Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

The only time he looked anyway decent was when he was switched onto the left wing vs Cardiff. He beat his man a few times and put in some really good crosses one of which led to our second goal.  Hopefully he can improve over the second half of the season .

To be fair to him, against Sheffield, he was one of the few players to me who looked like he cared and wanted to make something happen. He made some great runs and often didn't get picked out, so he'd run into some space, not receive a pass, and then vanish again. Obviously, we can wonder why he didn't get a pass, and I'm sure we can think of a few reasons, but at least he's getting himself into some decent areas and thinking positively.

It goes without saying if a player isn't performing to a level that we'd expect then they'll be criticized. That's how it works, not just in football, but in anything in life; if someone doesn't perform, then people will notice. Saying that, I do think that he has some attributes that could well be very useful. He's rather pacey IMO, and I've seen him deliver some pretty nice crosses. He's a young lad in a new country, thrown into one of the toughest leagues in the world, so there must be a pretty hefty amount of pressure there, especially when brought into a team that have just survived a relegation battle. I've been as frustrated as most people with Tonev, especially when it comes to being wasteful when produced with a good opportunity to either score or create something, but I think that, given time and coaching (if we have faith in our coaches), we can iron out some of the creases and produce a decent player. He's not going to be world class, and I don't imagine that we'll turn him into a nailed on starter week in, week out, but he can still be another option, especially if he cuts out unnecessary shooting and bursts down the wings on the counter and puts some crosses in. 

It's frustrating when we sign a player and really expect that he'll help us push on and we end up disappointed, but hopefully he'll get more comfortable, work hard in training and continue to develop. Maybe a loan could help to ease some pressure. I'm not saying that because it's his first season he shouldn't be criticized, I just think (hope!) that he's not the finished article and could still become a pretty useful player for us.

• Like 3

To be fair to him, against Sheffield, he was one of the few players to me who looked like he cared and wanted to make something happen. He made some great runs and often didn't get picked out, so he'd run into some space, not receive a pass, and then vanish again. Obviously, we can wonder why he didn't get a pass, and I'm sure we can think of a few reasons, but at least he's getting himself into some decent areas and thinking positively.

Exactly my impression when we played Swansea.

He's just very over eager that's all, he definitely has technique but the eagerness and nervousness he is showing is halting him settle and progress.

Yet even as shit as he's been, which I think he has been labelled so due to some wild shooting, he has still managed to create a number of goal scoring chances for us and arguably been unlucky not to score through good saves.

He needs a run in the team which includes not getting hauled off just as he was starting to do ok like against Sheffield. No way should Weimann stayed on that pitch over him, Tonev was easily one of our better players, unfortunately my argument isn't aided by how shit everyone else was.

I have faith.

• Like 4

I still think Tonev could come good; he obviously has a bit of natural ability and with the right combination of hard work and luck he could become a very good player for us IMO. He's one of our only players that can beat his man and has a decent enough cross on him when played out wide. I think he has really struggled with communication on the pitch, it's one thing learning a language to speak but it would be another altogether trying to communicate with people barking orders at you in a high-stress environment like during a PL game. I remember in the Cardiff game someone went to take a throw in, and there was quite a bit of dialogue between the player taking the throw and Tonev, and Tonev didn't seem to really understand what was being said to him as he first ran away and then came back to receive the throw. Give the lad time and try not to scapegoat him. You can already hear the groans whenever he gets the ball at Villa Park which is not going to help him one bit. 

You could also say he's been unlucky to score because he's hit a few powerful shots on target that you can see the goal keeper taken back by. If one of them flies into the net I reckon he'd start playing with a bit of confidence and stop trying so hard.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â