Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Think today lambert had tactics absolutely spot on and Chelsea weren't in the game. However, following the sending off he failed to react to the game by making a change. Can't understand why no subs were made

Maybe could have sent Bent on after we were down but I imagine there's not a lot of game planning for 10v10 situations.

Actually there is.. I've done level one and two coaching badges and a hell of a lot of drills focus on how you would react to having a player sent off, or someone go off injured etc. Therefore you are prep'd on it, it would make little difference whether both down to ten or just your team

I was lamberts biggest fan when he arrived - and whilst that last thing we need is another change - right now we need stability. Gotta say I have misgivings as to wether Lambert can build us into even a solid top half team.

We just don't have a clue how to kill a game - to not even collect a point after being 1-0 up with 30 to play is very poor - and thats not the only time this season. Lambert has to improve massively in this area for me.

I really don't see a brave new world - until we get meaner at the back. I want us to stay up - but for me its another season of struggle next season 

• Like 1

Its a strange one for me at the moment.

Love the way we've been playing recently, love the performances his signings have been putting in and love what potentially we could start to do.

But on the flipside we still may go down and i'd have to put a large portion of the blame on him.

Just hope we can stay up so we can see what this new team will continue to look like.

We need to strengthen in defence, and I'd like to shift a few in midfield and buy a couple of new midfielders too.

However, if he doesn't sort the defence out for next season and we're in another relegation battle, I think he will lose a lot of support and quite rightly.

• Like 1

As long as we're not doing things like starting Clark and Vlaar together or starting Lowton at CB or going 5 in the back, we should be okay next season

Agree about Clark. But overall whoever the defenders are need to be better drilled on the training ground. I worry if Lambo is the man to provide a tight(ish) defence...........the signs don't look good.

I thought he might have done a little speech after the game, as the support he has had from the Villa fans has been great if you take into account how crap we have been for most of the year.

How do you think Paul will watch the Arsenal game? Glass of red? Tea?  With his friend Johnnie Walker? Tennents?

I was lamberts biggest fan when he arrived - and whilst that last thing we need is another change - right now we need stability. Gotta say I have misgivings as to wether Lambert can build us into even a solid top half team.

We just don't have a clue how to kill a game - to not even collect a point after being 1-0 up with 30 to play is very poor - and thats not the only time this season. Lambert has to improve massively in this area for me.

I really don't see a brave new world - until we get meaner at the back. I want us to stay up - but for me its another season of struggle next season 

Forget the context why don't you.

Champions of Europe? Top 4 side with players worth 40 million? We had a man sent off too?

Champions of Europe? Top 4 side with players worth 40 million? We had a man sent off too?

What about all the other points lost from winning positions?

As long as we're not doing things like starting Clark and Vlaar together or starting Lowton at CB or going 5 in the back, we should be okay next season

Agree about Clark. But overall whoever the defenders are need to be better drilled on the training ground. I worry if Lambo is the man to provide a tight(ish) defence...........the signs don't look good.

I'm with Kwan. Nail on the head for me. It's been massively down to personnel. 

That doesn't count for everything, but coupling it with an attacking mindset, and for our wonky part of the season---an inexperienced team---there is no reason to think a) he won't strengthen and b.) we won't be better defensively anyway from experience. Just see how we've improved since Sylla came. If we carried that form on next season, improvement done. 

Edited by praisedmambo

We've improved though, haven't we. So we're better now than when we did that? Yes? Good. 

Our first 5 defenders and keeper all season cost about a combined 7 million. That would have bought david luis right leg. Yes they are young, so inexperienced and need time. They make mistakes because they are inexperienced. U have to accept this when you are buying/playing them

Lambert's way of playing took a long time to be effective but it has certainly been effective in recent months.

Next season should be good if he can be given players that have the quality to play his way in a very very tough premier league next year.

I think Lambert is the right man but it all depends in wgat direction Lerner wants to go from this summer.

i don't think Lambert has one way of playing to be honest, he's hit on the current system which works really well with the players we have in form at the moment. i doubt it's set in stone and NOT being one dimensional tactically coudl be a big asset if we go down too!

I've been a keen supporter of him so biased but Lambert deserves great credit.

Turned it round after a dreadful dreadful first half if the season. I think and truly believe he has learnt from his mistakes, and given the support I have high hopes he can turn us into a good side next year.

UTV! Lambert's Lions!

Villa are safe, well done Lambert. Many of us seemed to agree in the dark days of winter that keeping this squad up would be a remarkable achievement. I know he's made mistakes along the way, but its been a better team to watch than under McCleish no doubt and on top of that I can be proud of us as a collective that we never rounded on the team (like Blackburn under Kean) but pulled together and supported the club we love. 

UTV

• Like 1