Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I do agree with people saying getting rid of Lambert would do no good. Problem is, I also can't really support him anymore either. He doesn't seem to know what he's doing at all. So basically we're **** either way. Either we stick with what to me appears like an incredibly incompetent and naive manager or we get rid of him, don't buy anyone in January and pretty much guarantee relegation.

I prefer the first option but if this carries on then we have to get rid in the summer.

When the going gets tough......

You've surprised me Mantis!

I'll stick with Lambert to sort this out

I'm as upset with yesterday's result as everybody else, but I still back the manager 100%.

I may be a fool for that, but I am tired of change - I think the next 3 games will tell us whether or not Lambert is a man capable of taking us forward.

Sounded to me that the villa fans who were actually there were fantastic. Sang their hearts out from what I could hear.

I went last night and we were singing our hearts out.

But afterwards people were calling for Lambert's head... I think its just the wrong decision.

I do agree with people saying getting rid of Lambert would do no good. Problem is, I also can't really support him anymore either. He doesn't seem to know what he's doing at all. So basically we're **** either way. Either we stick with what to me appears like an incredibly incompetent and naive manager or we get rid of him, don't buy anyone in January and pretty much guarantee relegation.

I prefer the first option but if this carries on then we have to get rid in the summer.

I agree mantis, But then it is fair to say you could consider the fact that lambert is a pro at championship/league one level. At a big-ish club like ourselves with a proven manager at that level, we'd only need a bit of experience to come back up.

I'd rather go down fighting kicking and screaming. Lambert will relegate us with a whimper

When the going gets tough......

You've surprised me Mantis!

I'll stick with Lambert to sort this out

It's nothing to do with the going being tough. It's been tough all season and I still backed Lambert even after the embarrassing Christmas results. However, my patience is wearing thin and I just don't think he's up to the job. Tactically I think he's very naive and he doesn't seem good at motivating either.

As I said though, I wouldn't sack him at the moment because it would do more harm than good but he's lost my support for the time being. I won't be singing his name anymore. I'm just tired of seeing us constantly humiliated.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no doubt that Lambert hasn't been helped by the funds he appears to have been given in terms of fees and wages. He never brought in anywhere near enough quality over the summer but for a 17 mill net spend and the amount of players needed and having to balance the wage bill he was never going to be able to.

However that said he has made some glaring errors in the players he has signed. He knew in August that Dunne was out for 3 months but still sold Collins and only brought in Vlaar who had previously had some lengthy injury lay offs. Instead of signing another centre back with some experience he chose to sign a left back in Bennett who looks at best on a par with Lichaj or Stevens. He is that bad we have posters wanting the much criticized Warnock to return.

Pre season it was also obvious that we needed a little midfield muscle - a defensive midfielder that could put himself about a bit and offer some protection to the centre backs. He failed to sign one and instead his midfield options were KEA and Westwood both a million miles away from the kind of midfielder we needed.

I am also unsure if it is solely due to funds why Lambert has failed to sign a lack of experienced, proven quality or whether that is just his way. Whilst I have no problem with signing potential it needs to be allowed to develop alongside players with more experience.

Of his signings KEA and Bennett currently just look like very poor signings, Lowton and Westwood look like they have something about them but Lowton possibly due to the ever increasing pressure we are under and who he is playing with at the back has looked very poor recently. Benteke is hit and miss which is totally expected due to his age but looks an excellent signing. Vlaar has looked OK. Bowery simply wasn't really needed.

Going forward Lambert/Lerner and Faulkner need to pull their fingers out. I am amazed given the urgency of our current situation that players have not yet been brought in during this window. We are crying out for a centre back and a defensive midfielder with experience and who are proven operators at this level.

• Like 1

Changing the manager is absolutely not the right thing to do. The last thing we need, or can afford, is more upheaval . So much inconsistency has been part of the problem, to add to that now would be, IMO, disastrous

Actually being CONSISTENTLY bad lately as a manager IS the main problem. Sadly if PL cannot add some decent players in January, I think it is academic whether he is manager or not.

