Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

Too many in my 52 years a fan but one that does stand out for atmosphere and everything that goes with it.

We were a lowly div 3 side and we played the mighty Man U with George Best, Bobby Charlton, Alex Stepney, Dennis Law et all and we won 2-1. Cud be the Santos game but I believe there were near on 60k at the game (my old memory might be playing tricks!),

That was one  - the other was v Bournemouth, Notts County in Div 3.

Too many in my 52 years a fan but one that does stand out for atmosphere and everything that goes with it.

We were a lowly div 3 side and we played the mighty Man U with George Best, Bobby Charlton, Alex Stepney, Dennis Law et all and we won 2-1. Cud be the Santos game but I believe there were near on 60k at the game (my old memory might be playing tricks!),

Those 3rd division days were magical Naz. Those Goals by Lochhead & McMahon v Man U were electric. Can still see Ray Graydon diving to head that winner against Notts County too & bloody Ted McDougal putting Bournemouth 1-0 up at Villa Park until Geoff Vowden & Lochhead turned it around in the second half to secure our 2-1 win. Great days, no question.

"and sadly there were no cameras there!" There were cameras there Mike the goals were shown on the local news the following evening. My understanding was that the tape had been recorded over or not kept by Central although I think John Lerwill might have once suggested that there might be some hope of that clip turning up again and how if it did I am sure we would all like to see those goals go in again.

"So we did Liverpool 5-1 in 76 and again in about 79 I think ??". I think not CI. We beat them 3-1 on 16/4/79 with goals from Evans, Thompson (og) & Deehan and then 4-2 on 19/9/92 with goals from Saunders (2), Atkinson & Parker. There is no other 5-1 against them but we did have another 5-1 beating Arsenal by that score on 25/4/79 with goals from Shelton (3) & Deehan (2).

Didnt know that John and dont remember the news next day - I was probably still drunk! 

Real shame there is no televised record!

I still get goosebumps remembering that first half display. An abiding memory was the sheer sense of awe amongst the crowd at the end of the first half!

Spoke to John Deehan about it a while back and he said the team were on a high for weeks afterwards!

yes remember the 5-1 against Liverpool. I think that was the half-time score as well. We just ripped them apart. We did the same to Arsenal and a few other teams that season. most exciting Villa team ever. Cropley and Mortimer in midfield, Gidman right back and Little, Gray and Deehan up front.

I think ITV or ATV as it was then just had cameras to cover one game and they normally went to derby at that time.

That's correct. Derby were playing on the same night and Trevor East who fronted Central's soccer was/is a Derby fan and the cameras went there. There was never any footage of that game.

Those 3rd division days were magical Naz. Those Goals by Lochhead & McMahon v Man U were electric. Can still see Ray Graydon diving to head that winner against Notts County too & bloody Ted McDougal putting Bournemouth 1-0 up at Villa Park until Geoff Vowden & Lochhead turned it around in the second half to secure our 2-1 win. Great days, no question.

True mate - very true - that was when real footballers played not the namby pamby little kick and roll around dead. Fans sttod by the team thru thick and thin. Loved the away days and the terrace banter. Bring back standing and get rid of the 'prawn brigade'

54,000 against Santos with the gates locked and many thousands left outside to see the great Pele. There were crowd restrictions because of power cuts and Villa had hired a generator. 

54,000 against Santos with the gates locked and many thousands left outside to see the great Pele. There were crowd restrictions because of power cuts and Villa had hired a generator. 

I jumped the mighty queue to get into the Witton End that night & got a first hand view of Ray Graydon's Penalty to put us 2 - 0 ahead & watched in awe as a Santos player whose name escapes me scored a fabulous banana free kick. .

The highlight for me though was watching my favourite Villa player of all time Pat McMahon, head us in front in the first half.

Great memories.

I jumped the mighty queue to get into the Witton End that night & got a first hand view of Ray Graydon's Penalty to put us 2 - 0 ahead & watched in awe as a Santos player whose name escapes me scored a fabulous banana free kick. .

The highlight for me though was watching my favourite Villa player of all time Pat McMahon, head us in front in the first half.

Great memories.

I got in the Witton end myself but i was too small to see anything apart from bits of Lionel Martin on the ball.

Looking back at the back four we had against the sty 5 - 1

Bouma Laursen Knight Mellberg

With the exception of Knight wow

What i would give for a back four like that now

Edited by AshVilla

Â