How do you have your steak?

StefanAVFC

:rolleyes: Well I guess I am a pescetarian then. Which is fine with me, puts me in the same group as David Duchovny, Howard Stern and CM Punk  B)

Also, I know it wasnt meant in a patronising or aggressive manner (well I hope not anyway) but I dont know why some peoples posts always have this smug 'im better than you' tone applied to them? Suppose its how ive chosen to read it I guess.

• Like 2

And I think the combination of steak with chips isn't particularly good. The meat juices make the chips soggy.

Have the chips in a bowl, on the side.  Then you can dip them briefly in bearnaise sauce and meat juices if you want, without them being completely soggy from sitting in liquid.

Charred on the outside, bleeding raw in the middle. 

French bread, Normandy butter, bottle of claret. 

Brie de Meaux to follow. 

Yum. 

And the Francophobes can do one. 

I hate steak.

Whenever we used to have steak at home it was always frying steak fried to the point you could make serviceable shoes out of it, the meal consisted of chewing till you had jaw muscles like Arnie's biceps and the veg had rotted, and it always tasted shit too.

Ever since it's a meal I really don't look forward to, despite all the years that have past and a brief renaissance it had when we did a weekly steak night at uni. I don't think I'll ever enjoy it.

So I like my steak a long way from my plate, and preferably still in a butchers.

I have it MPW-style, marinated for about 15 minutes per side in a mixture of olive oil and a beef stock cube.

The cut will invariably will be rib eye - but it could be sirloin, rump or t-bone - and it will be properly aged, no red or pink shit. Then I'll fry it to medium rare and deglaze the pan with a little bit of hot water to get all the crusty bits off the pan to pour over the steak. I only make a little bit of that because I am no fan of sauces over steak. On the side, fine, just not smothering it.

I'll serve it up with par-boiled saute potato cubes and either appropriate vegetables or salad. Another regular accompaniment is caramelised onion and button mushrooms done in the same pan. Onions first then toss the mushrooms in for the last five minutes or so. You can also put a bit of any excess steak marinade in there as well. Not too much, though, or it will be too greasy.

Fillet steak I'm not that keen on. I think it is overpriced and less flavoursome than the cuts mentioned above. I'm more inclined to eat it now I use the marinade method, if it's massively reduced at the supermarket. I'd never pay full price for it.

@ Chindie. Yes, the abomination that is the stuff labelled "frying steak". When I see it for sale, thinnish slices of pink nastiness I find myself experiencing a slight internal shudder of revulsion. I suspect frying is the last way you should choose to cook it. The low quality and toughness of it may lend it better to some form of slow braising.  

• Like 2

I go for medium.  Always used to go for well done until someone pointed out the error of my ways.  Had a medium, never went back.

I like mine still mooing at me

Bloodier the better

Fiction but a book by Robin Cook

After reading a book called Toxin I always do my steak very well done. You cant take chances with e-coli!

Really? If e.coli is present it will only be on the outside of steaks and those parts are in contact with the pan killing any infection. If you aren't sure, carefully rinse the steak and pat dry before cooking.

If this was a problem, restaurants wouldn't be allowed to serve tartare at all.

Fiction but a book by Robin Cook, not the politician. It was about a girl that ate a undercooked burger...Just put me off rare steak

A mate once asked for medium well. Is that even a real steak cooking setting or had she drunk to much wine?

Medium to well done, i.e. just a bit of pink. My guess is you prefer yours 'on eye'.

I bought "frying steak" once. I fancied steak but I'd just moved into my house so I was skinter than leemond the day before pay day.

So I bought frying steak as a compromise.

Threw it away after two mouthfuls. **** disgusting.

And I never waste food. Ever. I'd normally eat steak if I'd dropped it on the floor and stood on it by accident.

That's how bad it was.

Fiction but a book by Robin Cook, not the politician. It was about a girl that ate a undercooked burger...Just put me off rare steak

Burgers and steak are completely different though.  An undercooked burger's dangerous because the mince that's been exposed to the air can harbour bacteria.  A steak is one whole slab of meat, thus only the outside of it is exposed and needs to be cooked.  There's nothing about burger horror stories that should be putting you off steak.

Edited by GarethRDR

I like mine still mooing at me

Bloodier the better

I don't think this counts as steak technically, but it reminded me that ever since I was very young, I've been desperate to try

tumblr_mb7h9ozc0U1rsfae9o1_400.png

Bloody hell, only now looking at the picture do I realise how much James Milner looks like Desperate Dan.

They've definitely got similar facial 'shapeage'.

3253.jpgdesperate-dan.jpg

• Like 1

Â