Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Its not about being happy or not being relegated, what you going to do. Football will still exist regardless of what people try and paint as the next apocalypse.

I hold out hope that internet forums are the extreme, if not then knee jerk reactions would result in a new starting 11 every week and a new manager every month!

People wanted Mcleish gone because under him we were awful and looked like going down.

We look even worse under lambert and look even more likely to go down and people would still want Lambert in charge.

Its not about being happy or not being relegated, what you going to do. Football will still exist regardless of what people try and paint as the next apocalypse.I hold out hope that internet forums are the extreme, if not then knee jerk reactions would result in a new starting 11 every week and a new manager every month!

So did you moan about fans who weren't happy with Mcleish last year?

Did you moan about fans who weren't happy with Doug?

The SHA connection was pretty much irrelevant. While it's obvious that part of the reason why Lambert is still getting supported is because he's not McLeish, that's down to the fact that McLeish was so bad last year and the football was so dire. McLeish came in having just relegated a team for the second time and with a record of shit football. That was why he was never supported, not because of the SHA connection. Lambert came in after 3 very good seasons with Norwich, hence the support he got. God knows why so many are still willing to defend him so much now though.

Edited by Mantis

Lambert has proven to build teams over a period of years, not just months and he plays more attacking football than Eck, who's philosophy was to protect 0-0 from the kick off he also has no track record of building teams from scratch.

I said at the start of the season we should stay with Lambert even if we are relegated and i stand by that, Villa needs continuity regardless of how hard it will be.

So did you moan at villa fans who wanted Mcleish out?

Your attitude seems to be fans should just deal with it as long as it follows your opinion. Pretty hypocritical.

You had your reasons for not liking Mcleish and people have their reasons for not liking lambert.

The difference is I saw no plan or vision under McLeish. He was going to turn us into another Stoke. Lambert does have a vision, but is failing miserably in his first 6months. If we manage to stay up and reshape the team then I think we will be better for it. Though, if we go down, we're ****, Risky move by Lerner. Very risky. 

Changing the manager now is not going to fix the problems. Yes Lambert is making some crazy tactical decisions, but maybe he has to try crazy things 'cos our squad is so shit?

The narrow formation he likes to play really does depend on the players between the lines, a decent DM and a decent AMC. We have neither. So he looks like a man trying to find something that works. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

People wanted Mcleish gone because under him we were awful and looked like going down.

We look even worse under lambert and look even more likely to go down and people would still want Lambert in charge.

So did you moan about fans who weren't happy with Mcleish last year?

Did you moan about fans who weren't happy with Doug?

John, everyone knew that McLeish was shit and he proved us right. End of story.

People actually wanted Lambert because he seemed a very good manager from his Norwich days. Nobody really expected this and the throwing in of the towel from Lerner. What you are now asking is for people to:

A - Admit they were wrong, even though there is still the possibility that we we will stay up and even finish higher than we did with McLeish.

B - Want the club to spend even more money - that we clearly don't have - paying compensation to Lambert and his staff so that we can replace them with, what would probably be, an out of work manager and his staff. That may even take more compensation AND may still result in us going down.

If Lerner hasn't got the money to buy players at a time where we are staring relegation in the eyes, how is he going to afford a clearout of the management team and manage to replace them with a new one?

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

So did you moan at villa fans who wanted Mcleish out?

Your attitude seems to be fans should just deal with it as long as it follows your opinion. Pretty hypocritical.

You had your reasons for not liking Mcleish and people have their reasons for not liking lambert.

In better circumstances and/or with a sensible amount of time Lambert may yet improve the team as a whole.

With Mcleish what you saw was what you got and was all you were ever going to get.

That's the difference, Lambert is currently under-achieving, Mcleish wasn't.

In better circumstances and/or with a sensible amount of time Lambert may yet improve the team as a whole.

With Mcleish what you saw was what you got and was all you were ever going to get.

That's the difference, Lambert is currently under-achieving, Mcleish wasn't.

Lambert may well go on to be great.

My point to him though was its pretty hypocritical to be happy for fans to moan at a manager he didn't like but constantly moan at fans who don't share his opinion on our current one.

John, everyone knew that McLeish was shit and he proved us right. End of story.

