Stoke - Pullis out Hughes in

rjw63

i'm going straight round to betfred, see what odds i can get on Stoke going down. MH ffs, hes as bad a AMcL. how do these people keep getting jobs when all they do is fail.

He didn't fail at Blackburn & Fulham.

i'm going straight round to betfred, see what odds i can get on Stoke going down. MH ffs, hes as bad a AMcL. how do these people keep getting jobs when all they do is fail.

If you take out the first 12 games if this season Hughes record is not bad. It's crazy how short memories we all have.

• Like 1

I see that he is the new Stoke manager.

He could not do much at man $ity or Q.P.R. with all the money that these clubs have, so I expect Stoke to be in the Championship within 2 seasons.

On the flip side he did ok with Blackburn and Fulham so in my view, the jury is still out on him as a manager. 

Stoke sack Pullis for wasting alot of money in the transfer market, and playing boring football.

So they hire a manager who got sacked from his last 2 positions for wasting alot of money in the transfer market, and playing boring football.

On the other hand, he's done OK at clubs who haven't had lots of money to throw around. So perhaps he's more... that sort of manager.. Some managers are good with money, some are better on a tight budget. Stoke, I would say, are about on par with the money Blackburn had when he did so well there. Man City and QPR gave him alot of money and demanded instant success, I don't think that suits him. I'm not sure he's the sort of manager to change the way Stoke play, but I don't think he'll be as bad an appointment as some seem to think. 

So they hire a manager who got sacked from his last 2 positions for wasting alot of money in the transfer market, and playing boring football.

he was at Fulham before QPR and did a better job than Jol. He is a strange manager. Give him a small budget and he will do well, give him a big budget and he will crumble.

Considering all the money City have wasted 2 of their best players are the ones he signed for cheap in Zabaleta and Kompany

I mostly agree Zatman.. I'd forgotten about Fulham in truth, and Zabaletta and Kompany are not just City's best players, but they've got to be about their longest serving now.. Not many other players have survived the changearound of managers and squad which City have had since Hughes left. 

But... Hughes' record with transfers at Blackburn wasn't exactly faultless. Remember Maceio Rigters (sp?)? Signed for about half a million before they played him about 4 times, realised he was actually quite shite and sent him out on loan for the rest of his contract. I only remember him because there was a discussion on the radio a few months ago where they were discussing the worst ever signings by the so-called 'big managers', he was mentioned and I was "ahh yeah, I remember him, he was bollocks". I seem to remember his first 2 touches in English football were a miscontrolled pass and then he stood on the ball. 

And for Man City - for every Vincent Kompany there's a Tel Ben Haim (6-7m?). 

And if you want big money flops there's Robinho (32m) and Santa Cruz (17m).

Icing on the cake: Jo. 19 million from CSKA. Loaned out to 3 different clubs to wind down his contract and then left on a free. Now playing back in Brazil, for Athletico Minerio (thanks Wikipedia). 

Also - the whole 'can buy well when on a tight budget', very much fell down at QPR. OK, wages were high so perhaps there was added pressure, but in terms of transfer fee's he signed Rob Green, Park Ji Sung, Andy Johnson, Jose Boswinga plus I'm sure a few others all on frees but none were good enough and when Hughes was sacked they were the first people out of the team and training with the reserves.

Maceo Rigters was an unfulfilled talent ;) In Hughes defence he made a mistake of signing a player on a tournament as I think he was top scorer in under 21 tournament.

We will see how it goes for him at Stoke but I dont think will be as gloomy as people make out

Maceo Rigters was an unfulfilled talent ;) In Hughes defence he made a mistake of signing a player on a tournament as I think he was top scorer in under 21 tournament.

We will see how it goes for him at Stoke but I dont think will be as gloomy as people make out

A large proportion of that Dutch u21 team flopped in England.

Donk and Zuiverloon both didn't cut it at West Brom. De Ridder played a little for the bluenoses and Wigan. Drenthe didn't impress at Everton and Babel tried to play for Liverpool.

A large proportion of that Dutch u21 team flopped in England.

Donk and Zuiverloon both didn't cut it at West Brom. De Ridder played a little for the bluenoses and Wigan. Drenthe didn't impress at Everton and Babel tried to play for Liverpool.

Not to mention a few full internationals, Dutch domestic football is really weak and a lot of players moving to the PL can't hack it.

Cringing listening to some Stoke fans on SSN who are disappointed that mighty Stoke didn't go for Benitez instead of Hughes.

And I thought we were delusional. :)

There were fans on here calling for Ancelotti, Benitez and Capello after McLeish was sacked. All fans have a group of morons.

True, but I don't think many if any of us realised just how dire the financial situation was at the time. We'd spent £30m the previous January. 

Edit - Assumed you meant Houllier. Your point stands!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

While he is without doubt an incredibly strange choice considering how the club are hoping to evolve I don't think they are in much danger next season. The Hughes shitness factor has been massively over hyped by the press because the worse he is perceived the better the media's best butt buddy 'Arry comes out of the whole QPR debacle.

Edited by flamingsombrero

• 1 month later...
Â