rjw63

Yeah, my mistake,  In full:

01] Wenger (Arsenal) 16 years 232 days

02] Pardew (Newcastle) 2 years 163 days

03] Allardyce (West Ham) 1 year 354 days

04] Jol (Fulham) 1 year 348 days

05] Rodgers (Liverpool) 354 days

06] Lambert (Villa) 353 days

English footballs expectations of managerial reigns have been massively distorted by Fergie and Wenger (and to a lesser extent, Moyes) but the truth is 2-3 seasons is all you get these days and it has been like that for quite a while for most clubs.  Will Lambert still be in charge of the Villa in 2015/16? Probably not. 

If you're discounting Martinez 'cause he's relegated then surely you should include Mackay who's been promoted. That puts Rodgers 6th, you were right the first time IMO.

An incredible stat here, but not surprising. 

Of Stoke's 190 Premier League games since promotion in 2008, they have had >50% possession in only 13.

I'm pretty sure one was our home game against them last year. I remember proper slagging off McLeish about it.

Done a fairly good job I think.

Has spent biiig though. Similar to Big Sam, though he's more certain to get you safe in the Premier League. He'll have a big wage budget, but can normally save a bit in the transfer market.

Yeah, my mistake,  In full:

01] Wenger (Arsenal) 16 years 232 days

02] Pardew (Newcastle) 2 years 163 days

03] Allardyce (West Ham) 1 year 354 days

04] Jol (Fulham) 1 year 348 days

05] Rodgers (Liverpool) 354 days

06] Lambert (Villa) 353 days

English footballs expectations of managerial reigns have been massively distorted by Fergie and Wenger (and to a lesser extent, Moyes) but the truth is 2-3 seasons is all you get these days and it has been like that for quite a while for most clubs.  Will Lambert still be in charge of the Villa in 2015/16? Probably not. 

I think he will actually, for a number of reasons, but yes you're point is right overall.

Undeniably Pulis can look back and say he did a good job with Stoke but I thought his time was probably up. I'd have sacked him too if I was Coates.

Palacios cost £8 million. WOW I never knew.

and was people on here moaning that we didnt sign him :) dont think ive even seen him play for Stoke, Tuncay was another player wasted at Stoke

Big article in the Guardian today about how this is the culmination of Peter Coates's desire to see Stoke start to play "the beautiful game" and Pulis's failure to deliver it. Coates brought in Mark Cartwright as Technical Director in December to help facilitate this change and, guess what, the club's form plummeted from thereon as Pulis and Cartwright failed to see eye to eye.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/21/tony-pulis-sacking-stoke?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

I think Coates has a totally unrealistic understanding of what it would take to get Stoke playing a different form of football. Pretty much complete overhaul of squad and quite a few seasons developing momentum for a new style - with a real possibility of relegation while they try to adapt. 

Having said that, I was very shocked by Pulis's remarks over the pig's head/window-screen smashing affair. He just said theirs was a dressing room with a lot of banter, and he normally kept away from the dressing room when it was going on. Complete lack of leadership there, if you ask me, and I should think it's a good thing he has left if he had so little influence over his players' behaviour and thinks putting a pig's head in a player's locker is "banter".

The way Stoke play is the way Stoke play, Pulis has created that, a period of change will leave them in a mess just like we were and unless they sign Benteke Mark II next season with whoever attempts to change their style they're likely to be in a relegation scrap.

I can't believe the stats regarding managerial longevity, so much for stability huh. I really hope Lambert is here for a while, this chop and change business is getting ridiculous.

Big article in the Guardian today about how this is the culmination of Peter Coates's desire to see Stoke start to play "the beautiful game" and Pulis's failure to deliver it. Coates brought in Mark Cartwright as Technical Director in December to help facilitate this change and, guess what, the club's form plummeted from thereon as Pulis and Cartwright failed to see eye to eye.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/21/tony-pulis-sacking-stoke?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

I think Coates has a totally unrealistic understanding of what it would take to get Stoke playing a different form of football. Pretty much complete overhaul of squad and quite a few seasons developing momentum for a new style - with a real possibility of relegation while they try to adapt. 

Having said that, I was very shocked by Pulis's remarks over the pig's head/window-screen smashing affair. He just said theirs was a dressing room with a lot of banter, and he normally kept away from the dressing room when it was going on. Complete lack of leadership there, if you ask me, and I should think it's a good thing he has left if he had so little influence over his players' behaviour and thinks putting a pig's head in a player's locker is "banter".

This is a manager who is supposed to have nutted one of his players while naked in a dressing room bust up remember.

• Like 1

This is a manager who is supposed to have nutted one of his players while naked in a dressing room bust up remember.

No matter what you get up to this weekend, it probably won't end up that crazy. In a way Pulis got more respect from me after that because it showed he had character :D

Martinez has 48 hours to decide if he wants the job according to the Express :crylaugh:

could be a footballing clash for the ages. Stoke cant score and Martinez teams cant defend

Surprised O'Neill isn't being linked with the Stoke job. Alright he's not exactly sexy football but it's better than Pulis and he'd be able to work with the players they have already. I suppose if they want to stop buying overpriced English players, though, he wouldn't exactly be a revolutionary step.

^^^ He is. One of the early favourites at the bookies according to the radio this morning.

Just looking at oddschecker now and he's about 16 or 20-1 in most places. Long odds. Early favourites seem to be Hughes, Di Matteo, Poyet and Benitez (surely not??). Can see it being one of the first two.

Â