Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

So it is confirmed he fired 4 shots through the bathroom door hitting her 3 times. His defence seems to be that he didn't know who was in there. Neighbours had reported disturbaces at his flat earlier in the evening.

I think this is why the Police are so confident that this was premediated, if it was a 'disturbance' that was going on for several hours I guess they can argue it wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Something I've been mulling over... might be bollocks but hear me out here....

Lets just assume that old Oscar did think it was an intruder in the house, highly unlikely I know but lets pretend a moment.

The intruder is in the bathroom with the door shut, in a house full of valuables the intruder is in the bathroom with the door shut.

He then fires 4 times through the closed door you would have to presume without warning otherwise she would have said "It's me you idiot".

Now even if that was an intruder that in itself is murder in my book.

It would be different if the 'intruder' had a knife or was coming at him, but in a bathroom with the door shut. That is just murder whoever was on the other side of the door.

Lets just assume that old Oscar did think it was an intruder in the house, highly unlikely I know but lets pretend a moment.

The intruder is in the bathroom with the door shut, in a house full of valuables the intruder is in the bathroom with the door shut.

He then fires 4 times through the closed door you would have to presume without warning otherwise she would have said "It's me you idiot".

It would be different if the 'intruder' had a knife or was coming at him, but in a bathroom with the door shut. That is just murder whoever was on the other side of the door.

In south africa I believe it is legal to shoot someone who is in your house. You are supposed to fire a warning shot first but after that, if they are still in your house it is fair game.

Fully agree Trent. Also, you'd assume in between being alerted to the potential intruder in the bathroom and shooting he'd have called the police.

He's going to have a very hard time:

1) convincing them he thought it was an intruder given there were no sign of forced entry.

2) convinveing them it wasn't premeditated as 'reports' say there were disturbances all evening

3) convincing them shooting the 'intruder' several times through the locked door was the only course action. I guess he could have just walked out the front door to safety.

In south africa I believe it is legal to shoot someone who is in your house.

Including your girlfriend? :P

In south africa I believe it is legal to shoot someone who is in your house. You are supposed to fire a warning shot first but after that, if they are still in your house it is fair game.

I wasn't aware of that but surely if they are in a bathroom, with the door shut warning shot or not you haven't given them a chance to run or get out.

Ah anyway, it doesn't matter I don't believe for one minute he thought she was an intruder and I think he will be found guilty of murder.

I have to admit, I'm very eager to hear his defence and how his lawyer tries to get him out of it because at the moment, based on the speculation and I accept it is mostly only speculation, he looks as guilty as Jimmy Savile with a puppy and a bag of Worthers Original.

• Like 1

On the intruder thing Trent has mentioned above, surely (and I don't know the setup of his house) the last thing you'd want to do is give the intruder a chance to shoot you. His best bet would have been to get cover and wait until this person came out of the bathroom and then take him out, by shooting through the door he may have missed and then given the intruder a chance to get himself some cover and fire back, illogical.

Anyhow, it seems pretty clear cut, the intruder bit is not apparently accurate anyway, I'm sure the prisoners are eagerly awaiting his arrival.

On the intruder thing Trent has mentioned above, surely (and I don't know the setup of his house) the last thing you'd want to do is give the intruder a chance to shoot you. His best bet would have been to get cover and wait until this person came out of the bathroom and then take him out, by shooting through the door he may have missed and then given the intruder a chance to get himself some cover and fire back, illogical.

I love comments like this.

He's not a trained secret agent.

IF (a big if) the story of him thinking she was an intruder was true, I doubt he'd be thinking completely logically and weighing up his best strategic options, and hatching some master plan by "getting cover" like some sort of commando.

I'd imagine it would be more like "****!! THERE'S SOMEONE IN MY HOUSE" *bang bang bang bang*

I think the idea of the 'warning shot' is to give the intruder the opportunity to back down. I imagine if the 'intruder' was locked in the bathroom they're not posing a threat and don't require shooting.

Yes, there is supposed to be a warning shot to give the burgler a chance to change their mind and get the **** out of the house. However apparently in practice what often happens is the homeowner blasts the burgler away and then fires a 'warning shot' into a wall to have a cover story ready for the police.

I almost feel a bit sorry for Mr Pistorius; he obviously has some mental issues which were not of his own choosing. Now he's going to spend the rest of his life paying for a mistake that was driven by an anger management issue beyond his control.

That said, I feel far sorrier for the victim and her family.

I almost feel a bit sorry for Mr Pistorius; he obviously has some mental issues which were not of his own choosing. Now he's going to spend the rest of his life paying for a mistake that was driven by an anger management issue beyond his control.

Well you can say that about any crime really. The pedophile, the rapist etc usually there is some underlying mental issue that sends someone down the wrong path.

Well you can say that about any crime really. The pedophile, the rapist etc usually there is some underlying mental issue that sends someone down the wrong path.

True, and I'm not saying it should in any way excuse Pistorius, I just feel a bit sorry for these individuals who head down such paths in life without chosing to do so.

Edited by Shillzz

I love comments like this.

He's not a trained secret agent.

IF (a big if) the story of him thinking she was an intruder was true, I doubt he'd be thinking completely logically and weighing up his best strategic options, and hatching some master plan by "getting cover" like some sort of commando.

I'd imagine it would be more like "****!! THERE'S SOMEONE IN MY HOUSE" *bang bang bang bang*

I love comments like this. Putting words into somebody elses mouth and trying to make them look stupid.

Who said anything about him being a trained secret agent? Merely pointing out that I would imagine that put into that situation, the last thing that you would do is start unleashing bullet after bullet into a door, without having any clue who was behind it, what they were doing, where they were stood etc etc. Perhaps I am idealistic, I'm sure he wouldn't have time to hatch any kind of plan, or be in the frame of mind to do so but I would have thought that hiding behind something would be the most natural thing to do, after all, he is not a trained killer who is used to firing a weapon (perhaps he is).

Either way, it is a flimsy excuse whichever way you flip it around, it will be interesting to see what 'story' they end up with and how the justice system deals with him.

Edited by AndyClarke

Â