I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

I have never 1) stepped foot in an IKEA store and 2) watched any of the Star Wars films.

Can anybody else match that?

1. I've never been to IKEA either

2. I've never seen ET, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Teen Wolf, Top Gun and probably quite a few more 80s films who everyone says I "have to watch" :rolleyes:

3. Oh and I thought The Goonies sucked.

I've seen ET (several times, actually), but none of the others.

I have never 1) stepped foot in an IKEA store and 2) watched any of the Star Wars films.

Can anybody else match that?

1. I've never been to IKEA either

2. I've never seen ET, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Teen Wolf, Top Gun and probably quite a few more 80s films who everyone says I "have to watch" :rolleyes:

3. Oh and I thought The Goonies sucked.

You are dead to me

• Like 1

Up untill about 15 years ago I thought that there was only one IKEA in Sweden, nevermind the world. I thought it was a single furnage store based in the south of Gothenburg. Then I moved to Stockholm and some class mates talked about going to IKEA and I thought that was a long way to go to buy a sofa or a bed. Then they told me and I felt quite rightly rather stupid. Then I moved to Gothenbrug and realised there are even two IKEA here, nevermind the rest of Sweden and the world.

• Like 3

Here's one that I suspect may be very widespread - do you have a psychiatric hospital (oldspeak: lunatic asylum) anywhere near you?

And if you do, did you think when you were young that its (local) name was generic for all such establishments?

When I was a kid, I used to hear adults say things like "I'm going crazy... I'll end up in Rubery!" (For the non Brummies, Rubery is the district where said 'looney bin' was located).

I assumed that every city would have a mental hospital called "Rubery".

People here in Leeds always referred to "Menston" (rather than "High Royds Hospital")

My wife grew up in Exeter, and assumed that they were all called "Digby".

And so on.

(Incidentally, the term "going doolally" comes from the name of the British Army mental hospital in India - Deolali). 

Edited by mjmooney

Here's one that I suspect may be very widespread - do you have a psychiatric hospital (oldspeak: lunatic asylum) anywhere near you?

And if you do, did you think when you were young that its (local) name was generic for all such establishments?

When I was a kid, I used to hear adults say things like "I'm going crazy... I'll end up in Rubery!" (For the non Brummies, Rubery is the district where said 'looney bin' was located).

People here in Leeds always referred to "Menston" (rather than "High Royds Hospital")

And so on.

(Incidentally, the term "going doolally" comes from the name of the British Army mental hospital in India - Deolali).

We were going to Lomans (featured in this 'World's Creepiest Insane Asylum' video :)).

And so on.

It was "Highcroft" over the north side of the city

Beautiful building... now flats. not sure I could live in a former asylum

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25972260.html

This thread has gone on a steady decline.

Should've been locked and saved for posterity.

I said that ages ago. Everyone else said no shut you idiot, or something like that anyway

SuperStock_4186-11436.jpg

This thread has gone on a steady decline.

Should've been locked and saved for posterity.

Or have we run out of members of this forum who are into bestiality and/or incest?

Unless there is anything you'd like to confess, CED?