The Randy Lerner thread

CI

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That kind of backs up my point.

He didn't want us to be relegated, but it happened as a result of what he thought was good enough.

My point is he'll WANT us to come straight back up. But I don't have any confidence in the method that he thinks is the best way to do that actually being the best way to do that :)

Yeah exactly, he will want us to win the championship and come roaring back straight away, he also wanted us to be comfortably mid table while we got the wages under control to be in a position to invest again and get up the league.

I have zero faith in his ability to actually realise what he wants to happen. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Lerners destroyed two teams in two different sports, goes to show how successful he is

The Cleveland Browns is a bit more understandable. His dad left it to him and there was a clause to say he could not sell it for so many years. He got lumbered with that but I suppose when you can sell it for $1bn despite them being shit then it's a different story.

2 hours ago, KHV said:

The Cleveland Browns is a bit more understandable. His dad left it to him and there was a clause to say he could not sell it for so many years. He got lumbered with that but I suppose when you can sell it for $1bn despite them being shit then it's a different story.

Then surely you employ someone who does want to run it to do a proper job?

Something he failed to do here also.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

I Demand this whopper of a prized plum takes a fit and proper persons test! 

I Really do think he's a black ball short of a pool game. 

Certainly Not the full carat.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

surely you employ someone who does want to run it do a proper job?

Something he failed to do here also.

That's exactly it. He's employed someone (Fox, essentially) to run it, but Fox didn't do a proper job. Fox did a really, really bad job.

Now he (Randy Lerner) has appointed Steve Hollis and Merv King to sort it out. You'd hope that eventually he'll appoint someone who is up to the task - a task which is being made more difficult by the day, really, by the actions of the Fox numpties. Maybe Hollis and King are those people.

Randy Lerner seems to be a terrible judge of people's competence, going by what happened at Cleveland American Rugby and here at Villa.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's exactly it. He's employed someone (Fox, essentially) to run it, but Fox didn't do a proper job. Fox did a really, really bad job.

Now he (Randy Lerner) has appointed Steve Hollis and Merv King to sort it out. You'd hope that eventually he'll appoint someone who is up to the task - a task which is being made more difficult by the day, really, by the actions of the Fox numpties. Maybe Hollis and King are those people.

Randy Lerner seems to be a terrible judge of people's competence, going by what happened at Cleveland American Rugby and here at Villa.

That is the whole point; if he's ignorant of how a football club is supposed to run and a terrible judge of character, how can he possibly be blamed?

The whole nebulous demand for something 'positive' assumes that everything he has done was not done with positive intent.

22 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is the whole point; if he's ignorant of how a football club is supposed to run and a terrible judge of character, how can he possibly be blamed?

The whole nebulous demand for something 'positive' assumes that everything he has done was not done with positive intent.

Huh?

He can't be blamed for being ignorant?

2 hours ago, blandy said:

hehehe... hope you enjoy lots of TSA attention on your next flight stateside as you've just been added to another watchlist!

• Like 1

I agree. FOOTBALL people to look after the football side of things, and the bean counters to look after the pissing beans. When the football people want something the bean minders say is a stretch, that's when the CEO (who guess what, knows about football AND business) makes an executive decision with the other directors, made up of football people and business people who care about the club. Not and owner who inherited dad's cash, some crazed out 4 star 'Nam general , ex arsenal glorified accountant, local bog roll or whatever salesman who probably supports baggies and a bank manager who while a fan had his hand on the tiller during the biggest meltdown since 1929. You could have a cracking sitcom out of that lot.

• Like 1

So the "5 Year Plan" has really turned out to be a 10 year lesson in how to systematically decimate a football club.

Well done, Lerner, what a great "custodian" you are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

So the "5 Year Plan" has really turned out to be a 10 year lesson in how to systematically decimate a football club.

Well done, Lerner, what a great "custodian" you are.

If he can't do it (make a success), he'll hand over to somebody who can*

*Not including hanging around and spending very little to try and bring in the huge TV money, but screwing things up so badly we will now need to cut again to save the club which will put us in even more danger of dropping down.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

It's inconceivable the series of events.....if he had of set out to destroy his own club, he could not have achieved what he has through design.

How the systematic destruction has been allowed to progress on a month by month basis over a series of years.....is quite mind blowing.

even now with the whole football world laughing.......no feasible turn around has been proposed.

I am not sure what they are waiting for.

• Like 1

At least Doug turned up to hear the discontent, and if you'd really had enough, you could speak your mind at the AGM, even if he'd ignore you.

I'm not convinced Lerner could point to Birmingham on a map.

• Like 1

I never ever thought I would say this....Randy Lerners present stance is embarrassing compared with Doug Ellis.

Doug had his faults, but this bloke?

HDE with Lerners money, may have been a whole different ball game.

Â