People have short memories, but either way Spuds can't afford him in my opinion, he won't go to Chelsea - basically he kinda needs Arsenal to come in for him but whether Wenger will pay such amounts for somebody with one season under their belt is another question.

Hilarious how he's spent almost a year telling everyone how he loves Arsenal, but now he's desperate to play for their most bitter rivals.

I'm sure his IQ is lower than his goal total last season.

maybe because he doesn't love Arsenal? and you can laugh at his IQ he still makes more money then all of us together.

That's what sell on clauses are for

Lets hope our board are savvy enough to include one then like they should have done with Cahill.

Â