I am all for backing a manager who shows us glimpses of great things to come but I just cannot see it happening.

All that said , the main culprit for our current mess is Lerner but Lambert took the job and may have promised more than he can deliver.

• Like 2

I agree mantis, But then it is fair to say you could consider the fact that lambert is a pro at championship/league one level. At a big-ish club like ourselves with a proven manager at that level, we'd only need a bit of experience to come back up.

Pretty sure we won't sack him. (i have a hunch he may walk) - without some experienced pro's we are pretty much doomed. I really fear for us saturday - our defence is almost non existent.

I keep refreshing newsnow - hoping for an incoming CB - but I am loosing hope even for that.

Actually being CONSISTENTLY bad lately as a manager IS the main problem. Sadly if PL cannot add some decent players in January, I think it is academic whether he is manager or not.

I am all for backing a manager who shows us glimpses of great things to come but I just cannot see it happening.

All that said , the main culprit for our current mess is Lerner but Lambert took the job and may have promised more than he can deliver.

Agree with this, unfortunately.

Unless Lambert can sign some quality players, we're pretty much doomed to the Championship with or without him.

We could have Jose Mourinho in charge, but even he isnt going to make Bannan, Clark and co into Premier league quality footballers.

This is where I am as well.

It would appear Lambert has been shown up to be just another promising young manager who couldn't make the next step.

At the same time there's not exactly a queue of talanted managers beating down our door to take over so we may as well stick with it. It is going to take some big money from the owner if we are to stay up though. Without big investment we are going down, the second half of the season is currently shaping up to be worse than the first.

It would appear Lambert has been shown up to be just another promising young manager who couldn't make the next step.

He has done well at previous clubs. Moving to Villa from Norwich is hardly making the next step. Lambert will go on to be a top manager - i hope it is with us

I'm sure he would admit to making a few mistakes but given the shitstorm he took over it's hardly surprising

He needs time, money and support - 18-24 months

We won't sack Lambert. Absolutely no chance. I can't say whether or not he will walk.

One thing is for sure though. The problems at this football club run way deeper than the manager. Three permanent managers on the spin now under which we have gotten worse.

Given how close we were to relegation last season, the lack of funds spent over the summer, the continuing cutting back on wages really should any of us be surprised we are now staring relegation in the face?

For 4 games on the spin before the transfer window opened we were battered ( don't let the result against Swansea fool you we should have been 4 down inside 25 mins ). The need for reinforcements couldn't have been more urgent. Yet still we wait and have just had to endure being humiliated by a club from the 4th tier.

Whilst Lambert has plenty to answer for Randy Lerner should be hanging his head in shame.

• Like 1

What makes people think Lambert will go on to be a top manager? Everyone makes mistakes and not everything will be great from the off but he makes so many amateurish mistakes and really doesn't look like he knows what he's doing.

Whilst Lambert has plenty to answer for Randy Lerner should be hanging his head in shame.

What, for hiring the manager most wanted and backing him with a fair amount?

Randy is far from blameless but the buck stops with the manager.

Edited by Mantis

What makes people think Lambert will go on to be a top manager? Everyone makes mistakes and not everything will be great from the off but he makes so many amateurish mistakes and really doesn't look like he knows what he's doing.

Mantis - I think someone may have hacked your profile

Moving to Villa from Norwich is hardly making the next step.

good point, in terms of where both clubs finished last season and the state of the two squads at the time he came to Villa, coming to Villa was really a step across or even down you could argue (plenty of Norwich fans thought that). I know we are a bigger club than Norwich in history, fan base etc but the state of things as they stood when PL switched Norwich really were the club in a stronger position. I think Lambert saw/sees Villa as a step across/down but with the potential to rise where as Norwich had hit their ceiling.