Newspaper of choice?

Avfc96

If you listen to the Now Show on R4 - you can podcast this weeks. John Finnamore takes the Daily Mail to pieces over its coverage of the original Vicky Pryce trial.

is this the piece that included the fact that 'only two whites' were on the thick as shit jury, though even the darkies did have a working knowledge of the english language?

It was on in the background, the sad thing is, whilst i was only half listening I did presume it was about the Mail.

Yes thats the one. Asking how the jury managed to understand proceedings without a witch doctor present.

It was brilliant.

Metro and Brum Mail are the only hard copies I read but I will read all the big ones online, usually after being diverted via a link . The one thing you should always remember is that they are not working in the public's interest . They exist to make money .

Doesn't the Guardian lose money? Obviously they need to make SOME money, and they're not above publishing nonsense to boost circulation, but I have it in my head that as an organisation they lose money.

IINM, all of the national quality papers (with the possible exception of the FT) run at a loss (though the Guardian's following the Mail into being a global website may make the website profitable): they stay around because the owners make enough money from other papers (e.g. The Sun subsidizes The Times) or because they're willing to burn the money for influence.

If I was to buy a paper it would probably be the Guardian as that's the website I find myself reading the most. I get my news from all over t'web though.

If I was to buy a paper it would probably be the Guardian as that's the website I find myself reading the most. I get my news from all over t'web though.

What are the Irish papers like?

I very rarely buy a newspaper, but when I do it's always the I, which is the Independant's compact little newspaper, as I'm sure you all know.

Anything else is just an excessive waste of paper.

Irish Times, Irish Independent & Evening Herald would be the big non-tabloid ones. We also have a Sun, Mail and Daily Star amongst smaller ones. IIRC our Irish Times isn't part of your Times so it doesn't have whatshisface dictating the M.O..

Local papers amuse me.

The Bradford Telegraph and Argus normally has three banner headlines on its publicity hoardings each day - you know, those small sandwich boards propped outside kiosks, etc.

I've been making a little informal study of them for the past couple of years, and concluded that the pattern is to emphasise bad news (easy to do in Bradford, admittedly).

Most likely pattern is "two bad, one good/neutral". "Three bad" is fairly common. "Two good" is unknown.

A typical day will read something like: 

"Tragedy of disabled man beaten to death by burglars"

"More shops to close in city centre"

"Brave city narrowly fail to salvage a point"

It must help to reinforce peoples' negative mindsets.

Irish Times, Irish Independent & Evening Herald would be the big non-tabloid ones. We also have a Sun, Mail and Daily Star amongst smaller ones. IIRC our Irish Times isn't part of your Times so it doesn't have whatshisface dictating the M.O..

Irish Sun, Mail and Star are actually probably worse than the British equivalent as they do about 4 pages on Irish news and the rest is the British paper.

I read Irish Sunday Star once and it was an absolute disgrace to journalism

Irish Sun, Mail and Star are actually probably worse than the British equivalent as they do about 4 pages on Irish news and the rest is the British paper.

I read Irish Sunday Star once and it was an absolute disgrace to journalism

You haven't read the New Paper then (Singapore's equivalent of the Mail), horrendous newspaper.

Actual newspaper - Daily Mirror (as i work for them, and so get the paper free everyday).

I hope you are not responsible for their appalling transfer rumours.  Must be the only media outlet with a 100% incorrect transfer rumour rate.

"Disgrace to journalism" is tautology.

Thought you said you read the Guardian regularly?

I said I did the daily cryptic crossword online, and I buy the paper on Saturday - mainly for the sports and book review sections. Very rarely read any of the editorials, etc.

It is the best of a bad bunch, though.

"Disgrace to journalism" is tautology.

Thought you said you read the Guardian regularly?

I said I did the daily cryptic crossword online, and I buy the paper on Saturday - mainly for the sports and book review sections. Very rarely read any of the editorials, etc.

It is the best of a bad bunch, though.

So should I study Journalism at Uni? (genuine question)

Â