How do you have your steak?

StefanAVFC

Fiction but a book by Robin Cook, not the politician. It was about a girl that ate a undercooked burger...Just put me off rare steak

Burgers and steak are completely different though.  An undercooked burger's dangerous because the mince that's been exposed to the air can harbour bacteria.  A steak is one whole slab of meat, thus only the outside of it is exposed and needs to be cooked.  There's nothing about burger horror stories that should be putting you off steak.

Exactly.  An undercooked burger made from bought mince can be dangerous, because it will have been minced ages ago, giving bacteria plenty of time to settle on all the cut surfaces and grow.  If there was any contamination on the surface of the meat, that contamination will have been thoroughly mixed in throughout the whole pack of mince, to grow and develop.   If it's been minced in conditions which are less than spotless, then other things from the slaughtered animal can get mixed in as well, like shite for example.  This is especially a problem when cheaper mince is involved, because they use parts of the animal they could never sell otherwise, some of which may carry contamination from shite discharged during slaughter.

If you buy your own meat and mince it yourself, you can have rare burgers without this level of risk, because you know what you're putting in, and if you want to be doubly sure you could wash or sear the outside of the meat before mincing it.

Never buy mince...or burgers...

Yes I don't agree with your last line though. You can buy mince and burgers as long as you get good quality and cook it well.  I always buy extra lean mince from tescos.

tesco mince is not good quality mince 

there can be the guts of 8 different cows in a 500g pack and its not "prime" meat its the off cuts and trimmings   the outside as peter says that has the bacteria ...get a butcher to mince some meat infront of you for the ultimate and have a "medium" burger they are very nice

• Like 1

Yes I don't agree with your last line though. You can buy mince and burgers as long as you get good quality and cook it well.  I always buy extra lean mince from tescos.

Last time I bought mince in Tesco's I found a maggot in it. Never bought meat there since, must be going on a decade if not longer now

I like mine still mooing at me

Bloodier the better

I don't think this counts as steak technically, but it reminded me that ever since I was very young, I've been desperate to try

tumblr_mb7h9ozc0U1rsfae9o1_400.png

Pie factory in Tipton does them

• Like 1

The thing to remember with any product from Tesco / Asda is that they have royally **** over their supply chain.

Tesco will happily agree a price for a product via a Dutch auction. Then, mid contract, tell the winner that has already supplied to the contract that they've had another look at the figures and there has been an adjustment. So you won't be getting paid what was previously contracted. You can of course, test this legally and you will win. But you won't be selling much next year or the year after will you.

Suppliers know this, they know they have to work to zero margin for what is often a lower than cost price for a big bad bully of a Client that doesn't give a flying fig for its supply chain. When you see 'finest' or 'value' or any other description on a Tesco product, bear in mind what they have done to the supplier and ask yourself if you would trust the field to shelf process where ever penny is nastily and greedily fought over.

Fiction but a book by Robin Cook, not the politician. It was about a girl that ate a undercooked burger...Just put me off rare steak

Burgers and steak are completely different though.  An undercooked burger's dangerous because the mince that's been exposed to the air can harbour bacteria.  A steak is one whole slab of meat, thus only the outside of it is exposed and needs to be cooked.  There's nothing about burger horror stories that should be putting you off steak.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

Had an amazing steak at San Carlo's in Brizzle last week.

Was a Fillet steak cooked rare topped with a Dolcelatte sauce. Beautiful.

Quick dose of trivia: Sirloin takes it's name from being Henry VIII's favourite cut of steak; hence Sir-Loin.

Must leave this thread. Am nursing a particularly demanding hang over and all this food talk is making me want to eat my own hand.

If you did, would you have it rare? Medium rare? Well done or other? :)

Must leave this thread. Am nursing a particularly demanding hang over and all this food talk is making me want to eat my own hand.

If you did, would you have it rare? Medium rare? Well done or other? :)

Think I'd have to stew it, like you'd do with an ox-tail. Seems like the only sensible option.

• Like 1

My father cooks fillet steak quite often and has his medium/well. I tell him if he's going to be overcooking it like that, he should just buy a stirloin or worse. He's wasting it.

I have my steak bleu in France, but medium rare at home. Also never a steak knife. Steak knives are for leather

• Like 1

Â