Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Well fair play to Lambert. I would have said pretty much every decision he made today was wrong, but we came out with a win. This is one of those rare occasions where I don't know best.  :P

I was hugely sceptical of his starting 11 today, but in all fairness we played well and got a result. 

We are being praised for sticking with him while other clubs are in a panic getting rid of theirs.

• Like 1

Great manager hope he stays with us for many years to come , long enough to finish the job he has started. So pleased for him today

I share the sentiment, but he’s not really a “great” manager. He’s just a promising manager, with a good background and a lot of strong points. But I think he’s also got a few areas where he’s not yet a complete manager. Obviously experience of managing at the top level being one. Winning trophies being another. He’s also (for me) not someone who has changed games for the better, regularly, by his substitutions or tactical changes.

That’s not knocking him, and I very much would like him to stay, same as you. I think basically I’m just saying he has the potential to one day be a great manager. Martin O’Neill once did, too (to pick a topical example) - but he never quite became one.

I’d love to know, as an aside, how the decisions were made, to change the squad so dramatically, to go totally with the youth. Was it all Lambo, or was it a joint thing, with the board. My instinct is that it was almost entirely largely Lambert’s decision, but one that was willingly accepted by the board.

• Like 1

Well if we stay up I think the experience these kids will have gained will be excellent. Seems a bit of a gamble to me but one that might have a big pay off. If we stay up and add a bit of quality in the summer, and hang on to our best players we could be looking good. 

• Like 1

I thought the line up was wrong, I thought guzan was never a number 1,stoke would hammer us and benteke would be a flop. Ive now decided to get my head around the rules of rugby because I clearly know nothing about football.

Well done paul, well done boys. Great 3 points.

Great manager hope he stays with us for many years to come , long enough to finish the job he has started. So pleased for him today

I share the sentiment, but he’s not really a “great” manager. He’s just a promising manager, with a good background and a lot of strong points. But I think he’s also got a few areas where he’s not yet a complete manager. Obviously experience of managing at the top level being one. Winning trophies being another. He’s also (for me) not someone who has changed games for the better, regularly, by his substitutions or tactical changes.

That’s not knocking him, and I very much would like him to stay, same as you. I think basically I’m just saying he has the potential to one day be a great manager. Martin O’Neill once did, too (to pick a topical example) - but he never quite became one.

I’d love to know, as an aside, how the decisions were made, to change the squad so dramatically, to go totally with the youth. Was it all Lambo, or was it a joint thing, with the board. My instinct is that it was almost entirely largely Lambert’s decision, but one that was willingly accepted by the board.

Interesting point.

I would say it was what the board wanted to hear, and Lambert saying it got him the Job. If he said " I need £40m to bring in some top notch players" - I don't think he would be our manager today.

Any decent side is a balance of youth and experience. We have clearly over egged the youth bit this season, If we stay up and Lambo purchases another load of £1.5m div 'young and hungry's'  - I will be seriously pissed off.

He's brought the age, cost , (and attitude) of the squad into line - Its time for the board to say 'the blokes done what we asked - lets loosen the purse strings'

Have to give Lambert credit, it's starting to come together. I do wonder how he picks the team/squad because there's often a surprise and often a player who goes from starting several games to being left out the squad (Bannan today), is it based on effort in training? Nevertheless, after 3 wins out of 4 I'm more inclined to believe Lambert knows what he's doing more so than I've been at any point this season. 

Play 4-2-4 away at Stoke and come away with a 2 goal win.

:crylaugh:

Yeah ,when I saw the line up I was like "wait what? One too may forwards?" I am still not sure what our exact formation was. I will watch the replay and try and figure it out.

I like Lambert and always have. He was my number one choice to replace McLeish and I have believed since day one that with decent backing he can do very well with us.

He has shown with the signings he has made that he has an eye for a player. In Westwood and Lowton he seems to have unearthed a couple of gems, Bennett has potential, Sylla looks decent and given where Bowery came from and his age he has in his limited appearance held his own.  Vlaar and Benteke although more established players than the others have adjusted quickly to a different country and a much tougher league than they came from.

Lambert has undoubtedly dropped a number of bollocks since he joined most notably going to 5 at the back and persisting with it after it quickly became apparent it wasn't working. However he is a young manager still learning so you'd expect him to make mistakes it is learning lessons from them that is important.

I heard an interview with him after the game today and he said we will be much stronger next season after the tough experience gained in this one. I think he is spot on. There are the foundations of a good side being laid, with good strong characters being molded, and with 3 or 4 good additions in the summer I can see us going places under Lambert.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2