Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I'm more than happy with what we have - I don't think we need anyone else.

Another squad player who's happy to wait for his opportunity to play the number 10 role perhaps, but no superstars, certainly.

Another squad player who's happy to wait for his opportunity to play the number 10 role perhaps, but no superstars, certainly.

I think another midfielder could be vital, while we have serious competition at centre back, I can't help but think our midfield are going to be burnt out over Christmas, KAE has really stepped up and is like a new signing himself, add in forgotten man Sylla, and I think we just need another player who could maybe do the Delph role just to keep lads fresh. 

• Like 1

I think another midfielder could be vital, while we have serious competition at centre back, I can't help but think our midfield are going to be burnt out over Christmas, KAE has really stepped up and is like a new signing himself, add in forgotten man Sylla, and I think we just need another player who could maybe do the Delph role just to keep lads fresh. 

I agree.

What we need would be an energetic central midfielder, who's prepared to assume a squad role for the time being. In an ideal world, said player would be able to cover a number of positions.

You get where I'm going with this, right?

I agree.

What we need would be an energetic central midfielder, who's prepared to assume a squad role for the time being. In an ideal world, said player would be able to cover a number of positions.

Bacuna?

I agree.

Bacuna?

tumblr_m61wzbwJpC1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Still need someone to break down tight defences in my eyes..

and me, said it in the front 3 thread, our biggest test will be vs the likes of palace and hull when they come to VP to defend and hit us on the counter, counter attacking football will only work away vs decent teams, it was one of MONs biggest flaws

but I don't know if we need to sign someone or lambert plans on putting helenius / tonev / bacuna in the no 10 role

also agree with those saying we have to be careful not to burn out, hopefully gardner will step up though

Yep another for attacking or creative midfielder recruitment please

I'd also like additional defensive cover but I guess that depends upon Given and or Ireland finally doing one

I agree.

I'm with you, sadly I don't think it'll happen.

Alfred Finnbogason to cover Att Mid and Striker

And

Cheikou Kouyate to cover Central Def and Def Mid!!

Cost about 10million (5million a piece)

Would make it one awesome transfer window!!

From the clips .. I see Finnbogason as a striker not more than that .. Someone like Bent ..

Well .. It's only youtube clips after all ..

Kouyate might be a good shout though ..

Imagine ..

Okore .. Kouyate .. Sylla .. Benteke !!!

Add to them Vlaar and Baker .. And maybe Helenius because he's tall !

Team of Beasts ! lol !

I'd be surprised if we sign anyone else this summer.

Lambert has had a net transfer fund of £26mill since he joined.

For a club of our size (financially), with a turnover of £80m, i'd expect a net transfer fund of £8m a year, so £16m since Lambert joined.

Why do think it should be so small?

For a club that is trying to break even, you would expect around 66% of turnover to be spent on wages, 10% on transfer fees, 24% on overheads.

As we have a turnover of £80m, that is £53m on wages, £8m on transfer fees.

Maybe we can have slightly more (which we already have had) if overheads are lower, but in our case the wages are higher anyway.

so maybe we're going for 66% wages, 20% transfer fees, 14% overheads. 

in which case Lambert should have £32m, of which he has spent £26m. So he has £6m left, which includes his January 2014 spend.

The £80m figure for turnover was based on the accounts for the year to May 2012.  This period will clearly see a dip in our turnover (which was £92m in the previous year).  It will be more now, as attendances are rising, merchandising sales will be improving, and the income from TV money has increased.

Furthermore, although we're pushing to break even, the club is clearly heading towards financial stability compared to the last few years - and Lambert has proven he has a good eye for a player - so I think that Randy wouldn't mind freeing up a little more cash for the right addition(s) to the squad.  Considering most of our players should now have decent resale values, this is also less of a risk than it would have been.

Also, particularly as we're buying such young players and have almost completely overhauled the squad, an increased spend on transfer fees this season doesn't at all mean that this is a trend that will continue.  Lambert needs to add a couple more faces to make it truly 'his' squad, so this transfer window (as with the others during his tenure so far) we may see more expenditure than we will in the future, unless currently important players leave.

A player that can play both AM & RW is on top of my wishlist. AM when playing against beatable sides, competition with Weimann for RW when we need to play 3 tight CM's against better sides (like yesterday).

Also agree that a DM that could drop down to CB would be ace, but don't believe that we will see one another coming in. 

Yep another for attacking or creative midfielder recruitment please

I'd also like additional defensive cover but I guess that depends upon Given and or Ireland finally doing one

I really like Gardner and hope he steps up too Richard! He hasn't made the bench in the first two games though has he? Hopefully he starts in next weeks cup game!

If any of our forwards get injured or we are chasing the game it will be great to have the option to play Tonev or Helenius - it feels like we would be changing roles wgoing fwd between them and the current front four.

or if we need steal or fresh legs then Bacuna or Sylla

Those are the four I see being rotated most in the squad.

I still think that ultimately our season will be dictated to how we fair with injuries, but i think we have a better squad than last season.