World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Croatia the better team and fully deserved to go through. Missing Sigthorsson is too much for us and we didn't stand a chance. The players did very well to get this far but in the end it was a step that was too big. Maybe in the future?

If you want to see a real tearjerker moment - Eidur Gudjohnsen breaks into tears after admitting that he's played his last game for Iceland (starts at about 2:20). A true legend for us  :( .

• Like 1

Howard Webb is terrible.

What did he do?

Clear penalty. Booked Kallstrom for diving.

Now we are gonna send Portugal home with nothing. Zlatan  :)

Well it was a perfectly correct decision from Howard Webb, who had an absolutely great game. It's nice to see the best refs when they let play get on instead of booking player and giving them a talking to, which means the other team will be penalized as well since the momentum is lost. Webb is great at playing the advantage and the flow continues.

As for your call of clear penalty? The player is clearly off the ground long before any contact and it's a very clear yellow card. I would imagine you would have said the same thing if the exact same thing happened at the other end with Ronaldo? It's called reflection, look it up.

Croatia the better team and fully deserved to go through. Missing Sigthorsson is too much for us and we didn't stand a chance. The players did very well to get this far but in the end it was a step that was too big. Maybe in the future?

If you want to see a real tearjerker moment - Eidur Gudjohnsen breaks into tears after admitting that he's played his last game for Iceland (starts at about 2:20). A true legend for us  :( .

Shame for Eidur but Croatia were so comfortable tonight even with 10 men, clear gulf in class.

Iceland shouldn't lose heart, another decent qualifying group and qualifying for euro 2106 is a very realistic prospect, did look very limited going forward tonight so think they lacked a bit of experience for this occasion.

To people watching the game, did Ukranian deserve to be sent off? Why do I have visions of Platini running down from the stands and personally waving a red card in his face? Ukraine had no chance after that.

Howard Webb is terrible.

What did he do?

Clear penalty. Booked Kallstrom for diving.

Now we are gonna send Portugal home with nothing. Zlatan  :)

Well it was a perfectly correct decision from Howard Webb, who had an absolutely great game. It's nice to see the best refs when they let play get on instead of booking player and giving them a talking to, which means the other team will be penalized as well since the momentum is lost. Webb is great at playing the advantage and the flow continues.

As for your call of clear penalty? The player is clearly off the ground long before any contact and it's a very clear yellow card. I would imagine you would have said the same thing if the exact same thing happened at the other end with Ronaldo? It's called reflection, look it up.

Yeah, the odd thing is it was also a Swede who dived in the first leg when Elmander went down. 

Typically it is the Portuguese who have the reputation for diving, rather than Sweden. 

Shame for Eidur but Croatia were so comfortable tonight even with 10 men, clear gulf in class.

Iceland shouldn't lose heart, another decent qualifying group and qualifying for euro 2106 is a very realistic prospect, did look very limited going forward tonight so think they lacked a bit of experience for this occasion.

To people watching the game, did Ukranian deserve to be sent off? Why do I have visions of Platini running down from the stands and personally waving a red card in his face? Ukraine had no chance after that.

Plenty of time to work on grass roots football before that one.

• Like 1

It was a huge bonus for Iceland to get into the playoffs, it would of course be impossible to win the group but what they have done is incredible.

I come from Norway and we have 5 million people living here, Iceland have 320.000! It's embarrassing to finish behind them to say the least, it's like Wales beating England really. Of course population means nothing when you can develop great players, but it basically gives a huge indication of how well you can possibly perform. Imagine San Marino's chances, they have 32.000 people to choose from ;)

So presuming Uruguay and Mexico finish off their ties tomorrow, 24 out of the 32 teams in the world cup qualified in 2010 also. Same old same old. You could then argue the differences are like for like. Bosnia for Slovenia, Belgium for Denmark etc

Also no Scandinavian teams at this world cup, is that a first?

So presuming Uruguay and Mexico finish off their ties tomorrow, 24 out of the 32 teams in the world cup qualified in 2010 also. Same old same old. You could then argue the differences are like for like. Bosnia for Slovenia, Belgium for Denmark etc

Also no Scandinavian teams at this world cup, is that a first?

I don't know, but  find it quite sad :(

TE5p7fb.gif

f7Qx0Uo.gif

jbSFppU.gif

What a player. You've got a chance in any game if you've got a bloke in the team who you can rely on to get onto the end of any ball and make chances for himself like Ronaldo does.  His first touch is superb and he is so composed in front of goal.  It was virtually the same goal three times tonight, which is understandable considering Sweden had to take the game to Portugal and were always going to be open to the counter but even so, the quality is absolutely top drawer. 

The defenders for Ronnie's goal to put them 3-2 up should be shot.  They gave him half the field and a solitary outfield player.  He still had a lot to do but it's bloody Ronaldo.

So now the European qualifying section is complete, what does everyone think of the 13 European teams who will go to Brazil next summer? Are Europe sending the best 13 teams, if not, which country should have gone and instead of who. I think Sweden and Ukraine instead of Croatia and Greece, but apart from that, the best teams are going.

Looking at who missed out, I think you can only really make a case for Sweden and even then they had their chance.  I think Croatia are plenty good enough and as much as I dislike Greece you can't argue with their qualification record.  8 wins and a draw from 10 games in the groups (yet managed 12 goals scored...).

Pity we won't see Zlatan at the WC. We probably won't ever see him at the WC again :(

He thinks so too

"It was probably the last attempt to reach the World Cup with the national team for me," Zlatan Ibrahimovic said after Sweden's defeat by Portugal.

"One thing is for sure, a World Cup without me is nothing to watch so it is not worthwhile to wait for the World Cup.

Â