The Randy Lerner thread

CI

When you see Sunderland signing a reserve midfielder (in the area we need reinforcements) for 10M it makes you realise we just cant compete with this idiot owning the club

• Like 1

The club has clearly been prepped for a sale over the last x seasons, but even so, Lambert will still have spent ~50M net (assuming the 10M rumours are true).

You'll hear his biggest fans crying that he's had no money, or not enough has been spent on wages, but then we'll get beaten in the cups by League One teams and we'll finish lower in the league than newly promoted clubs.

The question is whether the owner has provided enough funds us to beat Sheffield United in the cups, and finish above teams like Palace and Hull in the league, or whether the manager is just the worse since Billy McNeil.

I guess the truth is somewhere inbetween. Randy hasn't spent enough to compete amongst the top ten, but Lambert hasn't used the money provided well enough which means he can't compete over the course of a season with managers like Pullis and Bruce.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

The club has clearly been prepped for a sale over the last x seasons, but even so, Lambert will still have spent ~50M net (assuming the 10M rumours are true).

You'll hear his biggest fans crying that he's had no money, or not enough has been spent on wages, but then we'll get beaten in the cups by League One teams and we'll finish lower in the league than newly promoted clubs.

The question is whether the owner has provided enough funds us to beat Sheffield United in the cups, and finish above teams like Palace and Hull in the league, or whether the manager is just the worse since Billy McNeil.

I guess the truth is somewhere inbetween. Randy hasn't spent enough to compete amongst the top ten, but Lambert hasn't used the money provided well enough which means he can't compete over the course of a season with managers like Pullis and Bruce.

I'm no lambert fan, I think his tactics are poor but in your comparison I wonder how much Bruce and Pullis have spent in equivalent number of premiership management seasons

Well, if that's all the club can afford then fine. I can appreciate the need for the club to be self-sustainable (though it completely sucks). But if Lerner is trying to make back the money he's lost by not making it available for transfers/wages then we're in Ellis territory.

My take on it, which has effectively been my take for the last 4 years is that he has been trying to put the club in a position for sale. I think most of the decisions since the departure of O'Neill have been with that in mind. 

I don't think he is taking money out of the club or has ever really done so (bar management fees shown in the accounts) but he has been using the last 4 years to pay down the excesses of previous years. Reducing the debts, reducing the wage bill and the percentage of the wage bill in relation to turnover.

Anyone selling or looking to sell any business will normally look to reduce costs and maximise profit in order to realise the best price and that is what I've long believed he has been doing.

Randy didn't vote for FFP and some argued that it was a signal that he would look to spend again, I always thought it was because he knew he was looking to get out and knew its introduction could impact on interest from potential buyers.

Some argue Lerner is simply trying to meet the requirements of FFP but I don't think this is what he is doing although I guess by us being compliant he might think that will aid his attempts to sell.

So in short, he is trying to make us profitable, reduce debt and sell. And in fairness there is nothing wrong with those aims but as I've argued previously its his own mistakes he is trying to correct and he is doing so too quickly and in a reckless way in my view.

I'd second all of the that Trent. I would love it if we could splash the cash but that is not where are as club. Lerner wants to sell and he is trying to put us in the best shape to achieve that whilst keeping us in the PL (a balancing act to say the least).

The general consensus amongst fans is that we want him gone but we can't have it both ways by complaining when he tries to put us in the best shape for sale. From Lerners perspective owning the club has been a financial disaster that he wants to end as quickly as possible.

The trouble for us is that because of FFP its nigh on impossible for a new owner to come in and do a 'Man City' so the all about a slow burn now and the club needs to be on the right footing. I would guess a new owner would have to do the same as Lerner.

Personally I think the chances of us being sold any time soon are zero. As I have said in a few posts we are just not that attractive a buy.

When you see Sunderland signing a reserve midfielder (in the area we need reinforcements) for 10M it makes you realise we just cant compete with this idiot owning the club

Very true and disregarding all the ITK rubbish out in cyberspace we are stuck with Lerner in the medium term.....sadly.

A little disingenuous. Man City took a loss selling a player who can barely keep himself fit. Vastly inflated transfer fee.

However, the sooner Randy leaves, the sooner the club can move forward.

Edited by The_Steve

His tweets yesterday suggested that it was someone who has run a club previously. My first thought was Cortese, although you'd think he could find a club doing better at the moment. Can't think of anybody else but I'm sure there are plenty of names.

Hopefully with the flurry of departures and an incoming CEO we are preparing the club for new owners. I doubt we could get a decent CEO if not promised a long contract with room to do things as they'd want. It'll be an interesting appointment either way!

I dunno, Randy isn't going to be around all season, and he's obviously lost interest. Makes sense to employ someone to keep an eye on things while he's doing whatever it is he does. Even if it's only for a season. 

With no new owner imminent & and the type of salary a CEo attracts - there is no reason Lerner couldn't appoint a CEO.

Personally I don't believe he will - I think the current stand in will take up the reins

What the hell have all the CEO's at the club done for the past 8 years? Makes no difference who is employed.

Dunno an enterprising CEO could make the world of difference - what we need is someone who can grow the club, land big sponsorship deals, recruit good managers. What we have had over the past few years is what i call "bean counters" - they work within the current financial constraints and have no vision how to make the club grow.

would love Graham Taylor as CEO

If it was a stab at......filthy rich owners are put off by the FFP rules or interested parties but cannot raise enough money to turn villa around.

I would suspect the latter.

I think the former is just wishful thinking.

If it was a stab at......filthy rich owners are put off by the FFP rules or interested parties but cannot raise enough money to turn villa around.

I would suspect the latter.

I think the former is just wishful thinking.

I think we would already be sold without those rules

What the hell have all the CEO's at the club done for the past 8 years? Makes no difference who is employed.

Dunno an enterprising CEO could make the world of difference - what we need is someone who can grow the club, land big sponsorship deals, recruit good managers. What we have had over the past few years is what i call "bean counters" - they work within the current financial constraints and have no vision how to make the club grow.

would love Graham Taylor as CEO

you have to be kidding? Just as we need a football man on the board we also need a proper CEO who has the vision in business to grow. Graham Taylor could do that on the football side but not the business side. Get graham Taylor and a CEO in and I'll be happy, no way just Graham Taylor as CEO, that would be foolish

Â