Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

I agree that he did lose his way a bit, however that is completely understandable because he simply isn't a defender. As you say, a young player is bound to make mistakes, especially if he is being played in a new position in a new league. He has made a huge step up from Groningen to us in the Premier League and although he had a few poor games, he kept the likes of Hazard and Baines in his back pocket.

As I keep saying, I'd prefer us to play him further up the pitch, however if Sherwood thinks he can genuinely mould him into a right back I'm all for it - really think he can become a good player. Not a world beater, but a good player.

Agree with that, people only seem to remember the Stoke game for his poor defensive performances. But forget the week before he kept Hazard quiet, but that'll be down to luck and the Stoke performance was down to his normal self.

Indeed, it's why I don't understand the "he'll be found out against better sides" argument either. He had some of his best performances against the stronger sides and some of his worst against dross like Fulham and Albion.

• Like 1

Always rated him at RB, and his crossing/distribution is better than Hutton.

Had Hazard in his pocket last year, and seems to me the kind of player that the less complicated his role , the better he is.As RB, his role is to mark the wide man, mark the space, and try to support the attack, he does that very well in some games, and how old is he?

Walker is rated at £20m?, and what was he like yday?

For me his long term future is as a right back. I don't think he has the neccessary skills to play as a right winger. He has the potential to be better than  Kyle Walker who of course replaced Hutton in the Spurs team. I hope Sherwood persists with him in that position. Yes he might make a few errors but what he offers going forward far exceeds what Hutton offers and he's only 23.

Edited by PaulC

We'll play Hutton at right back against stronger teams or teams with strong threat down the left wing. Against the weaker teams or games where he can bomb forward we'll be using him and N'Zogbia to give us quick counter attacking football. Sunderland couldn't cope with it, there will be others who can't.

• 4 weeks later...

He is still learning the position. Personally I think he can become a great full back.

He's 23 - he just doesn't defend well, it's not about learning IMO.

Well, considering he isn't a full back, if he's going to play there it kind of is about learning really isn't it?

The same right-back who had a stormer against Chelsea last season and marked Hazard out the game I think? And the same right-back who was immense away at Sunderland a few weeks back. He's a utility player, but writing him off as a right-back shouldn't be done. He didn't sign as a right back, definitely still learning the position. Just wish he'd pass to a Villa player a bit more accurately at times!

He is still learning the position. Personally I think he can become a great full back.

Well, considering he isn't a full back, if he's going to play there it kind of is about learning really isn't it?

He's played as a full back many times - he hasn't learnt how to defend and some people just aren't good at things. Learning can only take you so far, your actual ability will dictate if you're any good or not and I think he doesn't have it.

He's played as a full back many times - he hasn't learnt how to defend and some people just aren't good at things. Learning can only take you so far, your actual ability will dictate if you're any good or not and I think he doesn't have it.

To be fair, he played mostly there under Lambert, and that was all about defending. He might do better in a team which is more expressive.

A team which is more expressive is more likely to expose his limitations as a defender, which is exactly what happened yesterday. I have no problem with him playing further forward - he might be a bit of a foal on rollerskates at times, but he makes things happen up the pitch. But when we're under pressure, and men are committed upfield, he doesn't have the instincts to make good decisions. For their first goal yesterday, he launched a floaty header into the air, close to the centre of the goal at the edge of the penalty area. It was a snap decision, and totally the wrong one - to me, that's instinct, and he doesn't have good defensive instincts.