Newspaper of choice?

Avfc96

I should put out that I only read the Daily Mail sports articles online, nothing else from them.

Ah, a new riff on the old "I only buy Penthouse for the articles about cars and travel" routine.

Metro and Brum Mail are the only hard copies I read but I will read all the big ones online, usually after being diverted via a link . The one thing you should always remember is that they are not working in the public's interest . They exist to make money .

Doesn't the Guardian lose money? Obviously they need to make SOME money, and they're not above publishing nonsense to boost circulation, but I have it in my head that as an organisation they lose money.

Metro and Brum Mail are the only hard copies I read but I will read all the big ones online, usually after being diverted via a link . The one thing you should always remember is that they are not working in the public's interest . They exist to make money .

Doesn't the Guardian lose money? Obviously they need to make SOME money, and they're not above publishing nonsense to boost circulation, but I have it in my head that as an organisation they lose money.

I have no idea mate. How do they keep going ?

I have no idea mate. How do they keep going ?

Wikipedia says this:

"The Guardian is part of the GMG Guardian Media Group of newspapers, radio stations, print media including The Observer Sunday newspaper, The Guardian Weekly international newspaper, and new media—Guardian Abroad website, and guardian.co.uk. All the aforementioned were owned by The Scott Trust, a charitable foundation existing between 1936 and 2008, which aimed to ensure the paper's editorial independence in perpetuity, maintaining its financial health to ensure it did not become vulnerable to take overs by for-profit media groups. At the beginning of October 2008, the Scott Trusts assets were transferred to a new limited company, The Scott Trust Limited, with the intention being that the original trust would be wound up.[86] Dame Liz Forgan, chair of the Scott Trust, reassured staff that the purposes of the new company remained as under the previous arrangements.

The Guardian has been consistently loss-making. The National Newspaper division of GMG, which also includes The Observer, reported operating losses of £49.9m in 2006, up from £18.6m in 2005.[87] The paper is therefore heavily dependent on cross-subsidisation from profitable companies within the group, including Auto Trader."

And, more worryingly, this:

"For the three years up to June 2012, its parent lost £100,000 a day, which prompted Intelligent Life to question whether The Guardian can survive."

The Guardian (of course). Print version only on Saturday though. 

The Guardian doesn't have a print version anymore? Wow.

(no sarcasm intended, I'm genuinely surprised)

No, Mike means he only gets the print version on a Saturday, the rest of the week  he reads online only. The Guardian is still printed 6 days a week

The Guardian (of course). Print version only on Saturday though. 

The Guardian doesn't have a print version anymore? Wow.

(no sarcasm intended, I'm genuinely surprised)

No, Mike means he only gets the print version on a Saturday, the rest of the week  he reads online only. The Guardian is still printed 6 days a week

**** like him make newspapers lose money :)

• Like 1

When I was in london for 2 months earlier this year I read the Mirror and Metro nearly every day.I found them both a good read.

That says a lot.

The only print news I read are the Metro and the London Evening Standard as they're free and it's something to do on the tube. The Metro is absolute pap, but I understand they have to appeal to a wider audience and in bite size format. It's obsolete by 10am.

The Standard is an excellent paper. Very well written and weighty.

Â