Sunderland

Richard

Sunderland board just seem to be going for the 'honeymoon effect' all the time.

Di Canio was always a short term solution to turn results around from O'Neill, and now they've rushed through a managerial appointment just to try have that effect for the Newcastle game. Feel sorry for the caretaker manager, many were tipping him to be offered the job as he's been at the club for years, and performance wise he's got them playing much better.

This probably needs a new title. Poyet named as new Sunderland boss

My prediction (fwiw), he is not what they need and he'll take them down.

Who would you have gone for then?

It's not like there is a whole host of top managers looking to take over a team in last place with 1 point after the summer window has closed.

I think it's a pretty good appointment myself. It was looking like it was going to be McLeish at one point!

It's not like there is a whole host of top managers looking to take over a team in last place with 1 point after the summer window has closed.

I think it's a pretty good appointment myself. It was looking like it was going to be McLeish at one point!

I would not have gone for someone without any experince of managing in the PL or someone who on the face of it shares a number of personality traits with the recently fired disaster.

Off the top of my head I'd have appointed any of the following ahead of Poyet who I think is another risky appointment.

Roberto Di Matteo

Steve Mclaren

Tony Pulis

There are probably a number of other managers around europe with experience of either managing at the top level or with a reputation of keeping sides up. I think even Kevin Ball would represent a better choice as the players seem to want to play for him (very much like RDM at Chelsea) which might be a solution at least until the turn of the year to review things.

Can't stand Poyet hope they go down with him there. Lost all respect after hearing an interview he did trying to stick up for Suarez over the Evra incident. Claiming he wasn't racist (even though said he was just that he used a racist term), that we should adapt to Uruguay's, and others, culture and appreciat the term is acceptable over there (no dickhead Suarez and yourself should adapt to our standards), and that what goes on the pitch should stay there; including physical attackes, and that players should not go off crying to authorities; he pretty much said a palyer shouldn't complain even if punched from behind as it's a physical game.

There's a reason Brighton got rid; and I don't think he'll have enough about him to save Snderland.

Think he's a good appointment but he will need time and unfortunately this is a results business. I cannot see them getting anything at Swansea, and possibly Newcastle a point may come their way. But it's a tough ask for Poyet to turn around the fortunes, he will need a good start IMO.

I would not have gone for someone without any experince of managing in the PL or someone who on the face of it shares a number of personality traits with the recently fired disaster.

Off the top of my head I'd have appointed any of the following ahead of Poyet who I think is another risky appointment.

Roberto Di Matteo

Steve Mclaren

Tony Pulis

There are probably a number of other managers around europe with experience of either managing at the top level or with a reputation of keeping sides up. I think even Kevin Ball would represent a better choice as the players seem to want to play for him (very much like RDM at Chelsea) which might be a solution at least until the turn of the year to review things.

De Matteo is not a bad option though he struggled with West Brom in the Prem.

As for Pulis or McLaren, I doubt you or many others would have welcomed either of those here. I doubt Sunderland fans would have wanted them either.

As for Pulis ... I doubt you or many others would have welcomed either of those here. I doubt Sunderland fans would have wanted them either.

In the situation Sunderland currently find themselves. With 1 point and rock bottom, I think Pulis wouldn't have been a bad shout. Their only target should be survival and he'd at least have made them hard to beat.
  • Like 1

Â