Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

"and sadly there were no cameras there!" There were cameras there Mike the goals were shown on the local news the following evening. My understanding was that the tape had been recorded over or not kept by Central although I think John Lerwill might have once suggested that there might be some hope of that clip turning up again and how if it did I am sure we would all like to see those goals go in again.

"So we did Liverpool 5-1 in 76 and again in about 79 I think ??". I think not CI. We beat them 3-1 on 16/4/79 with goals from Evans, Thompson (og) & Deehan and then 4-2 on 19/9/92 with goals from Saunders (2), Atkinson & Parker. There is no other 5-1 against them but we did have another 5-1 beating Arsenal by that score on 25/4/79 with goals from Shelton (3) & Deehan (2).

Didnt know that John and dont remember the news next day - I was probably still drunk! 

Real shame there is no televised record!

I still get goosebumps remembering that first half display. An abiding memory was the sheer sense of awe amongst the crowd at the end of the first half!

Spoke to John Deehan about it a while back and he said the team were on a high for weeks afterwards!

A lot of games already mentioned. I'd add:

3-0 vs Leeds - 1996 League Cup Final - Total dominance, name on the trophy, nothing could stop us that day.

3-1 vs sha - Home 2006 Premier League - Perilously close to the drop, not beat them at Villa Park in the Prem era up till then. That overhead kick.

1-2 vs sha - Away 2007 Premier League - Agent Ridgwell. Gabby clearing off the line and 2 mins later popping up at the other end to head in the winner in the 87th min, Going mental.

1-0 (4-3 Pens) vs Inter Milan - 1994 UEFA Cup - Phil King with the winning pen. Villa Park rocking, under the flood lights. 

Another great, Sir Grahams last stand before England

Everton 3-3 Villa

Oh and what a game at WHL after BFR was sacked

Spurs 3-4 villa

LOL - I was there for that game at Spurs... We were 3-0 up after about 15 minutes (Graham Fenton - what ever happened to him?).

Spurs came back through Sheringham and Klinsmann to make it 3-3 going into added time. I was packing my program and other bits into my bag and the Villa fans erupted all round me. As such, I technically missed Deano's winner... Fabulous game.

It was an amazing game for sure. Think Jim Barrow was our caretaker manager on the day and was it not Gerry Francis first game in charge for spurs or his last? Sorry Alzheimer's

Everton 2 - 3 Villa

I was going to say this. Sticks in my memory well. Watched in a pub in Dublin with a few Villa fans and we went absolutely bonkers for the winner after utter dispair a moment earlier. Football eh?

Edited by Kiwivillan

Everton 2 - 3 Villa

I was going to say this. Sticks in my memory well. Watched in a pub in Dublin with a few Villa fans and we went absolutely bonkers for the winner after utter dispair a moment earlier. Football eh?

Yep, Ash's goal still sends shivers down my spine when I watch it

Another great, Sir Grahams last stand before England

Everton 3-3 Villa

Oh and what a game at WHL after BFR was sacked

Spurs 3-4 villa

LOL - I was there for that game at Spurs... We were 3-0 up after about 15 minutes (Graham Fenton - what ever happened to him?).

Spurs came back through Sheringham and Klinsmann to make it 3-3 going into added time. I was packing my program and other bits into my bag and the Villa fans erupted all round me. As such, I technically missed Deano's winner... Fabulous game.

It was an amazing game for sure. Think Jim Barrow was our caretaker manager on the day and was it not Gerry Francis first game in charge for spurs or his last? Sorry Alzheimer's

Yes, HDE had just sacked Big Ron following a horror show result against the Dons down at Selhurst. Later on, there was the first ever National Lottery draw. 

About a year later, I went away with Brian Little's army to Upton Park where we registered a vintage 4-1 win. That was an awesome display... I will always remember Super Tommy Johnson's face when he scored... cheeky chappy... He **** loved it... Almost as much as we did...

• 3 weeks later...

"and sadly there were no cameras there!" There were cameras there Mike the goals were shown on the local news the following evening. My understanding was that the tape had been recorded over or not kept by Central although I think John Lerwill might have once suggested that there might be some hope of that clip turning up again and how if it did I am sure we would all like to see those goals go in again.

"So we did Liverpool 5-1 in 76 and again in about 79 I think ??". I think not CI. We beat them 3-1 on 16/4/79 with goals from Evans, Thompson (og) & Deehan and then 4-2 on 19/9/92 with goals from Saunders (2), Atkinson & Parker. There is no other 5-1 against them but we did have another 5-1 beating Arsenal by that score on 25/4/79 with goals from Shelton (3) & Deehan (2).

Didnt know that John and dont remember the news next day - I was probably still drunk! 

Real shame there is no televised record!

I still get goosebumps remembering that first half display. An abiding memory was the sheer sense of awe amongst the crowd at the end of the first half!

Spoke to John Deehan about it a while back and he said the team were on a high for weeks afterwards!

yes remember the 5-1 against Liverpool. I think that was the half-time score as well. We just ripped them apart. We did the same to Arsenal and a few other teams that season. most exciting Villa team ever. Cropley and Mortimer in midfield, Gidman right back and Little, Gray and Deehan up front.

I think ITV or ATV as it was then just had cameras to cover one game and they normally went to derby at that time.

Edited by PaulC

for relatively recent history, that 5:1 against blues

I'd persuaded my company to do some corporate entertaining, it was on... then it was cancelled

then after cancelling everything the date became available again and we could have done the corporate thing afterall, ah well nevermind

THEN I get a phonecall from Carol at the Villa, last minute they've released another block of tickets, there's food and drink but they are cheap and it's take it or leave it now over the phone. I personally buy 6 tickets at about £50 a go from memory. Happily I manage to get takers for all tickets, we get to the ground and we are DE Upper, bang next to the little barrier next to the blues fans. Pint, carvery, game. It was a little tense.....at first.

By the end, my jaw was actually hurting with laughter and for a day, I'm a bit of a hero for organising THE MOTHER of all trips out.

Home win against Inter back in 94. It was my 30th birthday that night and my then girlfriend had arranged for me to meet the players after the game. Yorkie presented me with a signed match ball.

Second best thing she ever did for me. Best thing was kicking me out a couple of weeks later....

Couple of games that havnt been mentioned are the 3-2 Carbone inspired win against leeds in the FA cup, and Stans first game facing Liverpool after his move when we beat them 2-1 (He had one of those games where i really thought we had the best striker in the world!).

Remember it well. Great game that had everything and a great atmosphere and would be up there with games that  I have attended.

I would also throw in when we beat Milan at VP in 1994 and when we beat Athletico Madrid in 1998 but still went out on away goals. The atmosphere on that Madrid game was unbelievable and when Collymore scored it was the loudest I've probably ever witnessed Villa Park before and since.

It's the Madrid one for me as well. Remember making plans where to meet after the pitch invasion that would have happened if we scored again. One of the best atmospheres I've experienced at any ground ever.

Villa 6-2 everton

Sir graham era

Was that our only televised game that season? How times change.

Yes I enjoyed that game. I think there were only about 17k in the ground. Didn't Platt get a hattrick?

Â