World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Yeah USA won their section easily, they really should be taken seriously in world cups now. They may not be amazing but certainly good enough to challenge for a quarter final place. I think Guzan should be number 1 in goal now.

Now that the qualifiers have finished the topic has morphed into Ronaldo and comparisons to other player's. Zidane is regarded as (one of) the best player's of the last 20 years. I'm just putting it out there that Ronaldo is better then Zidane ever was. His all round performance yesterday, not just his goals were just insane.

They are very different players and I don't think you can ever make a fair comparison.  Ronaldo can absolutely dominate a game in a way that not many players before him have been able too (but then that raises the question of how much he has benefited from playing in an era where forwards are afforded so much more protection than they were even ten years ago) while Zidane was just the master of the ball, his first touch, his control and even his range of passing are up there with the best the game has ever seen. In terms of pure technique I think he is miles ahead of Ronaldo but of course, there is more to winning a game of football than just having the best technical player in your team. 

But just look at that. The control is insane. :wub:

• Like 3

Brazil

France

England

USA

That is the worst group England can get based on the pots. But I guess it is all about opinions, do you consider Brazil better than Argentina. Do you consider USA better than Mexico.

I consider Japan to be better than USA.

• Like 1

I just read an article which gave:

Group of Death Spain, England, Chile, United States.

Group of Life Switzerland, England, Algeria, Honduras.

Switzerland is definitely the seeded team everyone wants, and Algeria is the African team everyone wants. But then again England played Algeria last time, and we all know what happened there.

I personally want England to play Uruguay because it is a team England haven't played in a world cup for ages and Japan for similar reasons.

How about Iran, Costa Rica, Honduras and Ivory Coast.

We've never played any of those teams ever.

I'd like to get the Aussies.

Same.

its 2 European teams per group isn't it so they'll have a strange draw, for example in brazils group they'll then draw 2 from pot 4

france might automatically be assigned, which might not be a good thing...

I don't know how they do it with pot 2 and 3 in terms of groups featuring non European top seeds, brazil will be group A, do you then draw 1 from pot 2, automatically give them France and then 1 from pot 4?

Spain as holders might automatically get a group that assuming they top the group separates them brazil until the final (which im sure they did in 2010) then 1 from pot 2, 1 from 3 and 1 from 4

might actually have to listen to the 2 hours of guff beforehand....

I hate seeding, just protects the big dogs.  that's why the FA cup has a certain magic that can't be matched.

Who wouldn't want to see a group containing Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Germany battling for two places?

Germany, Japan, Chile and England would be worst group possible

best would be Switzerland, Honduras and Nigeria as they will kill each other

Interesting England better hope they are in Group B or H they look like the ones with least amount of travelling and also in the south which has cooler climate

• Like 1

Â