Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

i think i went nuts most for youngs goal aginst everton

(3-2)

what a moment#epic

That ranks highly on my list.

Not the most important game or anything like that.

But in terms of excitement and pure ecstasy when we won it, I don't think that's been bettered.

I must have watched that Young goal about 100 times since.

How about Notts County away (3-0 division 3) Only the odd 20,000 Villa fans there?

Thank you sir for reminding me of that great day.  I can remember standing on the half way line and the stand we were in and the stand opposite was full of Villa fans.  It was an amazing site.  Other great games that year included 48,000 against Bournemouth at home and Reading away (I think the score was 5-3, although the memory fades).

"Reading away (I think the score was 5-3, although the memory fades)". Not so, Fazilla 5-3 it was with goals from Lochhead, Tiler, McMahon, Anderson and an own goal from Butler. How about that 6-0 win at Oldham in the promotion season the following season Lochhead (3), Anderson and Bruce Rioch (2)? But that game against Bournemouth was the one for me back then 48,110 fans in Division 3, with us coming from a goal down on MOTD and with the sound of "Villa, Villa" ringing from every area of the ground loud and clear for all to hear.

Edited by John

The 2 that stand out for me are the 6-4 Blackburn game and the 2-1 Ajax game. The Ajax game was so exicting and we all thought that this was the start of something, that Villa were back in the big time. I dont think I have had such a surge of exictement at a game  when Laursen headed in the first goal since. The Ajax fans were bonkers as well. Sadly as usual for Villa it wasnt the start of something, it was the end of something.

The Blackburn game was a epic as well- I was too young for the Tranmere game. From going from the emotions of 'thats it with have blown it' to getting to the final was nearly heart attack inducing. I mean even Heskey scored! Again it just felt that all those years of shit under Ellis- O'Leary, penny pinching, failure to make the final step, was all going to be washed away. But then we lost to Manyew and we had 3 years of decline since. So 2 great games but slighty bitter sweet memories. But isn't that t just football?

"Reading away (I think the score was 5-3, although the memory fades)". Not so, Fazilla 5-3 it was with goals from Lochhead, Tiler, McMahon, Anderson and an own goal from Butler. How about that 6-0 win at Oldham in the promotion season the following season Lochhead (3), Anderson and Bruce Rioch (2)? But that game against Bournemouth was the one for me back then 48,110 fans in Division 3, with us coming from a goal down on MOTD and with the sound of "Villa, Villa" ringing from every area of the ground loud and clear for all to hear.

aye ted macdougall, then I guess you need to add the league cup semi-final win against a united team including, Best Law and Charlton. Wasn't there over 60,000 in the ground?

How about Notts County away (3-0 division 3) Only the odd 20,000 Villa fans there?

Thank you sir for reminding me of that great day.  I can remember standing on the half way line and the stand we were in and the stand opposite was full of Villa fans.  It was an amazing site.  Other great games that year included 48,000 against Bournemouth at home and Reading away (I think the score was 5-3, although the memory fades).

yes 35000 in the ground at Meadow Lane. Funny at Villa they played us off the park even though we won 1-0 with Don Masson running the show!

• 2 weeks later...

Think I was in the same stand as you-The one on the other side was the biggest & packed with Villa fans.The Reading 5-3 was the season before-Unelievable times to be a Villa fan.Who would have thought that day at Notts County that in exactly 10 years from then we would be Champions of England & planning trips to watch the European Cup final?What a great 10 years they were.

Think I was in the same stand as you-The one on the other side was the biggest & packed with Villa fans.The Reading 5-3 was the season before-Unelievable times to be a Villa fan.Who would have thought that day at Notts County that in exactly 10 years from then we would be Champions of England & planning trips to watch the European Cup final?What a great 10 years they were.

So true and we were so lucky to witness those great times!

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 in 1977. I think Liverpool were Champions and European Cup winners

that season, but they couldn't live with Gray, Little, & Deehan that night.

Seem to remember us doing Arsenal 5 - 1, and the Baggies 4 - 0 in that season also.

I was 11 and sitting in the Witton Lane stand for all of them - Great memory.

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 in 1977. I think Liverpool were Champions and European Cup winners

that season, but they couldn't live with Gray, Little, & Deehan that night.

Seem to remember us doing Arsenal 5 - 1, and the Baggies 4 - 0 in that season also.

I was 11 and sitting in the Witton Lane stand for all of them - Great memory.

Yes 5-2 Ipswich as well with an Andy Gray hatrick. That was the most exiting Villa team ever. Shame the Blues did the double over us I think. I know they won 2-1 at Villa. I think they won 2-1 at St. Andrews as well. We had a player sent off and Andy Gray was playing in defence I think.

Edited by PaulC

Anyone remember a 5-0 televised thrashing of Wimbledon (who were on a 25 or summit undefeated run).

We were outstanding. Think Milosevic and Yorke got 2? Cant remember the other. Maybe Taylor?

Yes but how about the 7-1 win over Wimbledon. A Tommy Johnson hattrick

• 8 months later...

The 6-4 v Blackburn is definately up there for me. The FA Cup Quarter Final at Reading was pretty good as well. 2-0 down and playing awful at HT. Then Ashley Young scored after the restart and John Carew scored a hatrick. All in front of a packed away end to get us to Wembley.

Love the games when you think we're down and out, then come back to win.

Villa 6 Blackburn 4. Astonishing game. I was in the process of converting a then girlfriend into a Villa fan and we were cuddled up watching it. When (Milner?) scored the penalty I pumped my fist in the air and accidentally punched her in the face.

I was the happiest man not having sex in England. It took a while to repair Aston Villa's reputation where she was concerned.

• Like 1

1. Villa's win over Bayern Munich in Rotterdam (not just game but whole experience !)

2. Blues 0 Villa 1 (Andy Gray) - late 70s - first time we'd played them for a while - massive atmosphere !

3. Villa 2 Man Utd 1 - League Cup semi final (1975?) - biggest VP crowd I've ever been in !

i think i went nuts most for youngs goal aginst everton

(3-2)

what a moment#epic

Great shout. I remember them equalising and I threw a right strop and stopped watching and went to do something else. Got a 'wind up' text from my brother saying "great win" or something along those lines so of course I told him to do one. My poor confused brother was saying "why? You won" and I checked the final score.

Still pissed off at myself for missing that goal! It's the age old 'play to the whistle'. I'm just glad they didn't give up when I did!

Â