Greatest ever villa game

smetrov

Obviously there's loads of obvious choices that are probably our greatest ever games.

But one of my fondest memories is that 3-2 vs Everton, where Lescott equalised in the last minute and then we went straight down the other end and won it. Maybe that's not right calling it the greatest ever game, but I'd genuinely say that's one of my greatest ever moments.

I wish I'd been at that game, or at least in the pub. It would have been mental.

• Like 1

We did Arsenal 5-1 after being 0-1 down at HT in 79. Deehan x2 and Shelton x3

IIRC, we did the same against Arsenal in October 76, two months before the famous Liverpool game. 0-1 at HT, 5-1 at full time. Can't remember who scored. Gray? Little? Graydon? Carrodus?

I've got a funny feeling we could be seeing a semi-repeat of that tonight. I mean, the 0-1 at HT bit sounds plausible enough...

In the ground my favourite has been relegating Coventry (2 down at half time and won 3-2, think Angel got his first goal?) and it was my first time on the Holte. Recently would be away at West Ham under Houllier - mental when that gabby goal went in

In the pub: Everton 2-3; Blackburn 6-4; Arsenal away under Houllier (Had £30 on us at 10s - tense last five after they scored!!)

Obviously there's loads of obvious choices that are probably our greatest ever games.

But one of my fondest memories is that 3-2 vs Everton, where Lescott equalised in the last minute and then we went straight down the other end and won it. Maybe that's not right calling it the greatest ever game, but I'd genuinely say that's one of my greatest ever moments.

I wish I'd been at that game, or at least in the pub. It would have been mental.

I agree. I've watched the reply of the highlights so many times. I watched it sat at home with family and a particularly smug Spurs supporting mate who couldn't wipe the smirk from his face when Everton equalised, needless to say his satisfaction withered with the three of us jumping around celebrating right in his face. "Ashley Young... He's done it!"

I had a ticket for that game, but sold it on, as my Grandad died in the week leading up to it. Ended up watching it around my parents, and it really put a smile on our faces, after a pretty horrible week.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

I was fortunate to be present when we beat Internazionale 2-0 many years ago and their team featured three players who had just won the World Cup in 1990; Brehme, Matthaus and Klinsmann.

I remember getting some great signatures too that night, Jimmy Greaves, David Platt, Walter Zenga, Bergomi, Brehme and many others I cannot remember. But I was absolutely gutted when my footballing hero Lothar Matthaus didn't stop by to give me an autograph to which my Dad shouted after him: "You arrogant German git" as he knew how upset I was (I was twelve years old).

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 was without doubt our best first half CI. Goals from Gray (2), Deehan (2) and Little did for them on 15/12/76.

This.

The 2nd half didn't compare to the first half. But the first half not only made this the best game Villa game ever for me but also one of the best displays of football I have very seen by any team.

Frankly we were absolutely stunning and sadly there were no cameras there!

Anyone who was there that night saw some of the most exciting football ever played on a pitch. We were incredible and blew Liverpool away ( at the time they were the best club in Europe).

Some years later I met Emlyn Hughes and he agreed that we totally outplayed them and were unstoppable.

Inho this was our best ever team in modern times.

I was 15, but still remember my Dad crying with joy and disbeleif towards half time - he always said it was the best he had ever seen Villa play. My two outstanding memories are of Brian Little curling in a shot from the left, and Mortimer Surging through their midfield and defence what seemed like 20/30 times !!

Also loved us against Bournemouth, 2-1 (1974 ?) - best atmosphere I can remember, and my first game, against Torquay, which we won either 4-1 or 5-1 and to my possibly incorrect recollection I saw Little come on as Sub for his debut and score a cracker.

In recent times, beating Man U at Old Trafford was great, but the 5-1 against City must be right up there for sheer fun.

Edited by terrytini

From games I've attended Man United away was pretty special for me on 12/12/09, my 25th birthday.  To finally beat those bastards after the torment and ruining of my childhood they dished out was a great feeling.  I was living in Manchester at the time too so even better.

• Like 4

Be interesting to do a correlation of who the managers were; lots for Saunders, GT mk I, BFR and even MON. 

Have to be honest and say I saw a few enjoyable games with GT mk II, Houllier, Lambert and even McLeish. Yes I witnessed the 3-1 victory at Stamford Bridge; talk about unexpected!

This one might seem strange to most, but even till this day one of my favourite ever Villa games was a 2-1 away win against Middlesbrough. It was the game under O'Dreary, and we scored in the last min. We'd gone a goal down in the first half, and we equalised before half time. Just after the break, Nobby Solano got sent off, after George Boateng threw himself on the floor clutching his face, after a slight slap. We proceeded to get battered for the rest of the game, but somehow we managed to keep them out. The 1,500 - 2,000 Villa fans that were there would have been over the moon to escape with a draw, then out of no where Ulises De La Cruz managed a rare attack at their goal and managed to get a shot away, across Mark Schwarzer who could only parry it to his right, where an unmarked Peter Crouch waltzed in for a simple tap in, and the ultimate smash and grab was complete. Cue the Villa faithful (myself in their number) going absolutely mental, like only our away fans can. Surging to the font, spilling onto the pitch, fans and players embracing in a mass of claret and blue heaven. I've been to a few games that have produced last min winners, and I've been to many more important matches, but that one will live with me for a long time. It's what being a Villa fan is all about. Love it!

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 4

This one might seem strange to most, but even till this day one of my favourite ever Villa games was a 2-1 away win against Middlesbrough. It was the game under O'Dreary, and we scored in the last min. We'd gone a goal down in the first half, and we equalised before half time. Just after the break, Nobby Solano got sent off, after George Boateng threw himself on the floor clutching his face, after a slight slap. We proceeded to get battered for the rest of the game, but somehow we managed to keep them out. The 1,500 - 2,000 Villa fans that were there would have been over the moon to escape with a draw, then out of no where Ulises De La Cruz managed a rare attack at their goal and managed to get a shot away, across Mark Schwarzer who could only parry it to his right, where an unmarked Peter Crouch waltzed in for a simple tap in, and the ultimate smash and grab was complete. Cue the Villa faithful (myself in their number) going absolutely mental, like only our away fans can. Surging to the font, spilling onto the pitch, fans and players embracing in a mass of claret and blue heaven. I've been to a few games that have produced last min winners, and I've been to many more important matches, but that one will live with me for a long time. It's what being a Villa fan is all about. Love it!

Yep, there was something about that game that was really special.

I saw Peter Crouch in Bambu that very night and gave him a hug so genuine and passionate that he probably felt violated.

• Like 1

Beating Leicester that season away 5-1 was a good game. As was beating Charlton 2-1 with them missing a penalty last minute

5-0 wasnt it. Sadly the thing remembered from that day was Ian Walker attacking his own fan :D

away at West Ham under Houllier - mental when that gabby goal went in

Listened to that on talksport, even more sweeter because Alvin martin in the build up was banging on about west ham would win because villa didn't have the stomach for a relegation battle. He was close to tears after the game

• Like 1

Â