The Randy Lerner thread

CI

To be fair, given the amount of money it would take to get us from where we are to the Champions league - that £50m fine would be a drop in the ocean.

50m every season you are over the limit.

It's madness to think that is plausible

To be fair, given the amount of money it would take to get us from where we are to the Champions league - that £50m fine would be a drop in the ocean.

50m every season you are over the limit.

It's madness to think that is plausible

It's all we got.

I might want Lambert gone, but this word removed can **** off too.

Only problem is you can hardly start the "Lerner Out!" banners, because his reply banner would be "Already up for sale mate". lol

The whole point of getting tv money is for clubs to buy the best players they can afford/attract. The fact we spent about 8million of our cut of That tv money in the summer, given the consecutive relegation battles was a disgrace that is once again proving to be a mistake.

Until the spending is increased we will continue to swim against the tide of relegation.

Edited by Jimzk5

We spent all of the TV money. Not on transfers, but on keeping the club running. We aren't making a profit, and as far as I'm aware, no one is taking money out of the club right now, and Lerner will never get to - his strategy was about building value into the club then making profit on a sale. Well, he's spent a fortune making us less valuable and is now desperately trying to find a way out that'll only cost him about £150-200m in the long run. The idea that Randy is sitting on a big pile of TV money which he's keeping for himself rather than spending is a fantasy.

He's got just about everything wrong, and everyone loses, including him.

• Like 1

We spent all of the TV money. Not on transfers, but on keeping the club running. We aren't making a profit, and as far as I'm aware, no one is taking money out of the club right now, and Lerner will never get to - his strategy was about building value into the club then making profit on a sale. Well, he's spent a fortune making us less valuable and is now desperately trying to find a way out that'll only cost him about £150-200m in the long run. The idea that Randy is sitting on a big pile of TV money which he's keeping for himself rather than spending is a fantasy.

He's got just about everything wrong, and everyone loses, including him.

Weren't we self sufficient this year? And that is before the new TV money comes in (an extra 20m?). Not that we will see that. I don't trust the chairman or manager.

We break even now spending 15 - 25m a  year on transfers depending on wage changes on either end of that scale AFTER this new TV money.

When you consider that if this owner or a new owner wanted to spend over that and lose some of their own money they would then need to look at our three year loss which isn't far from 100m so they didn't break UEFA FFP rules.

For me this is a crucial matter that fans need to take on board so they know what they should realistically demand from the club.

My plan to move forward would all be about revenue stream increases I would start will selling naming rights, putting prices up in line with the average PL cost for a ticket (you get what you pay for) and creating a style of play that is 'Aston Villa' so we can brand ourselves that way much like the Spurs way is pass and move or Barca with Tika Taka.

After that I'm out of ideas but I'm not a CEO obviously.

For me this is a crucial matter that fans need to take on board so they know what they should realistically demand from the club.

When I look at the likes of west ham, Swansea, Southampton and Everton I don't need to know the exact financial details of the club to know we should be performing better. And that links to the amount we spend on players.

We have been spending 15 to 20 million it was only this season we haven't due to players not moving to us it would be 14 with our loan player alone and you can bet that we spend in January for once because of it hence why increasing 15 or 20m a year is 35-40. We can only break even ATM because of losses if we ever want to have a go again

Hence my point that we didn't spend that this year and we can afford £15-20m a season. I think we may be arguing the same point here? I am not advocating £40m spends a season as our club cannot currently sustain that - but we need to be able to through increasing revenue streams as you have noted.

Our scouting system would seem to be the area that needs the most work....

If your saying 20m a year net on transfers yes that is the amount I am advocating.

DC Jonah -

Everton have been buying well and selling well for the last decade hence why they are up there on similar spends.

Swansea came up not long ago with a very low base to when they replaced players the ones they were lumbered with on contracts had incredibly low wages in comparison to their new income
West Ham have been doing as badly as ourselves over the last few years it is only because they spent a lot more money this season on only a few players that they are suddenly up there lets not forget they have been down twice and lets see where they finish this year.
Southampton have been blessed with many academy players of VERY high quality over the last 7 years or so which has allowed them to get back into the league which then gives you the Swansea effect I mentioned above and they finished well last season sold players for loads of money and spent it on the new ones.

You have to realise we didn't have a low cost base that is just ending NOW (still got a few of those mega earners like Bent & Given on the books), that we have to look at 3 year accounts when deciding on what to spend, and fans need to accept when we make mistakes as a club we now have to pay for them as a club and not just expect an owner to bail us out as all clubs have expected in the past.

In terms of transfer fee's ......just in rough terms he has spent 110 million net spend in 8 years

Martin O'Neill in 4 years - 82.2 mill

Houllier in 9 mths  - 4.7 mill

Mcleish in 12 months - (22.7mill)

Lambert in 3 years - 46 mill

And we have this dross every week to show for it.

not sure what more there is to say.... except Swansea have spent £21 mill net spend in 5 years?

Edited by TRO

If your saying 20m a year net on transfers yes that is the amount I am advocating.

DC Jonah -

Everton have been buying well and selling well for the last decade hence why they are up there on similar spends.

Swansea came up not long ago with a very low base to when they replaced players the ones they were lumbered with on contracts had incredibly low wages in comparison to their new income

West Ham have been doing as badly as ourselves over the last few years it is only because they spent a lot more money this season on only a few players that they are suddenly up there lets not forget they have been down twice and lets see where they finish this year.

Southampton have been blessed with many academy players of VERY high quality over the last 7 years or so which has allowed them to get back into the league which then gives you the Swansea effect I mentioned above and they finished well last season sold players for loads of money and spent it on the new ones.

You have to realise we didn't have a low cost base that is just ending NOW (still got a few of those mega earners like Bent & Given on the books), that we have to look at 3 year accounts when deciding on what to spend, and fans need to accept when we make mistakes as a club we now have to pay for them as a club and not just expect an owner to bail us out as all clubs have expected in the past.

I would be looking to get a better return from the transfer market than we are currently getting.

The marketing team at Villa Park must have an horrendous task trying to sell corporate tickets/events whilst we are dishing up this immitaion football.

Swansea are an exceptional case though, go back 10 years when they were in league 1, they took a decision to appoint a manager that would implement a philosophy for the future of the club, from Martinez through to Monk the idea has always been the same. In 4 years we've lurched from houllier to McLeish to lambert.

DC Jonah -

I would be looking to get a better return from the transfer market than we are currently getting.

The marketing team at Villa Park must have an horrendous task trying to sell corporate tickets/events whilst we are dishing up this immitaion football.

The marketing team could start by trying to sell tickets with some incentives, buy a ticket get one half price, buy a ticket get a shirt for £20, instead of just putting "snap up your tickets for villa v Southampton here" at the bottom of every article on the website.

Even the ads for the club shop still have our home shirt from 2 years ago on the banner.

Swansea are an exceptional case though, go back 10 years when they were in league 1, they took a decision to appoint a manager that would implement a philosophy for the future of the club, from Martinez through to Monk the idea has always been the same. In 4 years we've lurched from houllier to McLeish to lambert.

We have lurched from one to the other due to certain circumstances that I agree, should have been handled much better.

but what is it exactly , thats stopping is from doing it.....simple....Judgement of the Owner.

He thought he had done it with O'Neill only to find he hadn't.....and the rest has been a mess of sorts.

Â