Paul Lambert

Pilchard

So, is Lambert going ?

I have had it up to here with scottish managers.Mc Stupid took us down the table and Lame-bert is carrying on where Mc Stupid left oss.

Are you placing your hand near your head? Or near your ankle? I can't see how much you've had "it" up to. 

This club's first Scottish manager won more honours for the club than every other manager combined.

That's true, but we've had some woeful Scottish managers in the last few decades. Our last three Scottish managers have all been dreadful (McNeill, McLeish & Lambert). Funnily enough, our best four managers since McNeill have all been English (Taylor, Atkinson, Little & Gregory).

I'm not advocating we hire someone based on their nationality by the way, just thought it was interesting.

Edited by Mantis

What a load of toss

Put it another way then.

We finished 6th for 3 seasons in a row a few years back.Now, I bet every single person on this forum would be over the moon if we finished 17th

The original point still stands. What happened before is irrelivant to what's happening now. 

Edited by PieFacE

What a load of toss

Put it another way then.

We finished 6th for 3 seasons in a row a few years back.Now, I bet every single person on this forum would be over the moon if we finished 17th

We Finished champions of Europe 31 years ago and I would much prefer we went back to those days, but tha is the past.

I was born when Villa were the champions of the 3rd Division.  At 5 we were back in Div 1 and winning the league Cup.  At 10 Champions of Europe.  At 15 Relegated to Div 2.  At 20 we were finishing 6th I think under Big Ron.  at 25 5th under Brian Little.  At 30 weeping at the demise of GT MK II.  At 35 in the middle of the failed push to the top of ONeil.  At 40 I survived Mcliesh and welcomed Lambert.

Supporting Villa is a Roller Coaster ride.  There are ups and downs but you hold on because in the end you enjoy and love the ride.

As for finishing 6th three times in a row.  Big Deal.  Shows no improvement.

We have to look to the future not the past.  We need to find a new way to force Villa back to the top, just as the Journey started in 1972.  It Took Ten years from becoming 3rd Div Champs to Champs of Europe.  They did this despite Ellis being involved :)

The radical thinking that took place then needs to take place now.  The way has yet to be found but we must take gambles along the way that will hurt.  I believe the gamble Lambert has taken with the youth is one of them.  If it doesnt work so be it.  The club will not die it will have to look for another way BUT at least the club is trying something different.

• Like 2

The game has changed a lot since then.In those days it was the best team that won, now its the richest team that wins.It is no coinsidence that the top 3 clubs are also the richest.

What I am trying to say is that we cant afford to buy the best there is and if our players get really good at what they do then they will move on for bigger $$.Signing young inexperienced players maybe looking to the future BUT should'ent we be concentrating on the present is secure before looking to the future ? 

The Villa team that won the league had no regular internationals so we didnt have the top dollar team at the time.

It just takes a team to take the balls not to sell off their best players straight away.  Something Villa did try with Barry when liverplop came sniffing.  That time Villa didnt pick up the chalange and show Barry they were pushing on.

The thing that has changed is not so much the money but the power given to the players to move easily and run down contracts.

But perhaps if something can be built that the players, fans and management can buy into and go with then anything is possible. 

Spurs is best example.  They make it very hard for teams coming in to poach their top players.  If their players do get sold on they get good money to reinvest into the team and make it stronger.  Wasnt too long ago that Spurs were struggling the same as we are now.

Fergie best work at Man U has been building the team ethos and mindset we are all in this together.  For past 5 odd years they are written off yet are always in or abouts the league title.  This season the 'experts' said he had bought the wrong player in Van Persie, yet look at where they are now.  Once there not may of the fringe players complain or try and leave.

The Villa team that won the league had no regular internationals so we didnt have the top dollar team at the time.

It just takes a team to take the balls not to sell off their best players straight away.  Something Villa did try with Barry when liverplop came sniffing.  That time Villa didnt pick up the chalange and show Barry they were pushing on.

The thing that has changed is not so much the money but the power given to the players to move easily and run down contracts.

But perhaps if something can be built that the players, fans and management can buy into and go with then anything is possible. 

Spurs is best example.  They make it very hard for teams coming in to poach their top players.  If their players do get sold on they get good money to reinvest into the team and make it stronger.  Wasnt too long ago that Spurs were struggling the same as we are now.

