The Randy Lerner thread

CI

That isn't to say I'm happy with things or think he is without fault but Lambert isn't the problem Lerner is.

I think people think I'm mad when I say this, good to hear someone else saying it...

You know FFP, is it based on the top line revenue or on profit?

If it's top line, can we not just sell loads of Man United shirts at cost price online - thus boosting our top line and hurting their bottom line?

Sounds like something Felipe would do on The Apprentice

"The loans will be part of a sale price I think" and that is why the price he wants has put potential buyers off suttonpaul.

He made cash from selling the Browns but then lost big money to Mrs L. He cannot expect to break even without selling off the family jewells or should I say the clubs?  

Is it time for Randy to have a word with our former owner to suggest he puts some of the millions he took out of the club to have the stand that has his name on it kept on it?  

Potential buyers are put off for a number of reasons.

Cost of making us competitive for the champions league

Low cost of tickets

loss making club if we pay average wages

And the big one FFP

If it's top line, can we not just sell loads of Man United shirts at cost price online - thus boosting our top line and hurting their bottom line?

Profit and loss including amortisation

That isn't to say I'm happy with things or think he is without fault but Lambert isn't the problem Lerner is.

Disagree. Far too much emphasis put on the financial constraints so that it's become smokescreen.

You could back Lambert with MON style wages and, imo, the football wouldn't be any better. Nor would his management of players and staff. So while Lerner has certainly cut back on spending, Lambert has shown that to be a good decision.

Mon finished 6th with the 6th highest in the league spending.

With respect that is par for what is spent countering your point.

We can't spend that kind of money anymore as there is new rules and we don't generate it hence the cut backs.

Lambert has brought better than mon when spending decent money.

• Like 1

I don't think it would take that long with the new PL deal and Lambert keeping the club up on the cheap.

I don't think that's sustainable though. Sooner or later the lack of funds will come back to bite Lerner and he'll be trying to sell a championship club. Next summer we'll lose Delph and Vlaar for definite and probably Benteke too. If we don't get a lot of money to replace those players then down we go.

• Like 1

I don't think it would take that long with the new PL deal and Lambert keeping the club up on the cheap.

I don't think that's sustainable though. Sooner or later the lack of funds will come back to bite Lerner and he'll be trying to sell a championship club. Next summer we'll lose Delph and Vlaar for definite and probably Benteke too. If we don't get a lot of money to replace those players then down we go.

Benteke would need replacing, however results and performances have picked up without Vlaar and Delph

It's to do with losses, company can't make loss >15 mil over a cumulative 3 seasons without owner injecting cash. Then it's capped at 105mil for premier league 45mil for UEFA. 

Players are booked as assets on a balance sheet for life of their contract with their wages rolled up into the transfer price. Their value decreases over the course of their contract which creates the losses on the balance sheet.

So Darren Bent will cost the club 8 million this year in his impact on the balance sheet. N Zogbia about half that. Etc.. 

So contrary to how fans view the transfer fees (ie we paid for bent 4 years ago so all he's costing us now is wages) is incorrect in how clubs are run. So in the summer with both those players leaving we could sign three £10mil players on £40k a week over 4 years. 

On top of that if we increase revenue (tv money, sponsorship, prize money from higher league finish) we also open up more potential for signings. The question is how much of our extra money Lerner decides to pay down loans he has given the club. 

• Like 1

When you look at the amount Everton had to spend this summer compared to us it really is quite incredible to see them hovering around where we are at the moment.

With due respect, the comparisons with Everton are a bit short-sighted. Come the business end of the season, they will be competing at a different section of the table to us.

• Like 1

When you look at the amount Everton had to spend this summer compared to us it really is quite incredible to see them hovering around where we are at the moment.

With due respect, the comparisons with Everton are a bit short-sighted. Come the business end of the season, they will be competing at a different section of the table to us.

I wasn't really comparing everything about them to us. I just meant that even though they had that kind of money to spend on one player to add to what was already a talented squad, It is quite interesting that we are around the same position as them at the moment given how we've been labelled a club in crisis by the media.

• Like 1

I wasn't really comparing everything about them to us. I just meant that even though they had that kind of money to spend on one player to add to what was already a talented squad, It is quite interesting that we are around the same position as them at the moment given how we've been labelled a club in crisis by the media.

why are they short sighted? We have played 15 games therefore only have 4 teams left to play. Also, we have already played the big boys (bar man u) so I see no reason why we shouldnt compare our performances so far!

The FFP is aload of crap in an attempt to keep the rich richer and the poor poorer, or better still, the big clubs big, and the other clubs never allowed to catch them.

funny that Mourinho said the same thing last week and was rarely picked up on at all

Â