Stoke - Pullis out Hughes in

rjw63

Silly move, they will plummet now.

They were plummeting with him though, drastically. It was always a situation that was going to happen due to Pulis refusing to move the team forward and build for the future. What they've been left with is a load of ageing players on pretty big wages, no sell on fees. The one trick and saving grace of long throw ins no longer gets them an extra 6-7 points a season and it's the sort of team that revolves around high team spirit and high work rate, but when that goes, they are left with nothing and I think it's starting to show. 

For Stoke and Pulis, see Charlton Athletic and Curbishley or see Blackburn Rovers and Allardyce.

Teams with ideas above their station getting bored with the safety of midtable mediocrity are not a new thing and neither is being careful what you wish for.

Stoke have one of the most tailored and specific styles of play in the Premier League. It's all their players know. If they bring in a manager incompatible with that style for next season (and it'll be hard not to) then I can see them struggling big time.

Given how they play, I'd actually say Mick McCarthy would be a good replacement for Pulis. I'm certainly not a fan of his but I think he'd be a decent fit for them.

• Like 1

The thing is though BOF is that Stoke have had money to spend, lots of money and the way they play is generally the way a team with a lower budget would play to forge a hard working/'no messing/no superstars style approach. Pulis has wasted a fortune, he's refusing to take the team to a next level and move them forward, he has had the luxury to do this but his stubborn personality stopped it. I think it's fairly reasonable to be critical of Pulis' era. 

Â