World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Klinsmann's USA team got off to an inglorious start today, losing away to Honduras, 2-1. I watched the second half, we looked pretty awful. Qualifying isn't going to be the cakewalk it's been lately for USA.

Yeah away matches are tough in Concacaf and Klinsmann has struggled in them to date. At 1-1 they just sat back and tried to preserve the draw and it was pretty stupid when Eddie Johnson came off as he was one of the biggest US threats. Luckily there are still 9 more matches, but it sure wont be easy. With that said, I still expect them to finish second in qualifying just behind Mexico. 

Tbf playing away to Honduras is pretty tough.

I believe before last night the US had won every competitive match they'd ever played there. If they don't qualify it'd be shocking, they should walk it along with Mexico.

The CONCACAF section gets 3 automatic places and the 4th placed teams has a play off with New Zealand. Does anyone think this is too many? There are not that many good teams in the North American Caribbean section. What does everyone think?

Incidentally Europe will only be getting 13 places in brazil 2014.

It is about time FIFA allocated places on quality. The last 2 world cup finals have been all European. CONCACAF have only had 1 team in the quarter finals in the last 6 world cups. (USA 2002). 

Edited by Voinjama

Shame Tahiti didn't get through the final Oceania stage after winning the OFC Cup, would've loved to have seen them have a chance of making the big one.

Ah well. Will have to make do with watching them at the Confederations Cup.

It is about time FIFA allocated places on quality. The last 2 world cup finals have been all European. CONCACAF have only had 1 team in the quarter finals in the last 6 world cups. (USA 2002). 

europe only had 3 teams in last 8 though of last world cup. so didnt really dominate 

That's surprising. I'd have thought Mexico would've made the last 8 at least once since I've been watching football!

That's surprising. I'd have thought Mexico would've made the last 8 at least once since I've been watching football!

The last time they made the quarter finals was when they hosted the tournament back in 1986

Â