Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

Will always be Villa vs Tranmere in 94

The atmosphere was amazing, when Atkinson scored the Villa fans went mental

In the Holte when it was standing and everyone was going wild. I ended up about 30 feet from where I'd been standing, just carried there by the surge.

Fantastic!

• Like 1

Will always be Villa vs Tranmere in 94

The atmosphere was amazing, when Atkinson scored the Villa fans went mental

In the Holte when it was standing and everyone was going wild. I ended up about 30 feet from where I'd been standing, just carried there by the surge.

Fantastic!

This for me too.

Great thread :)

Loved the Ajax game .... Drove back to South Wales smiling all night .

Does anyone remember playing Newcastle in the 90s at St James' park? Little under a bit of pressure, we were on a terrible run, yorke scored a hat trick. Draper was sent off, we lost the game 4-3, I was about 9 and for the first time I realised sometimes you can lose and be proud of your team!

• Like 1

This game because of the previous years of hurt.

Watching that now... boy I am depressed. You know if we played them now they would beat us.

:(

At Villa Park yes.  We'd beat them 1-0 at the sty with 3% possession.

• Like 2

This game because of the previous years of hurt.

Watching that now... boy I am depressed. You know if we played them now they would beat us.

:(

At Villa Park yes.  We'd beat them 1-0 at the sty with 3% possession.

haha, true. :)

I've seen a few classics over the years but Tranmere edges it, the nerves were shredded that day.

Beating Man Ure at Wembley '94...5-1 against Scousepool in '76...any win against the knuckledraggers...beating Olbiyun first game of the season 4-3 thanks to a Brendan Ormsby header...the Barcelona comeback 2-2 in '78...sending the Vermin Felchers down when JPA got his first Villa goal...some great memories

Edited by rjw63

Rotterdam 82 is obviously a win that would be hard to better. But the 2-1 win against Manchester United in the League Cup SF in season 70-71, Bournemouth 2-1 (h) Division 3 (71-72), QPR 3-0 LCSF Replay 76-77, Everton 3-2 LCF Replay 76-77, Small Heath (h) 3-0 Division 1 (80-81), Everton (a) 3-1 Division 1 (80-81) and the Manchester United 3-1 LCF 94 after that Tranmere win were better games for me up to 94 although that SF win was a super night as well.

The 2-1 semi win was extra special because we were a third division side up against Best, Law and Charlton in front of 60,000 fans. 

The 2 that stand out for me are the 6-4 Blackburn game and the 2-1 Ajax game. The Ajax game was so exicting and we all thought that this was the start of something, that Villa were back in the big time. I dont think I have had such a surge of exictement at a game  when Laursen headed in the first goal since. The Ajax fans were bonkers as well. Sadly as usual for Villa it wasnt the start of something, it was the end of something.

The Blackburn game was a epic as well- I was too young for the Tranmere game. From going from the emotions of 'thats it with have blown it' to getting to the final was nearly heart attack inducing. I mean even Heskey scored! Again it just felt that all those years of shit under Ellis- O'Leary, penny pinching, failure to make the final step, was all going to be washed away. But then we lost to Manyew and we had 3 years of decline since. So 2 great games but slighty bitter sweet memories. But isn't that t just football?

I just said the 6-4 was my favorite game and I was going to mention that Ajax game as well... all before reading your post.

Very special evenings. The Ajax game even more so because I got to meet all the players and Lerner after the match and get all their signatures. Good times. Feels like a life time ago now.

Â