Stoke - Pullis out Hughes in

rjw63

As I've said on there, he'd surely be better off going on ready to go Sunderland board as that's much more of a comparison...e.g him spending 25m on two British players rather than over the squad, lack of goals, lack of away wins, lack of plan b, relegation battle. All sounds like Stoke and Pulis this season.

Here he had a free reign and chequebook to get top 4 so that wouldn't happen at Stoke.

The thing is though BOF is that Stoke have had money to spend, lots of money and the way they play is generally the way a team with a lower budget would play to forge a hard working/'no messing/no superstars style approach. Pulis has wasted a fortune, he's refusing to take the team to a next level and move them forward, he has had the luxury to do this but his stubborn personality stopped it. I think it's fairly reasonable to be critical of Pulis' era.

It's relative though. You have to take into account what they were used to and what he did. He has presided over the most successful and competitive Stoke City side since the mid 70s. From a historical point of view Stoke are going through a purple patch. They're at the peak of their particular powers. Personally I don't think Stoke fired him. I think he walked, so I don't think it actually is a case of them being bored with mere safety, despite what I tongue-in-cheek said above, but I do think once again we're all about to find out what happens when you replace someone who has been keeping you quite easily in a division that you're not used to being in historically. Charlton and Blackburn are my most recent examples.

Actually, good shout on MON. He'd fit too.

Pulis has wasted loads.

The annoying thing for Stoke fans is any creative player they've signed has been misued, benched and soon left the club. Eidur Gudjohnson (fair enough past his best) didn't play a single minute for them, Tuncay who at the time looked a decent player at Boro only got a run of 5 games once in his Stoke career and often often couldn't get in ahead of Mama Sidibe and Charlie Adam struggled to start for a lot of the second half of the season (Shotton ahead in the first 11).

Then you have the MON esque signings of Wilson Palacios for 8m on a 4 year deal (barely gets in the 18) and Peter Crouch signed at 31 for 10m (think he scored 4 goals this year).

I do also think the demise of the long throw from Delap has also made them less of a force. Like it or not, they scored a shed load from it in 08/09 and 09/10 and even when not scoring they got corners and free kicks from it which keep up pressure in the opponents half and other scoring chances. This is pressure they simply can't inflicted when in possession.

I think Stoke fans were just stick of the negative football particularly away from home (think it's 4 wins for them in the last 38 away games) and just the general poor form as they won 3 games in 2013 and they were against QPR and Reading (relegated) and Norwich.

That said if they did appoint an MON or Mark Hughes you'd wonder what was the point.

I think it will be a similar type manager to Pulis though. Villa tried it with Houllier and Bolton with Coyle but you cant change system from that type of players,

I think MON would keep them up but not develop them as they are more his type of squad than Sunderland was as Sessegnon for example confused MON he didnt know what he was or what he was trying to do wiht the ball. At Stoke they play centre halfs at full back so he be in his element

Stoke fan on H&V asking Villa fans for opinions on MON, as they believe he could be appointed their next manager.

Ha!

I'm reading it now.

Very entertaining :)

They should go for someone younger like Poyet or DeMateo.

What is the point of sticking with the same names like MON and Hughes who have a CV full of fail.

They don't have CV's full of fail though, do they. They both have CV's of success to varying degrees and failure only in their most recent job.

With the amount of money Hughes and MON spent at their second to last jobs a chairman looking to hire would be best advised to steer clear. That's before you look at how they got on in their most recent jobs.

They're owned by the Coates family and I read the daughter is due to take over from her dad. She wants them to spend less money and become self-sufficent. Good luck doing that with Hughes or O'Neill.

If I'm honest I think Stoke are **** for the next few years. Can see them going through the kind of transition we've been going through but even worse.

The appointment of Pulis' successor will give a big clue of where Stoke, and the footballing world, view themselves.

Will it be an out of work money spender like Hughes or MON, or will they try for a Zola or Poyet type?

Hughes was a car crash at QPR which is fresh in the mind but in fairness he did finish in the top 8 with Fulham and Blackburn. Man. City difficult to judge as expectations changed overnight there when he'd just started the job.

Well looks like it's Hughes. Pretty gutted for two reasons. 

1. Stoke are going to be bloody awful to watch again next season.

2. I had a fair wack of cash on Poyet. Really thought they'd go for him. Was the obvious choice to me. Try to make Stoke become an attractive club to watch.

Hughes is a bad appointment imo.

They are going to go down next season with Mark Hughes. That extra TV money just went up in smoke for them, to be earmarked for crap players on huge contracts.

A dreadful appointment if confirmed.

Â