The Randy Lerner thread

CI

If your saying 20m a year net on transfers yes that is the amount I am advocating.

DC Jonah -

Everton have been buying well and selling well for the last decade hence why they are up there on similar spends.

Swansea came up not long ago with a very low base to when they replaced players the ones they were lumbered with on contracts had incredibly low wages in comparison to their new income

West Ham have been doing as badly as ourselves over the last few years it is only because they spent a lot more money this season on only a few players that they are suddenly up there lets not forget they have been down twice and lets see where they finish this year.

Southampton have been blessed with many academy players of VERY high quality over the last 7 years or so which has allowed them to get back into the league which then gives you the Swansea effect I mentioned above and they finished well last season sold players for loads of money and spent it on the new ones.

You have to realise we didn't have a low cost base that is just ending NOW (still got a few of those mega earners like Bent & Given on the books), that we have to look at 3 year accounts when deciding on what to spend, and fans need to accept when we make mistakes as a club we now have to pay for them as a club and not just expect an owner to bail us out as all clubs have expected in the past.

I would be looking to get a better return from the transfer market than we are currently getting.

The marketing team at Villa Park must have an horrendous task trying to sell corporate tickets/events whilst we are dishing up this immitaion football.

The marketing team could start by trying to sell tickets with some incentives, buy a ticket get one half price, buy a ticket get a shirt for £20, instead of just putting "snap up your tickets for villa v Southampton here" at the bottom of every article on the website.

Even the ads for the club shop still have our home shirt from 2 years ago on the banner.

I wouldn't take the exact same deals as you said but along those lines yea.

Isn't the greatest comparison usually wages not yearly transfer fees? I'm sure it has been stated on here before that wage expenditure usually correlates closely to league positions. So what are our wages compared to other similar clubs we should be challenging with?

Yes that is correct with wages vs position I have said it just in the last week.

Ref wages I don't know our total figure off the top of my head I do know the average player now earns 3m a year so 60k roughly and we don't have many near that.

Isn't the greatest comparison usually wages not yearly transfer fees? I'm sure it has been stated on here before that wage expenditure usually correlates closely to league positions. So what are our wages compared to other similar clubs we should be challenging with?

Well compared to other clubs our spending on wages is 24th in the league

Our spending on transfer fees this summer was 23rd. ;)

We go again.

It's unlikely though, the NFL (and US sports generally) are designed to encourage competition, to ensure that success ebbs and flows and that different teams get a chance to win over time, it's seen as good for the league as a whole and therefore the sport and good for TV and it allows Cleveland to get their days in the sun. It's pretty much the exact opposite of our game.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what Randy makes of the recent goings on.

At the back end of last season the assistant manager and another significant member of the back room staff leave but it doesn't result in any upturn in results and we stutter over the line to stay up.

Over the summer we bring in Cissoko, Sanchez, Cleverley, Cole, Senderos, Richardson and whilst relatively little is spent in fees due to two players being out of contract and one being on loan the wage bill is significantly increased as I don't imagine the partial wages being paid of the players out on loan matches anything like those of the players who have come in.

In addition this season a new high profile assistant is appointed who lasts for just 13 games of which we win 4 and lose 7 including one to league one opposition.

Just to add a little salt into the wound we have now just had our lowest league attendance in 15 years and crowds are already approximately 4k down on the average of last season. Over a season that may only amount to 2 - 3 mill in lost revenue and in the grand scheme of things may not seem significant but still enough to raise an eyebrow I guess.

I can't speak for Randy but if it was me I'd certainly be thinking that something needs to change as I have a manager who has changed coaching staff, has overseen a big turnover in players and yet zero improvement in results and performances and I have a fan base that is as disillusioned as it has been in recent memory and that are dropping like fly's in terms of attending.

The chairman it seems is going nowhere but there is one significant change he can make that may just stop this club wreaking of a club in crisis from top to bottom. I am sadly just not sure Randy has the where with all to make it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Clearly he doesn't have much of a clue about English football, emphasised by the embarrassing appointment of Alex McLeish as manager. Unfortunately for us he seems to be the model that Ellis Short is trying to follow at Sunderland: do the bare minimum to make sure that the club remains in the Premier League. It will catch up with us sooner or later and we will be relegated.

Clearly he doesn't have much of a clue about English football, emphasised by the embarrassing appointment of Alex McLeish as manager. Unfortunately for us he seems to be the model that Ellis Short is trying to follow at Sunderland: do the bare minimum to make sure that the club remains in the Premier League. It will catch up with us sooner or later and we will be relegated.

its no coincidence who both Ellis Short and Randy Lerner employed as manager ;)

If your saying 20m a year net on transfers yes that is the amount I am advocating.

DC Jonah -

Everton have been buying well and selling well for the last decade hence why they are up there on similar spends.

Swansea came up not long ago with a very low base to when they replaced players the ones they were lumbered with on contracts had incredibly low wages in comparison to their new income

West Ham have been doing as badly as ourselves over the last few years it is only because they spent a lot more money this season on only a few players that they are suddenly up there lets not forget they have been down twice and lets see where they finish this year.

Southampton have been blessed with many academy players of VERY high quality over the last 7 years or so which has allowed them to get back into the league which then gives you the Swansea effect I mentioned above and they finished well last season sold players for loads of money and spent it on the new ones.

You have to realise we didn't have a low cost base that is just ending NOW (still got a few of those mega earners like Bent & Given on the books), that we have to look at 3 year accounts when deciding on what to spend, and fans need to accept when we make mistakes as a club we now have to pay for them as a club and not just expect an owner to bail us out as all clubs have expected in the past.

I would be looking to get a better return from the transfer market than we are currently getting.The marketing team at Villa Park must have an horrendous task trying to sell corporate tickets/events whilst we are dishing up this immitaion football.
The marketing team could start by trying to sell tickets with some incentives, buy a ticket get one half price, buy a ticket get a shirt for £20, instead of just putting "snap up your tickets for villa v Southampton here" at the bottom of every article on the website.

Even the ads for the club shop still have our home shirt from 2 years ago on the banner.

I wouldn't take the exact same deals as you said but along those lines yea.

Should they drop the price.....or improve the product?

I know what good business people would say every time.

• Like 1

Â