Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Only managed the highlights this week, and I've only just watched them.  There was an awful lot of adverse comment about his performance in the match thread, which doesn't seem to be justified at all by what I saw.

Thought he had a good game all through, and of course a free kick to die for.

Bacuna was one of our most standout players for me, if not the most. Definite MOM. Even before he did that free kick. 

He is solid and pacey in defence, so he never got caught out, and he did well going forwards. I think the match thread is the worst place to judge a football match. The angst on there is hilarious. 

The Man City match thread contains the now-legendary "Bacuna is not a footballer".

I think in some ways Bacuna could be our new Ashley Young: underwhelming at times, but likely to provide a spark occasionally that changes a game.

Already a great signing. At that price it's impressive to even get a decent squad utility player, someone who can take a great set piece (or at least free kick) and looks more than competent from open play is just icing on the cake at that price. Very sweet icing.

• Like 2

I reckon Bacuna and Lowton on the right would be a cracking combo. Each is capable of doing the others job so the opportunity (once they've developed an understanding) for either to get forward and cross would prove prove very effective, rather like Graydon and Gidman (for the more mature VTer).

• Like 2

I think in some ways Bacuna could be our new Ashley Young: underwhelming at times, but likely to provide a spark occasionally that changes a game.

James Milner would be a better comparison. Watch this near-identical goal (like Bacuna's against Cardiff) - http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/aston-villa-2-3-everton-milner

he should be taking all the corners. I dont know why PL persists with Westwood or Tonev

I don't remember Tonev taking a corner in a competitive game this season?

yeah i think i saw him take a few against Cardiff. They werent bad.. but when Bacuna can place the ball wherever he wants.. its a bit of a no brainer for me

I don't think he plays best at RB I think that's just the position he's been in once he'd got used to the Prem. playing him in midfield will make better use of his stamina and vision. I think I would play him on the right side of a 4-4-2 ahead of Lowton, or the right side of midfield 4-3-2-1 with Westwood in the centre and Delph on the left, gabby tekkers and andi in front.

other option is to stick him in the attacking part of a midfield diamond.

I don't think Lambert sees him or wants him at RB long-term. he was given the #7 shirt and I think that has more significance than has been mentooned. in fact I don't think it's been mentioned at all

he should be taking all the corners. I dont know why PL persists with Westwood or Tonev

yeah i think i saw him take a few against Cardiff. They werent bad.. but when Bacuna can place the ball wherever he wants.. its a bit of a no brainer for me

I think Westwood took them all to be honest. I can't remember Tonev taking one?

I think Bacuna will really flourish when he's moved farther forward. It's not that he's wasted at RB, but I think he has far more to offer going forward. His crosses are usually on point, great set piece taker, shown a little bit of skill and pace, strong on the ball.

Looking like another great buy.

Edited by Kwan

I think Bacuna will really flourish when he's moved farther forward. It's not that he's wasted at RB, but I think he has far more to offer going forward. His crosses are usually on point, great set piece taker, shown a little bit of skill and pace, strong on the ball.

What's impressed me most about him(except his freekicks) is that he never seem to get beaten. He looks like winning  every 1 on 1 challenge as a defending player. Correct me if I'm wrong here though. I just feel very safe with him at RB. It's also the possision where he stepped up his game. To me he looked a bit lost in midfield, but this was the early days though and it might have changed by now. Him being pushed further up the pitch changing the game against cardiff might be evident of that. I also feel that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted so Lowton being pushed further up the pitch might be more of a threath. Them combining and overlapping migth turn out to be very dangerous going forward no matter which of them plays at Rb.

What's impressed me most about him(except his freekicks) is that he never seem to get beaten. He looks like winning  every 1 on 1 challenge as a defending player. Correct me if I'm wrong here though. I just feel very safe with him at RB. It's also the possision where he stepped up his game. To me he looked a bit lost in midfield, but this was the early days though and it might have changed by now. Him being pushed further up the pitch changing the game against cardiff might be evident of that. I also feel that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted so Lowton being pushed further up the pitch might be more of a threath. Them combining and overlapping migth turn out to be very dangerous going forward no matter which of them plays at Rb.

Not sure I agree with your assessment that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted. Only time I can remember I defense splitting pass in the league this season was bacuna slipping one in for el-ahmadi's goal against city. Also, think Bacuna has been shown to have excellent technical ability with his crossing, freekicks and I seem to remember him scoring a goal in pre-season where he cut in on his left and stuck it top corner. Only technically proficient part of Lowtons game where he stands out as being good is his crossing which i think he does better from a deeper position so would be more suited to doing so from right back. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Bacuna further forward either as right hand side of 4-4-2 or right hand side of central trio of 4-3-3 when gabby and weimann are back.

He looked a fish out of water playing right midfield against Liverpool but he certainly deserves another go playing there particularly as it seems Gabby will be out for a few more weeks yet.

Don't even think it needs to be RM, I'd like to see him in the midfield trio when Delph is out, as he offers us something different. As he has a bit of drive to get forward.

I'd go with this if Delph / luna are back, but Andi and gabby dont make it.

..........................Guzan..........................

..............Vlaar.....Clark.....Baker.............

Lowton...........................................Luna

......................Westwood.......................

............Bacuna...........Delph...................

...........Benteke.............Kozak................

Like to see the Bacuna Lowton combo

Edited by villan_007

I was sure Westwood took them all...