Sunderland

Richard

i think they should go for curbishly

All joking aside, it really is about time he got another bite of the cherry. He did a top job at Charlton Athletic and is a safe pair of hands, especially for a club like Sunderland who probably crave some stability right now.

All joking aside, it really is about time he got another bite of the cherry. He did a top job at Charlton Athletic and is a safe pair of hands, especially for a club like Sunderland who probably crave some stability right now.

Sometimes managers seem to be tarnished by their departures from clubs, especially if they have been in conflict with the owner/board.

David O'Leary was never given another chance after leaving Villa after his little stunt against Ellis, it is hard to know why but it is reasonable to think no chairman fancied having a manager who would do what he did.

Curb's was in conflict with the West Ham board before his departure, claiming players were sold from under him and eventually resigned before winning a court case. He has now been out of the game 5 years and I can't help but wonder if he has been tarred with a similar brush. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Having been out of the game 5 years though it would be a real surprise if he were handed the keys to a PL club now especially one in the mess they are in. I think he would need to drop down to the Championship but that has always appeared to be something he wasn't prepared to do.

The first 2 years after curbishley left west ham he spent fighting them in the courts and I believe he didn't take another job in that time because of that, and he has said on more than one occasion that he isn't willing to drop down the leagues to build back into the prem so he can't really expect to be handed a top job (I honestly expect him back at the valley when Darren powel gets the sack)

O'leary ultimately cut his own throat with the rumours that he instigated the player revolt against the club back in 06, despite his constant pit downs of us looking back he did ok for us given the budgets he had, one year our net spend was ,£2.6million on Mathieu berson and Doug moaned like **** over that

As for Paolo, he will get another job in league 1 or 2 id have thought, he still is a box office draw for smaller clubs

Totally. I can only presume he perhaps has a reputation "behind the scenes" for being difficult, or something similar? As you say, great job at Charlton and he was doing well at West Ham too. I'd have taken him at Villa over Houllier or McLeish every time.

"O'leary ultimately cut his own throat with the rumours that he instigated the player revolt against the club back in 06, despite his constant pit downs of us looking back he did ok for us given the budgets he had, one year our net spend was ,£2.6million on Mathieu berson and Doug moaned like **** over that"

I wasnt a big DOL fan but if he did instigate that against dougie he should be applauded as i believe that contributing to him finally having enough and selling the club to lerner

Curb's was in conflict with the West Ham board before his departure, claiming players were sold from under him and eventually resigned before winning a court case. He has now been out of the game 5 years and I can't help but wonder if he has been tarred with a similar brush. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Having been out of the game 5 years though it would be a real surprise if he were handed the keys to a PL club now especially one in the mess they are in. I think he would need to drop down to the Championship but that has always appeared to be something he wasn't prepared to do.

Completely agree FWIW. Both in terms of the manner he left West Ham and that he'd be lucky to go straight back into the Premier League at this stage. I do think it's remarkable that no-one at any level has seen fit to give him a chance to date. Although perhaps he himself said no to offers lower down and still has a certain expectation on job offers that come in for him.

"O'leary ultimately cut his own throat with the rumours that he instigated the player revolt against the club back in 06, despite his constant pit downs of us looking back he did ok for us given the budgets he had, one year our net spend was ,£2.6million on Mathieu berson and Doug moaned like **** over that"

I wasnt a big DOL fan but if he did instigate that against dougie he should be applauded as i believe that contributing to him finally having enough and selling the club to lerner

Thats a very bold statement.

Liking your own statement. What has the world come to? ;)

• Like 3

Disgusting.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 2

Completely agree FWIW. Both in terms of the manner he left West Ham and that he'd be lucky to go straight back into the Premier League at this stage. I do think it's remarkable that no-one at any level has seen fit to give him a chance to date. Although perhaps he himself said no to offers lower down and still has a certain expectation on job offers that come in for him.

Cant be good being out the game for so long though? All the punditry in the world cant compare to the day-to-day life of  a manager/coach, i'm guessing.

Disgusting.

I thought I was 1 'like' away from making it 'popular' so went for it :D

Guilty as charged!

• Like 3

So looks like Poyet is nailed on, good choice I think.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Only 1 job in mangement and won a league 1 title with a well finacially backed Brighton. He might do alright but I think its a risky appointment... and risky is exactly what Sunderland don't need right now.

Â