Fergie best work at Man U has been building the team ethos and mindset we are all in this together.  For past 5 odd years they are written off yet are always in or abouts the league title.  This season the 'experts' said he had bought the wrong player in Van Persie, yet look at where they are now.  Once there not may of the fringe players complain or try and leave.

The experts said what? I haven't read many articles about that to be honest, the ones I have read said "this is the difference between United being nr. 1 and 2" etc. The best player in the league signed by the best club in the league, not much wrong there.

Theya

The experts said what? I haven't read many articles about that to be honest, the ones I have read said "this is the difference between United being nr. 1 and 2" etc. The best player in the league signed by the best club in the league, not much wrong there.

They are saying now that VP is the difference, but before the season started they said Fergie had bought the wrong player as there was not much wrong with the Front Line and he should have been buying a mdifielder instead.  Especially with Giggs and Scholes being soo old (yet younger than me!)

I probably head these view on various podcasts that include Football Weekly, The Game and Football Ramble.

The club will not die it will have to look for another way BUT at least the club is trying something different.

Are we trying a different approach to build success or are we just keeping costs down with the aim of just surviving?

I'm not sure there's really a clear picture of what we are about as a club right now.

The club will not die it will have to look for another way BUT at least the club is trying something different.

Are we trying a different approach to build success or are we just keeping costs down with the aim of just surviving?

I'm not sure there's really a clear picture of what we are about as a club right now.

Whether there is a clear picture or not - it's not being communicated well enough.

I suspect we are surviving and hoping for financial rules to kick in while we shift off those on high wages - but that's just a guess. Some proper info from the club would be nice.

I was brought up on Villa in the late 70's & Early 80's... Ever since i was spoiled rotten by witnessing the greatest ever achievement in the clubs history i have been waiting to see us get close to a good team again.... We have never done it in my opinion. I do like comparing our present sides to the European Champions of 82' but player for player we never really get close. As for the MON side...erm Nope!.. Nowhere near in my opinion!

The current side has lots of potential to me though. They just lack Arial ability at the back, experience and grit in midfield, pace on the wings & the full backs are weak. LB's are weak defensively & Rb is weak attacking wise+ lacks decent cover. The CB's are poor in the air in my opinion & lightweight although Vlaar is huge of course. Also the CB's pose little to no threat in an attacking sense. All good sides get 4 or 5 goals from the CB's per season.

I do like Weimann, he reminds me of Gary Shaw.

Benteke reminds me of Peter Withe just with less nous but that will come.. Best we have had since Withe in my opinion.

Should break the bank to try to keep him.

Westwood reminds me of a young & very inexperienced Dennis Mortimer & he needs to add goals to his game.

Vlaar is ok

Baker i like a lot.. reminds me of a young Martin Laursen but his inexperience does cost occasionally.. that again will improve

though. Again he needs to become an attacking threat too.

Clark? Well can't quite see it with him. Seems too weak for CB & i see him more as a Midfielder.. He's decent but just where do you fit him?

Bannan?.. No

Guzan? Not bad.. seen better though.

Lowton? Awful in an attacking sense & otherwise average but should improve.

LB's? No

Nzogbia? Lacks pace

Gabby? Lost his edge

Albrighton? Too slow & very inconsistent.

Thats my opinion of the current lot.

I can understand that we needed to cut our spending BUT we are cutting too drasticlly.Ok so we can't afford to be a top 6 club and qualify for europe but we are not spending enough to be a mid table club either.Our level of spending and the players we are buying is that of a championship club ( not one at the top end either ) so, with that level of spending we can not hope to stay in the Premier League.Simple question, how can we stay in the Premier League with players that are not up to Premier League skill ?

The Premier League has a reputation for bieng the most skillful league in europe and the hardest league in europe,it is the league that most players want to play in.......so what are we trying to do ???,answer......fill it with players from lower leagues.FFS.The rest of the teams in the Premier League will be glad to see us go down as we are lowering the skill and reputation of the Premier League.

In my 40 odd years of watching Villa I have never had the misfortune to see such an inept manager as Lambert. He has no clue whatsoever how to close games out, his teams always look confused when he tries to change anything.

One of the worst things that has happened to this club in many a year

• Like 1

Tactically wrong again

How many points has he cost us this season with his naive substitutions

The last person i would have bought on when were trying to hold onto a draw at the emirates would have been a winger we needed more meat in the middle

What was the point in signing Sylla when he's not going to play him all the players have been mouthing off about how well he has been impressing in training

• Like 1