I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

I don't know what they're called, but there's probably a technical name - those metal ring things that come from the inside of the cover that goes on a cars wheel? You know them? Yeah. Sometimes you see them at the side of the road and stuff.

One day I was walking home with some chums from school. There was one of those ring things on the pavement. They're perfect for kicking, did you know that? They really are. They're kind of springy, and really ping of the end of yer foot.

So naturally I kicked it, 'full pelt', as we used to say back in the day. It flew across the pavement in front of us at incredible speed, and hit a concrete bollard in the middle of the path. You know the kind that is there for no good reason? Exactly one of those.

It hit it - not head on, more of a deflection, like a ball clipping off the post in football. It zoomed off to the right, but still travelling forward with some speed.

Me and my friends looked on in horror as the spinning unnamed metallic demon seemed to perfectly track the position of a lady further up the path, like a heat seeking missile. The inevitable, yet still massively unlikely, happened. It almost seemed to wrap itself around her feet, and tripped her right up. Proper fell over, like.

That's not my confession - it was an accident, I couldn't have done that again if I tried a hundred more times. My confession is that I absolutely wet myself laughing. Even as she picked herself up off the floor looking utterly horrified and downright abused, I couldn't contain my glee. Didn't apologise or oat.

:(

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

I don't know what they're called, but there's probably a technical name - those metal ring things that come from the inside of the cover that goes on a cars wheel? You know them? Yeah. Sometimes you see them at the side of the road and stuff.

unnamed metallic demon

A wheel trim? Ideal for flinging frisby style too, I'd have thought.

unnamed metallic demon

A wheel trim? Ideal for flinging frisby style too, I'd have thought.

I think he is referring to the metal ring that runs around the inside of the wheel trim.

One day I was walking home with some chums from school. There was one of those ring things on the pavement. They're perfect for kicking, did you know that? They really are. They're kind of springy, and really ping of the end of yer foot.

So naturally I kicked it, 'full pelt', as we used to say back in the day. It flew across the pavement in front of us at incredible speed, and hit a concrete bollard in the middle of the path. You know the kind that is there for no good reason? Exactly one of those.

It hit it - not head on, more of a deflection, like a ball clipping off the post in football. It zoomed off to the right, but still travelling forward with some speed.

Me and my friends looked on in horror as the spinning unnamed metallic demon seemed to perfectly track the position of a lady further up the path, like a heat seeking missile. The inevitable, yet still massively unlikely, happened. It almost seemed to wrap itself around her feet, and tripped her right up. Proper fell over, like.

That's not my confession - it was an accident, I couldn't have done that again if I tried a hundred more times. My confession is that I absolutely wet myself laughing. Even as she picked herself up off the floor looking utterly horrified and downright abused, I couldn't contain my glee. Didn't apologise or oat.

Those things are **** lethal to runners.

Even flat on the ground, they're practically invisible, but as you put your foot on them they tend to flip up and wrap round your ankles. Instant crash.

It's happened to me and several of my running mates.

If I ever see one on the pavement I always move it to a safe place.

I'm so hungry that I just opened a carrier bag I'm using as a bin under my desk, fished out the styrofoam kebab box from last Friday and ate the rest of the pitta with dried chilli sauce that I didn't finish.  

I'm not proud of myself.

I'm proud of you.
  • Like 1

Joggers, runners and cyclists have no business being anywhere near the road anyway.

Do you include the pavement (USA: sidewalk) for runners? That's where the wheel rings usually end up.

Hmm, a good question. I would say use the pavement at your own risk but runners and joggers should really take it to a designated field. Also I believe that if a cyclist is cycling in the road next to a cycle path, they are fair game to be run over without the law getting involved.

• Like 1

Hmm, a good question. I would say use the pavement at your own risk but runners and joggers should really take it to a designated field. Also I believe that if a cyclist is cycling in the road next to a cycle path, they are fair game to be run over without the law getting involved.

I have liked this not for the general tone (y) of the answer, but for the phrase: joggers should really take it to a designated field.

I f(self edit)n loves that.

Edited by chrisp65

...cyclists have no business being anywhere near the road anyway.

They have no business on pavements, that's for sure.

So in Birmingham where there are next to no cycle lanes where or what am I to do? I risk death by maniacal/impatient drivers and if I go on the pavement I risk the abuse and ire of the pedestrians. 

As it is I alternate between the two. 

• Like 1

...cyclists have no business being anywhere near the road anyway.

They have no business on pavements, that's for sure.

So in Birmingham where there are next to no cycle lanes where or what am I to do? I risk death by maniacal/impatient drivers and if I go on the pavement I risk the abuse and ire of the pedestrians. 

As it is I alternate between the two. 

2 Options:

1) Quit cycling

2) Move to the country (or a city with cycle lanes).

• Like 1