Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

The most complete performance was the Lpool 5-1.

The most incredible atmosphere was the Manure LCSF second leg, my ears were still ringing the next morning

The greatest achievement Rotterdam- obviously

Special mention

Bournemouth  3rd division 

QPR SF replay at Highbury Brian Little walked on water

SHA away we won 3-2 phew

For me it was this.

1. Deano's first home game

2. Scores 2

3. Beat Liverpool

4. I was in the Holte suffering the despair of Ronnie Rosenthal scoring, followed by the elation of him putting it against the crossbar.

I remember that game well.  I was in the holte end that game and can recall the point where he went through and the amazement when he hit the crossbar. 

Rotterdam 82 is obviously a win that would be hard to better. But the 2-1 win against Manchester United in the League Cup SF in season 70-71, Bournemouth 2-1 (h) Division 3 (71-72), QPR 3-0 LCSF Replay 76-77, Everton 3-2 LCF Replay 76-77, Small Heath (h) 3-0 Division 1 (80-81), Everton (a) 3-1 Division 1 (80-81) and the Manchester United 3-1 LCF 94 after that Tranmere win were better games for me up to 94 although that SF win was a super night as well.

and the 5 - 1 against Liverpool

"and sadly there were no cameras there!" There were cameras there Mike the goals were shown on the local news the following evening. My understanding was that the tape had been recorded over or not kept by Central although I think John Lerwill might have once suggested that there might be some hope of that clip turning up again and how if it did I am sure we would all like to see those goals go in again.

"So we did Liverpool 5-1 in 76 and again in about 79 I think ??". I think not CI. We beat them 3-1 on 16/4/79 with goals from Evans, Thompson (og) & Deehan and then 4-2 on 19/9/92 with goals from Saunders (2), Atkinson & Parker. There is no other 5-1 against them but we did have another 5-1 beating Arsenal by that score on 25/4/79 with goals from Shelton (3) & Deehan (2).

Not quite sure what the criteria are and most of Villa's great games have been mentioned already but I don't think anyone has picked out Everton 2 Villa 3 yet, from 2008/9.

That was one of the most amazing in terms of hopes raised, dashed, raised, dashed again and rescued at the last breath. Fantastic feeling when the final whistle went.

Edited by briny_ear

I really enjoyed the 2-1 over Ajax in the Uefa Cup a few years ago. Laursen and Barry the scorers.

great atmosphere at that game and i think a lot of Villa fans were hoping this was start of a good future and then we through the competition away :(

The greatest ever Villa game I have been fortunate to be present at was away at Highbury in 1981 even though we lost 2-0.

The feeling going back up the motorway with thousands of Villa scarves hanging out of cars and coaches decked with banners was a sight to behold only surpassed by walking into my parents house upon arrival back home and shouting 'Champions' at the top of my voice with my Bluenose father listening and watching!

The League title is, without doubt, the hardest and biggest thing won by AVFC since before WW1 and I include the European Cup win in that declaration!

Some great games already mentioned & its impossible to top some of those games.

A quick taxation of the memory banks bought another 3 to mind:

1. Sheffield Wednesday away (Ron Atkinsons 1st game in charge)

2. Arsenal at home (0-2 down,won 3-2,the Father Christmas accident)

3. Arsenal at home F.A Cup 1973 (won 2-0,Sammy Morgan V Bob Wilson)

Be nice to have stored all these memories in a bottle & lived them again this season

Edited by Butterfingers

The last day of the Holte end was a great and emotional game. Still got my certificate.

Villa 2-1 Liverpool , yorkie with 2

That was my favourite! Everyone was ripping pieces of the Holte End out.  I've still got a plaque I ripped from the wall in the corridors. And we can back with 2 second half goals to beat Liverpool.  Aston station was awash with fans carrying all sorts of debris with them. Marvellous 

• Like 1

Best game I've ever been to at Villa Park was the 3-2 win over Leeds in the FA Cup. Carbone and Merson were superb that day.

Others that stick in the memory:

Villa 4-2 QPR (Early 90's, Yorke scored an over-head kick)

Villa 2-1 Atletico Madrid (They beat us at their place and ultimately won on the night on away goals, but when Collymore smashed the second in, I thought the roof was going to come off the Holte. If I remember rightly, Hendrie nearly won it for us but hit the post. They had a great team with Kiko, Vieri, Caminero, Vizcaino etc...)

Villa 2-0 Bolton (League Cup Semi, they had done us 5-2 at the Reebok and we very nearly turned it round' despite McCann getting sent off. Great atmosphere that night)

Villa 3-2 Arsenal (2-0 down at HT, parachutist smashed into the Trinity and delayed game for about 45mins, then Dublin ran them ragged and we came back to win)

Been a fair few others but these are the one's that stick out.

Another great, Sir Grahams last stand before England

Everton 3-3 Villa

Oh and what a game at WHL after BFR was sacked

Spurs 3-4 villa

LOL - I was there for that game at Spurs... We were 3-0 up after about 15 minutes (Graham Fenton - what ever happened to him?).

Spurs came back through Sheringham and Klinsmann to make it 3-3 going into added time. I was packing my program and other bits into my bag and the Villa fans erupted all round me. As such, I technically missed Deano's winner... Fabulous game.

Â