The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Like him or not, Lerner and Lambert have had a plan and are executing that plan. We're now in a stable financial position, the wage bill is under control and we have a decent squad. Yes, there have been some **** ups along the way (contract situations with Delph/Vlaar etc..) but we are slowly and surely rebuilding from the ground up. If we can finish mid-table this year, say 10th-12th (which we are capable of) then it's an improvement and Lambert would have done his job.

• Like 1

Finding new sources of revenue is important as it boosts the clubs balance sheet and as such shows it is not a money pit but a viable business. With FFP rules you cant splash the cash to get the team to the top and consolidate. 

Renaming of the Holte is like the Doug Ellis stand. We'll all still call it Witton Lane and it'll be the same for the Holte End. But get some income from it, as long as it's not a one off renaming. It has to be annual income or have a time span on it. So as the club is in better position we can generate more revenue from the naming rights. 

• Like 1

Selling the naming rights is something I could only get behind if it's part of a plan to improve how competitive we are.

With the club being up for sale and the fact the increased TV revenue did not lead to decent funds being provided, I've no confidence this will be any different.

• Like 3

Like him or not, Lerner and Lambert have had a plan and are executing that plan. We're now in a stable financial position, the wage bill is under control and we have a decent squad. Yes, there have been some **** ups along the way (contract situations with Delph/Vlaar etc..) 

How much extra wages would the fees from these two should command had they not been allowed to run down their contracts?

Selling the naming rights is something I could only get behind if it's part of a plan to improve how competitive we are.

With the club being up for sale and the fact the increased TV revenue did not lead to decent funds being provided, I've no confidence this will be any different.

But you do understand that increasing avenues of revenue for the club increases the chance it will sell. 

Agreed CV.

Regardless of what I think about the general issue of naming rights being just another of the ills of the modern game I'd welcome it at this moment in time due to our circumstances.

Anything that helps increase commercial revenue and enable either team investment or the paying down of loans has to be a good thing.

An increase in commercial revenue and/or the paying down of debts has to improve our chances of a sale being completed and being rid of our 'custodian'.

• Like 3

Like him or not, Lerner and Lambert have had a plan and are executing that plan. We're now in a stable financial position, the wage bill is under control and we have a decent squad. Yes, there have been some **** ups along the way (contract situations with Delph/Vlaar etc..) but we are slowly and surely rebuilding from the ground up. If we can finish mid-table this year, say 10th-12th (which we are capable of) then it's an improvement and Lambert would have done his job.

I think we are supposed to be making £17m in the next accounts but that profit will be wiped out because of the way the contracts have been handled. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Short term thinking is hurting the club and that's Lerners fault hopefully Tom Fox has the nous to realise a club in our position can't afford to have £20m+ of talent leaving for free. They both should have been sold last summer if they didn't sign new deals.

Like him or not, Lerner and Lambert have had a plan and are executing that plan. We're now in a stable financial position, the wage bill is under control and we have a decent squad. Yes, there have been some **** ups along the way (contract situations with Delph/Vlaar etc..) 

How much extra wages would the fees from these two should command had they not been allowed to run down their contracts?

But we would have got that fee back when they were sold. Now they can go for free. Gotta be loosing 10 million at least between the pair of them.

The club is not up for sale any longer. Lerner is willing to listen to any offers but he is no longer activley trying to sell the club. I would expect him to be going anywhere soon

Up for sale/available for sale its semantics really.

He might not have the for sale board up but the local estate agents know to give him a call if they've an interested buyer.

All that has really changed in reality is that he is probably no longer paying people to tout the club around due to the cost and the lack of serious interest.

So in the meantime we limp along and things are done on the cheap while he tries to pay the mortgage off until he has an exit route.

• Like 1

Up for sale/available for sale its semantics really.

He might not have the for sale board up but the local estate agents know to give him a call if they've an interested buyer.

All that has really changed in reality is that he is probably no longer paying people to tout the club around due to the cost and the lack of serious interest.

So in the meantime we limp along and things are done on the cheap while he tries to pay the mortgage off until he has an exit route.

I would expect the limping to carry on for some time yet, I fully expect him to be here for at least another 2/3 years. Thats just my opinion of course. Will be interesting to see the latest accounts as you said earlier

• Like 1

I agree it could be that long.

I said back in the summer he would still be here in 2015 when there was all those ITK claims a deal was close.

Personally I think we are stuck with him until the loans are repaid or seriously reduced otherwise he won't be able to realise a value that would give him back his investment.

• Like 1

I agree it could be that long.

I said back in the summer he would still be here in 2015 when there was all those ITK claims a deal was close.

Personally I think we are stuck with him until the loans are repaid or seriously reduced otherwise he won't be able to realise a value that would give him back his investment.

How much do we owe him in terms of loans?

There are better placed people to answer that than me to be honest, Risso being the best placed, but I'd hazard a guess at around £100m depending on how profitable (or otherwise) we were in the last business year.

Could be a lot more though certainly don't think it's less.

There are better placed people to answer that than me to be honest, Risso being the best placed, but I'd hazard a guess at around £100m depending on how profitable (or otherwise) we were in the last business year.

hmmmmm.........he is defo not going anywhere quickly.

If he did decide to run the club and pay that amount of money back with the "profits" then we will definitely go down or at best it will take 20 years for him to get his money back. He just needs to accept that due to his own failings and poor decisions he has lost a lot of his daddy's money on buying a sports team in a sport he knew nothing about.

• Like 1

I don't think it would take that long with the new PL deal and Lambert keeping the club up on the cheap. Which is why Lerner gave him a new deal and why I think in the circumstances he is doing and has done a good job.

That isn't to say I'm happy with things or think he is without fault but Lambert isn't the problem Lerner is.

• Like 1

Â