Christian Benteke

Kwan

Gutted, but, that's football these days! I was never over confident that we'd keep him anyway but I thought that someone would bid, we'd reject, he'd throw his toys out of the pram, then maybe hand in a transfer request. 

It's a big shame that football is like this now. Very rarely do you see any sort of loyalty anymore. We take a gamble on a player that was relatively unknown outside of Belgium, expose him on a worldwide stage, he has a great season and then hands in a transfer request. Yeah, cheers, Benteke! As I say though, that is football these days! Sadly, we were always going to be just a stepping stone for him. 

I just hope that we are asking for more than the reported 20-25 million. I say 30 million minimum, but, if it's Tottenham then say 35-40 million. Give Daniel Levy some of his own inflated prices medicine! 

Shame but I accepted it a long time ago

You simply now have to try and enjoy every good game a player has for your club because with a club like villa they will be off to bigger pastures new before you know it

I will certainly be trying to do that with okore next season

No swaps, no stupid loans. Pure cash - 35 million take it or leave it. Buy three hungry players from a country that aren't full of players who use clubs as stepping stones. The difference is that when Fellaini did the same, Everton would not let him go. Time to sign some more Scandinavians. Marcus Pedersen?

Is this the much vaunted Dortmand model in action, for Benteke read Lewandowski (or Gotze)?

Whilst disappointing news we move on (go again). The important thing is to maximise the transfer fee for Benteke and re-invest in the next Benteke.

Don't really care where he goes, as long as they cough up the money. Minimum, for me, would be £28m. The big hope is that PL and the club knew this was going to happen, or at least suspected it, and have a suitable replacement lined up, which causes the minimum of disruptions to pre-season.

• Like 1

Completely expected this and said so a while back.

He's too good for us and proved it with his incredible development last season, he wants to play with better players and compete for trophies, something he'll never get here. Plus we're paying what amounts to chump change given his ability and the money he could be earning elsewhere.

Benteke does what's best for himself, he walked out on Genk and I just knew he'd do the same here.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

It's a sad but not totally unexpected state of affairs really.

I just hope the club stick to their guns on this one, especially where his valuation is concerned. We've carried the likes of Ireland on the books without playing him for several seasons - we can afford to do the same to CB if we don't receive the right bid.

This has obviously been brewing for some time at the club (hence him being given 'extra' time off and missing the Germany tour) and I just hope that re-investment is already being actioned.

I honestly thought CB would give us another season, storm the league and then the World Cup and go to anywhere he wanted, with the club's blessing. Unfortunately and typically someone's planted a seed in CB's head about greener grass on a yonder field....

I don't want to wish him any ill or injury but hope his next move be it to Chelski, Spudzzz or wherever is the wrong choice and he becomes yet another one season wonder.

People need to stop trotting out the "If Andy Carroll is worth £35m then such and such a player is worth £50m" line.

Andy Carroll was never worth £35m. It was an insane transaction. Do you really think Faulkner is going to be on the phone to Chelsea saying "Well, Liverpool paid £35m for Carroll, we want £40m for Benteke"?

Why is it irrelevant? They themselves paid 50M for Fernando Torres so I doubt they'd scoff at such a transaction.

Torres is one of the most successful players in football. He's won the World cup, European Championship, Champions League, Fa Cups, League Cups, Europa League... comparing him to Benteke or Carroll is a joke.

A little bit shocked, to be honest, I thought he'd have the good sense to stay with us. 

I hope we do not sell him to another British club, that would hurt. We know we're not one of the big boys any more, but selling our best players to them is difficult to stomach. 

CB what a scum bag.

What will hurt more is if we get our pants pulled down over the price. No player swaps please, just hard cash and lots of it. I would like some of 'your going in the reserves if we someone doesn't meet our demands' please as well

Over to you AVFC.

Disappointing he couldn't give us another season. Have to say I'm surprised, I really thought in a world cup year he wouldn't want to risk the starting spot he currently has with Belgium.

It's not a disaster though. Let's face it if it wasn't this year it was going to be next year. Plus, there are so many clubs in need of a big physical striker. Have to think Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, maybe even Man City are interested. We have a very good chance of starting a bidding war and getting the maximum possible price. 

I doubt it affects Bent's status so we will need a replacement, that's the biggest problem right now, Kone and Bony were possible replacements that have already moved. If we could get £25m plus Ba that looks a good deal to me. 

No swaps, no stupid loans. Pure cash - 35 million take it or leave it. Buy three hungry players from a country that aren't full of players who use clubs as stepping stones. The difference is that when Fellaini did the same, Everton would not let him go. Time to sign some more Scandinavians. Marcus Pedersen?

Marcus Pedersen to replace Benteke? Trolling surely :bang:

Â