Stoke - Pullis out Hughes in

rjw63

Is Wenger is now the only manager in the Premier League to be at his current club for more than 3 years?

So who is the second longest running manager? Martinez?

Well Martinez isn't in the Premier League any more, so I think Pardew would be next with around 2.5 years?

The thing is though BOF is that Stoke have had money to spend, lots of money and the way they play is generally the way a team with a lower budget would play to forge a hard working/'no messing/no superstars style approach. Pulis has wasted a fortune, he's refusing to take the team to a next level and move them forward, he has had the luxury to do this but his stubborn personality stopped it. I think it's fairly reasonable to be critical of Pulis' era.

It's relative though. You have to take into account what they were used to and what he did. He has presided over the most successful and competitive Stoke City side since the mid 70s. From a historical point of view Stoke are going through a purple patch. They're at the peak of their particular powers. Personally I don't think Stoke fired him. I think he walked, so I don't think it actually is a case of them being bored with mere safety, despite what I tongue-in-cheek said above, but I do think once again we're all about to find out what happens when you replace someone who has been keeping you quite easily in a division that you're not used to being in historically. Charlton and Blackburn are my most recent examples.

Actually, good shout on MON. He'd fit too.

Is Wenger is now the only manager in the Premier League to be at his current club for more than 3 years?

So who is the second longest running manager? Martinez?

Pardew or Martinez.

He probably left the sinking ship to keep his reputation intact as he must've known that they're bound to have a very difficult season/seasons ahead and he didn't want to stay to clean mess he's caused.

I think its a MON job, his type of players that they are overpaid cloggers, an unexpectant fanbase, big budget to waste

If O'Neill gets it hopefully he comes our way to waste some money on Ireland, maybe spend over the odds for Bent. In fact, if Villa managed it properly O'Neill taking over at Stoke would get rid of our dead weight pretty quickly.

OBV speculating my wee heart out here.

Edited by juteface

Do Stoke have the players to play in any other style in order to get results? I think not, with the possible exception of Charlie Adam (who is still only 27 can you believe??).

In order to bring in a new manager, like a Poyet, they're going to have to spend a lot more money to improve the talent base, as attractive football with their lot will only end in disaster.

On another note, that's one potential suitor for Darren Bent that's now left the building.

As much as I detest pulis and his brand of football, what his done at stoke is a great acheivment, they have in 6 seasons never been in any real danger. If he has been sacked its frankly ridiculous

Edit - walked apparently. Told the club 2 months ago he was going.

Stat - since arsenal last won a trophy (2005), every other 91 league clubs have now changed there manager other than arsenal

Edited by Jimzk5

Looking at their transfermarkt, he's had a net spend of ~£100m in their 5 seasons in the top flight.

Id say £20 million a season for there midtable finishes is fairly resonable, id guess they turned over £350million in those 5 years

As of right now Alan Pardew is the second longest serving manager in the Premier League, he has been in charge of Newcastle for 2 years and 5 months. 

No one else has been in charge for longer than 2 years. 

Paul Lambert is the 7th longest serving manager.  Brendan Rodgers is 6th, as he was appointed one day before Lambert. 

Silly move, they will plummet now.

They were plummeting with him though, drastically. It was always a situation that was going to happen due to Pulis refusing to move the team forward and build for the future. What they've been left with is a load of ageing players on pretty big wages, no sell on fees. The one trick and saving grace of long throw ins no longer gets them an extra 6-7 points a season and it's the sort of team that revolves around high team spirit and high work rate, but when that goes, they are left with nothing and I think it's starting to show. 

2012-13: Premier League 13th 42 points

2011-12: Premier League 14th 45 points

2010-11: Premier League 13th 46 points

2009-10: Premier League 11th 47 points

2008-09: Premier League 12th 45 points

I wouldn't say it was a drastic plummet? This year has been tough for them but they still survived and were never in any real trouble, bar a short spell a few weeks back.

The above positions are the best Stoke can hope for. I'm not fan of Pulis but he was effective. Yeah he has spent money but you need to, even to stand still.

Edited by Xela

As of right now Alan Pardew is the second longest serving manager in the Premier League, he has been in charge of Newcastle for 2 years and 5 months. 

No one else has been in charge for longer than 2 years. 

Paul Lambert is the 7th longest serving manager.  Brendan Rodgers is 6th, as he was appointed one day before Lambert. 

Rodgers is 5th according to Sky though its quite scary

Yeah, my mistake,  In full:

01] Wenger (Arsenal) 16 years 232 days

02] Pardew (Newcastle) 2 years 163 days

03] Allardyce (West Ham) 1 year 354 days

04] Jol (Fulham) 1 year 348 days

05] Rodgers (Liverpool) 354 days

06] Lambert (Villa) 353 days

English footballs expectations of managerial reigns have been massively distorted by Fergie and Wenger (and to a lesser extent, Moyes) but the truth is 2-3 seasons is all you get these days and it has been like that for quite a while for most clubs.  Will Lambert still be in charge of the Villa in 2015/16? Probably not. 

Â