Paul Lambert

Pilchard

MON?

He was brilliant for us. 

And also gave us the best Villa days in recent times.

Did a brilliant job with a club of our stature, that is also a fact.

A brilliant man manager and tactician. 

Something PL aspires to be.

What was O'Neill's legacy?

What was O'Neill's legacy?

I think this is what no one quite knows, or can agree on.

A lot of toxic things and a lot of good things.

Its what happened afterwards. People can’t blame MON for selling our best players. People can’t blame MON for picking poor managers. People can’t blame MON for Faulkner being out of his depth. People can’t blame MON for dreadful tactics. 

We were in many ways in a good situation after MON left, but rather than focussing on improving things, we have been dismantled and reduced to rubble. MON can’t be blamed for Lerner’s loss of interest.

Well many of us (including myself) have been saying all along that Lambert has been working under extremely tough constraints viz. transfer policy and his squad restructuring remit.

What I'm more concerned about at this stage are Lambert's tactics and powers of motivation.

Yes mate i know you have but there have been others such as myself who have criticised Lambert's transfer policy while not being aware of the restrictions he was under. I did refer to some of 'hairyhand's' posts as 'rubbish' which they clearly weren't, but i still believe that Lambert is due criticism on trying to do too much on a limited budget rather than basing his transfer purchases on supplementing what was already at the club.

I agree with your concerns over his tactics and motivational skills which seemingly have been none existent. 

Sacking the manager wont help as its the owner that is the problem. Yes lambert has made some bad buys etc but robot cause is Lerner. You could bring Fergie in and it won't help as we are going down and what scares me is that we are not good enough for championship.

I've seen that quote about Fergie numerous times now and i have to strongly disagree.

To say that one of the greatest, if not thee greatest manager of all time couldn't improve us is utter bollocks!!

Its what happened afterwards. People can’t blame MON for selling our best players. People can’t blame MON for picking poor managers. People can’t blame MON for Faulkner being out of his depth. People can’t blame MON for dreadful tactics. 

We were in many ways in a good situation after MON left, but rather than focussing on improving things, we have been dismantled and reduced to rubble. MON can’t be blamed for Lerner’s loss of interest.

I guess the question would be did he really leave us in a good situation?

No, but he can be blamed for putting players on ridiculous contracts some of whom spent most of their time on the bench and this is something we are still paying for.

And also gave us the best Villa days in recent times.

Did a brilliant job with a club of our stature, that is also a fact.

No he did an average job. With the amount of money he spent, and building a team to have the 6th highest wage bill, and finishing 6th is average. A bad manager would finish below. A good manager would finish above. 

How is it shit? Better than the wank that's been served up since he left..

I was referring to the O'neill debate, obviously.

I've seen that quote about Fergie numerous times now and i have to strongly disagree.

To say that one of the greatest, if not thee greatest manager of all time couldn't improve us is utter bollocks!!

Agree Morpheus , good managers make an impact. See what MON did in year 1 here with some very ordinary players, from his first game (1-1 at Arsenal) he instilled organisation, work ethic and togetherness. Something Lambert appears unable to muster .
  • Like 1

People say he deserted us up shit creek without a paddle. Actually it was Lerner when he said I am sending those paddles back, and the boat. Its all men for themselves, and this Faulkner guy is in charge.

Imagine if we had appointed a half decent manager, imagine we hadn’t sold Milner and bought Ireland.

That squad in full:

Friedel, L. Young, Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Petrov, Guzan, Beye, Young, Collins, Reo-Coker, Cuellar, Hogg, Osbourne, Downing, Heskey, Gabby, Carew, Lichaj, Albrighton, Delfouenso, Delph, Clark, Davies, Sidwell

• Like 1

No, but he can be blamed for putting players on ridiculous contracts some of whom spent most of their time on the bench and this is something we are still paying for.

Er. so he bought Ireland, Given, Hutton, Bent, etc, etc. 

Players on massive wages doing very, very little.

Why do people think no one could do any better? Surely to think that you have to believe that Lambert is getting the best out of all our players, his tactics are spot on and it's all down to poor players.

Can anyone really argue that?

A new manager may well be able to motivate players better, organise players better, make better team selections and substitutions before and during games.

I think it's a ridiculous argument to suggest this is the best we could have hoped for.

great summary paul

A new manager is not going to happen.

Stability is needed. If we keep chopping and changing every year we'll just go from "transition season to transition season" as the "new" manager brings in players to suit his style. 

I defend the decision to keep Lambert. 

• Like 2

Well many of us (including myself) have been saying all along that Lambert has been working under extremely tough constraints viz. transfer policy and his squad restructuring remit.

What I'm more concerned about at this stage are Lambert's tactics and powers of motivation.

I'm with you on this.

A new manager is not going to happen.

Stability is needed. If we keep chopping and changing every year we'll just go from "transition season to transition season" as the "new" manager brings in players to suit his style. 

I defend the decision to keep Lambert. 

Stability doesn't guarantee success.

Giving any manager a long period of time doesn't mean they will do a great job.

I don't think chopping and changing helps but again that's not a good enough reason to keep Lambert.

You expect to see something from a manager that makes you believe they will succeed given time. Lambert's took a shit squad and made them even worse. Lambert followed on from an awful season and is delivering much worse.

He's living off what he did in his old job because he's looked nothing short of a failure as Aston Villa manager.