Best Places to live in the UK

AvfcTheObsession

North is too cold and wet, but if that's not an issue Edinburgh is nice. Newcastle is entertaining and friendly.

50% of the landmass left.

Norwich is ok, but miles away from everywhere so ditch East Anglia, unless remote featureless landscape floats your boat.

The East Midlands, well, no.

Wales is bipolar, wonderfully beautiful and horrifically scarred - People and landscape.

Bristol, Devon and Cambridge from the above are good.

Brighton & Hove, Somerset and Cornwall are nice - The Cornish I've met often really yearn to return, much more than the Scots to Scotland.

Cotswolds, Bath, Dorset, Wiltshire are pretty but there's not a fat lot going on.

Shropshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Herefordshire have lovely bits but Brum is still the big night out.

London has work, nightlife, culture, great food, expensive accommodation, general filth and shit drivers.

Avoid medium sized market towns that are within 25 miles of a big city (or 50 miles of London) because they will basically have **** all but houses and crime. You are shit out of luck if you want to do anything of an evening.

Well that's me **** then.

Unless you earn a shit load of money, London is frankly amongst the worst places to live in the UK because your quality of life will be (relatively) shit. It simply costs too much to rent even a room, let alone an apartment. I'm about to be shelling out around a grand month for something that is shite. For that I could rent a 3 bedroom house in Bournville. Suffice to say, I hate London.

You're clearly living in the wrong part of London. Born and bred in Brum, apart from 3 years in Sheffield at Uni. Now live in London (13 years I think), wouldn't move anywhere else in the country, oh and I don't earn a sh1te load of money.

Wife an I toyed with the idea of moving to Bristol for a while, but knocked on the head, for a number of reasons, but mainly because we love London.

Have lived in Sheffield and Leeds. Both great to live in, Leeds was superb as a student city and I would happily go back. Sheffield is a bit quieter and the town centre isn't as good for shopping or going out drinking but it is probably a 'prettier' city. Nice people too. WIll potentially be living in Manchester come September so can tick off another northern city. I wouldn't want to live south of Birmingham unless it was necessary for work.

Unless you earn a shit load of money, London is frankly amongst the worst places to live in the UK because your quality of life will be (relatively) shit. It simply costs too much to rent even a room, let alone an apartment. I'm about to be shelling out around a grand month for something that is shite. For that I could rent a 3 bedroom house in Bournville. Suffice to say, I hate London.

You're clearly living in the wrong part of London. Born and bred in Brum, apart from 3 years in Sheffield at Uni. Now live in London (13 years I think), wouldn't move anywhere else in the country, oh and I don't earn a sh1te load of money.

Wife an I toyed with the idea of moving to Bristol for a while, but knocked on the head, for a number of reasons, but mainly because we love London.

lol well I will be living in Surrey Quays so hardly the wrong part. I guess it depends what you define quality of life as. For me it's purchasing power and being able to save. As I said, for what I'm paying out I could rent a lovely 3 bedroom house in Bournville. For me quality of life just isn't that good in London. Birmingham is pretty underrated to be honest..

lol well I will be living in Surrey Quays so hardly the wrong part. I guess it depends what you define quality of life as. For me it's purchasing power and being able to save. As I said, for what I'm paying out I could rent a lovely 3 bedroom house in Bournville. For me quality of life just isn't that good in London. Birmingham is pretty underrated to be honest..

I think someone up-thread has already said that London only works if you can afford it. If you're earning enough, there's nowhere better but it's a horrible place to live if you can't afford it.

I think I've pretty much loved all the places I've lived but I would ay Scottish winters are hard work. All the places I've lived (in order of preference:

London

Paris

Outer Hebrides*

Toulouse

Cardiff

Glasgow

Buckinghamshire

Edinburgh

Swansea

Birmingham

It's odd that I loved living in Birmingham but apart from the Villa, it doesn't seem to offer as much for me as the others.

* it is possible that I have a slightly rose-tinted view on this one as I tend to love going back but am normally bored after three days.

I lived in London for 4 years, great [;ace to live if you have the money, things which are not so good is the costs of living, you dont get much for your money in terms of housing or transport, plus the cost of beer is high, although Brum is catching up.

I moved back home to Brum, to be honest if it wasnt for family and friends I wouldnt live here. I live in south brum and the thing which i hate the most is Birmingham drivers, i'd put a wager on saying that they must be the worst in the UK. Town centre is OK, its getting better. The thing london has which Birmingham could do with is better High Streets, coffee bars and cafes are hard to come by. Solihull is nice but the house prices arnt kind to hose on a low income.

Haven't got the money for London.

Possible options of those suggested:

York, imagine that's a fairly nice city, will have to visit come time.

Cornwall, going the other way down the country, could see it being a relaxing place to live, although maybe a bit boring.

Northern cities like Sheffield and Manchester have seemed decent when I've been, with friendly people up there.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

Birmingham born and bred (first 18 years), Leeds ever since (41 years now). I like the place, especially as we're in a nice area, with easy access to the Dales.

But we may well move at some point post-retirement. Could be anywhere in England, but our connections with the the West Midlands and Devon might be an influence.

But we may well move at some point post-retirement. Could be anywhere in England, but our connections with the West Midlands and Devon might be an influence.

You sound like a crimewatch suspect, 'MJ Mooney has connections to Devon and the West Midlands. Be aware, he may be armed'.

But we may well move at some point post-retirement. Could be anywhere in England, but our connections with the West Midlands and Devon might be an influence.

You sound like a crimewatch suspect, 'MJ Mooney has connections to Devon and the West Midlands. Be aware, he may be armed'.

police5.jpg

Â