People actually wanted Lambert because he seemed a very good manager from his Norwich days. Nobody really expected this and the throwing in of the towel from Lerner. What you are now asking is for people to:

A - Admit they were wrong, even though there is still the possibility that we we will stay up and even finish higher than we did with McLeish.

B - Want the club to spend even more money - that we clearly don't have - paying compensation to Lambert and his staff so that we can replace them with, what would probably be, an out of work manager and his staff. That may even take more compensation AND may still result in us going down.

If Lerner hasn't got the money to buy players at a time where we are staring relegation in the eyes, how is he going to afford a clearout of the management team and manage to replace them with a new one?

I don't believe Lerner doesn't have the money.

For some strange reason he's choosing not to spend him.

The difference is I saw no plan or vision under McLeish. He was going to turn us into another Stoke. Lambert does have a vision, but is failing miserably in his first 6months. If we manage to stay up and reshape the team then I think we will be better for it. Though, if we go down, we're ****, Risky move by Lerner. Very risky. 

Changing the manager now is not going to fix the problems. Yes Lambert is making some crazy tactical decisions, but maybe he has to try crazy things 'cos our squad is so shit?

The narrow formation he likes to play really does depend on the players between the lines, a decent DM and a decent AMC. We have neither. So he looks like a man trying to find something that works. 

It's the same plan under Lambert as it was under McLeish and that is to cut cost at any expense. It's just moved into a higher gear this season.

Lambert is no visionary who can see the martix, he's just lost and clueless atm.

What he did with Norwich was impressive, and he might go on to do something in the future. But for Aston Villa at this time in history he is the wrong manager and is failing in a recordbreaking way.

As our squad is hopelessly weak (or unbalanced) and our supreme leader Lerner won't invest, relegation looks almost certain. But a new manager with at least a basic understanding of defending, organization and set pieces we just might manage to go down swinging.

And no i can't name any names as it is impossible to know what terms would be offered from the club. Maybe some of our self proclaimed ITK's could tell us...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Big_John_10

You are right, Lerner does have money but doesn't want to spend any more on us. So, maybe everyone should point the blame in only one direction? I know Lambert isn't covering himself in glory but it would be interesting to see what he could do when (IF) he is given decent enough money to buy better quality players.

• Like 1

I asked this question before, not sure it for answered. If Lambert was given 30 million could he make us into a winning team. Cause im not sure he would drop the likes of Bennett, Lowton, Westwood now???

Yes, I'm sure he would build a winning team with £30m.

Your question depends on where PL would use the funds to strengthen the team. Lowton and Westwood have adapted well and would do better with better players around them. Bennett has only shown glimpses of his potential and would surely be replaced if enough funds were available.

I really am sick of hearing this 'vision' bollocks.

The ' vision' should be to win more games than you lose.

Frankly it's just a word to hide behind when there is nothing more substantial to say.

If the vision is to build a team that cant defend, are lightweight in midfield, have difficulties scoring, and break all unwanted records then, yeah, I can see his vision.

If the vision is to build a team that cant defend, are lightweight in midfield, have difficulties scoring, and break all unwanted records then, yeah, I can see his vision.

Ahhh the Stevie Wonder vision

steve coppell built up the reading team, got the promoted to the prem and kept them up (finished 8th their first season). then he was found out and they got relegated the next year

phil brown did the same with hull, paul jewell with wigan, owen coyle with burnley/bolton. 

all looked good managing at lower leagues, got their clubs to the prem and had initial success. praised as new exciting, up and coming managers.  but ultimately they were not good enough

why is lambert different? he looks to be exactly the same- found out in his 2nd premier league season.  and as for more attacking than mcleish, dont we have a worse goals scored record in the league this year than last?

Lambert has proven to build teams over a period of years, not just months and he plays more attacking football than Eck, who's philosophy was to protect 0-0 from the kick off he also has no track record of building teams from scratch.

I said at the start of the season we should stay with Lambert even if we are relegated and i stand by that, Villa needs continuity regardless of how hard it will be.

Exactly how I feel, people have shouted me down over this all season. Whether we're relegated or not is irrelant to how I feel Lambert can rebuild us. Providing we get rid of the high earners. Even Gabby. The lad must me on 40k plus, gets away with putting in half a shift cause he's a brummy. Bannan/Bent/Ireland are rarely afforded the same luxury.