Best Places to live in the UK

AvfcTheObsession

London is really for youngsters not ideal for families.

Has anyone mentioned The Cotswolds

London not ideal for families?

Free public transport for kids, massive parks everywhere, history on every corner.

Admittedly rough inner London south of the bridge is good stabbin' territory, but again it's down to finances to choose a location.

Lots of trade offs, for a crap house in London you could buy a nice 3 bedroom detached one in Birmingham.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Unless you earn a shit load of money, London is frankly amongst the worst places to live in the UK because your quality of life will be (relatively) shit. It simply costs too much to rent even a room, let alone an apartment. I'm about to be shelling out around a grand month for something that is shite. For that I could rent a 3 bedroom house in Bournville. Suffice to say, I hate London.

You're clearly living in the wrong part of London. Born and bred in Brum, apart from 3 years in Sheffield at Uni. Now live in London (13 years I think), wouldn't move anywhere else in the country, oh and I don't earn a sh1te load of money.

Wife an I toyed with the idea of moving to Bristol for a while, but knocked on the head, for a number of reasons, but mainly because we love London.

lol well I will be living in Surrey Quays so hardly the wrong part. I guess it depends what you define quality of life as. For me it's purchasing power and being able to save. As I said, for what I'm paying out I could rent a lovely 3 bedroom house in Bournville. For me quality of life just isn't that good in London. Birmingham is pretty underrated to be honest..

I don't get it. Why don't you rent the lovely three bed in Bournville then instead of paying for the shit place in London!? I'm guessing it's because it's all relative and the wages you'd get in B'ham wouldn't be as much as in London and so you wouldn't be able to afford the 3 bed anyway.

Born in Brum and lived in Balsall Heath for the first 8 years of my life. Family home is now In Leamington Spa. For Work I lived in Nottingham for 2 years. Now live in London with the wife and have been here since 2010.

I think Nottingham is a fantastic place. I lived in the Lace Market and Mapperley Park. Both great areas.

London is brilliant if you can live in the right area. I lived in West Hampstead for 2 years and it was brilliant for everything.

Leamington Spa is also great but if I moved back it would be to live in town near the Parade.

Birmingham is where all my extended family and where I grew up. I love the city but I wouldn't live there. Personally.

Even though it's a little quiet at the moment, I love Bewdley. We've got a safari park, a steam railway, great restaurants and it's still small enough that there is actually a community.

I'm planning to leave Brum sometime in the next ten years , torn between Devon (I have one of my best friends living in Torbay), Worcester area - near family or Merseyside - no reason other than I love the Isle of Man and, apart from actually moving there itself, it's next best - 2 and a half hour quick sea trip on the catamaran from Liverpool for the odd weekend! PLUS you seem to get more for your money up there and I don't have much of that!

Dragged up in Sutton Coldfield, did the tour of the B's. now been in Cornwall for 9years.

Cornwall is seriously so laid back its asleep. Not much to do, no work outside the tourist industry and visitors with attitude are eaten.....

......but the surfs good and life is just a huge beach trip!

Run for the Sun!

Unless you earn a shit load of money, London is frankly amongst the worst places to live in the UK because your quality of life will be (relatively) shit. It simply costs too much to rent even a room, let alone an apartment. I'm about to be shelling out around a grand month for something that is shite. For that I could rent a 3 bedroom house in Bournville. Suffice to say, I hate London.

You're clearly living in the wrong part of London. Born and bred in Brum, apart from 3 years in Sheffield at Uni. Now live in London (13 years I think), wouldn't move anywhere else in the country, oh and I don't earn a sh1te load of money.

Wife an I toyed with the idea of moving to Bristol for a while, but knocked on the head, for a number of reasons, but mainly because we love London.

lol well I will be living in Surrey Quays so hardly the wrong part. I guess it depends what you define quality of life as. For me it's purchasing power and being able to save. As I said, for what I'm paying out I could rent a lovely 3 bedroom house in Bournville. For me quality of life just isn't that good in London. Birmingham is pretty underrated to be honest..

I don't get it. Why don't you rent the lovely three bed in Bournville then instead of paying for the shit place in London!? I'm guessing it's because it's all relative and the wages you'd get in B'ham wouldn't be as much as in London and so you wouldn't be able to afford the 3 bed anyway.

Economic necessity, the job market in Birmingham is absolutely shite whereas it isn't in London. You could rent a 3 bed room house in Bournville on about £26k a year, the London adjustment is generally overstated. So it's not all relative at all. If the job market were working properly in Birmingham then people may have half a chance.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I've found Cornwall a bit up it's own arse in recent years, thanks in no short measure to Rock, Padstow + Rick Stein, singing fishermen and those West Cornwall Pasty stands in all London stations.

Much prefer the less pretentious East Devon area.

• Like 1

I've found Cornwall a bit up it's own arse in recent years, thanks in no short measure to Rock, Padstow + Rick Stein, singing fishermen and those West Cornwall Pasty stands in all London stations.

Agreed. Cornwall thinks it's 'Celtic fringe', and some of the locals share the worst attitudes of the Welsh (present Welsh company excepted!). 

Devon FTW. 

• Like 1

Considering most of the new weath down here originates from the metropolis, thats a bit of a bizarre theory.......a bit like saying Sutton Coldfield residents are up their own arses, which I'm sure is'nt quite true.

Agree, though, with mjmooney.....there is a element of the Celtic 'fringe' down here. They're great to wind up!

Â