Best Places to live in the UK

AvfcTheObsession

But we may well move at some point post-retirement. Could be anywhere in England, but our connections with the West Midlands and Devon might be an influence.

You sound like a crimewatch suspect, 'MJ Mooney has connections to Devon and the West Midlands. Be aware, he may be armed'.

Gotta be more to this than meets they eye.

You don't just shoot your GF dead in the middle of the nigjht 'by mistake', IMO ....

Well that's where you're wrong. I've done it several times.

:suspect:

But we may well move at some point post-retirement. Could be anywhere in England, but our connections with the West Midlands and Devon might be an influence.

You sound like a crimewatch suspect, 'MJ Mooney has connections to Devon and the West Midlands. Be aware, he may be armed'.

>

Gotta be more to this than meets they eye.

You don't just shoot your GF dead in the middle of the nigjht 'by mistake', IMO ....

Well that's where you're wrong. I've done it several times.

:suspect:

He still hasn't given closure on this ....

good connection by the way. :thumb:

Edited by Jon

I've been in and out of Leeds for football games and passed through it on the train. No way would I live there. York, no thanks, go up for the Ebor festival once a year and that's enough. Jesmond in Newacstle is ok but I really wouldn't live north of Birmingham in reality.

If you judge Leeds by the football ground area and what you see from the train, you will inevitably think it's a shithole. That is true of so many towns and cities.

It's actually very good.

Bradford, on the other hand... :puke:

Edited by mjmooney

Almost every area of the UK has its nice bits but with a shit hole round the corner. Edgbaston must be the best example of this from million pound houses to what resembles a ghetto only a stones throw away. To generalise such large places as London, Leeds or Nottingham is fairly pointless you almost have to be street specific now.

Where I am...

+ Two major music festivals, three small music festivals, great views, beautiful countryside, amazing beaches.

- Hardly any jobs, crap shops, awful amount of pubs, coffee shops and betting shops, crap public transport, expensive to get away from here, very overcrowded in summer, foreign students cause hell. OAP's fill most of the population and a small percentage of these are awful people.

Each and every town has it's good and bad parts and to a certain extent you'll get out of any town what you're prepared to put into it. I've known someone that liked Pontypridd, personally I think if I drove up there and shit in the street it could only improve the place. 

I've spent a good chunk of time in Bromsgrove, Redditch, Hammersmith, Cardiff and Sittingbourne. By some considerable margin the worst place on the list is Sittingbourne. Can't say I'm overly fond of Redditch. If I could live anywhere and money was no issue it would be London. On a realistic budget, it's Cardiff. Big enough to have decent shops and facilities, on the coast, a short drive from countryside, mountains or beaches.

I've known someone that liked Pontypridd, personally I think if I drove up there and shit in the street it could only improve the place.

Having been there recently, I believe somebody has beaten you to it ;)

I moved to St Albans from Birmingham 3 years ago. Easy (but expensive) 25 minute commute into London, with trains that run to and from London all night. Nice little Roman town - lots of pubs, open space and 90 minutes up the motorway every other week for the Villa. Property is not far off London prices though, which is a bit crap.

I moved to a village/small town Ponteland ( a small village about 8 miles from Newcastle) from Solihull about 7 years ago and apart from the initial settling in period I love it. 

Easy access to Newcastle, which is a great night out and decent shopping

Northumbrian countryside about a minute from my house

Amazing coastline about 15-20mins away.

Thought it would just be a short term thing but couldn't see myself going back TBH.

Good call on York though.

There is a cracking curry house in St Albans on the High St

Not cheap but food is off the scale

Yep, that's Veer Dhara. Tom Cruise visited last year when he was filming at Leavesden Studios. Really good food but yes, expensive.

Yes that's the one, food was amazing went on work expenses luckily (not public sector before anyone has a pop).

Â