Best Places to live in the UK

AvfcTheObsession

So where are the best towns/cities/areas to live in the UK?

I've lived in Bham all my life apart from my 3 years at Leeds Uni.

I'm not a massive fan of Bham, apart from the fact it contains the greatest football club known to man, one day I see myself venturing out and making a fresh start somewhere.

Where do people recommend?

I'm from Birmingham, went to uni in Leeds and now live in Nottingham and think it is great. 

Well I've got 2 out of the 3. See you in Notts in a few years I guess, haha. Is the 'Shotingham' tag overplayed?

Yes and no.

They've had big problems in the city with gun crime but figures oddly that came out today show it is/has been cut dramatically. I would also add that it isn't an issue for 99% of the people who live here, it is very much isolated to 2 or 3 areas and to organised crime the general public rarely if ever get caught up in it.

The reasons I like it are I can be at VP in an hour, I can live in a lovely area 1 mile from town and I've two football grounds and a cricket ground on my door step. Oh and 2 rugby clubs, a water sports centre, boat and rowing clubs, canoe clubs, an ice rink..... it goes on and on.

Honestly it is a great place to live or at least I think it is.

Birmingham born, then lived and worked in the city on and off throughout my life. It's basically a hole and up there with the worst UK has to offer, although the urban north in general plus Merthyr Tydfil probably take the 'Dingle Berries of Britain' awards.

Avoid medium sized market towns that are within 25 miles of a big city (or 50 miles of London) because they will basically have **** all but houses and crime. You are shit out of luck if you want to do anything of an evening.

Unless you earn a shit load of money, London is frankly amongst the worst places to live in the UK because your quality of life will be (relatively) shit. It simply costs too much to rent even a room, let alone an apartment. I'm about to be shelling out around a grand month for something that is shite. For that I could rent a 3 bedroom house in Bournville. Suffice to say, I hate London.

Â