Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I looked back at my first post about Lambert. I saw this CI and then checked to see if you'd changed your pov. Not because I want to make you look foolish or anything, but just to see if this whole sorry saga had got to you as much as it seems to have got to most fans. Just shows how bad things have gone lately when a fan who says he will stick by Lambert no matter what, suddenly proclaims that he now has to go!

I've spent enough time around the forum to know that you've got to take everything CI says with a pinch of salt, but in this case, I think the change in attitude is understandable. At the beginning of the season, everyone knew Lambert and the team had their work cut out for them, and I think everyone knew relegation was a possibility. But I think it's natural for us to have assumed the fight against relegation would somehow be valiant -- that we'd be able to get behind a team and manager fighting tooth and nail to beat the drop. But the truth is, none of us have seen a whole lot of that, have we? In reality, our slide into (possible) relegation has more closely resembled free fall and capitulation than a valiant fight to the end. It's not been the Charge of the Light Brigade, it's been Keystone Kops. That appearance, coupled with the empty monotony of "we go again" after every hiding is demoralizing as a supporter. Changing attitudes toward Paul Lambert and the team from the support may have more to do with that appearance than our place in the table.

Edited by JamieZ

You don't go this low unless there is a serious problem behind the scenes.

Liverppol away, norwich away, Man city away.postive results....that ain't confidence.

you cannot go from winning those games to such a massive low in such a short space of time. The shift is simply horrendous.

something is drastically wrong and whatever it is, it ain't changing any time yet.

I just don't get how he's so ineffective both in training and in the dressing room. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but when he was hired, I thought "at least this guy will get us organized and fighting", as those are things guys coming from less moneyed clubs have to be able to do. Somehow, though, he's got us delivering the same limp-dicked garbage on and off the pitch almost every week. It's flabbergasting, as his Norwich players on average weren't better than what he has here. Can he just not get our players on his side?

I don't want to go down, I really really don't. But right now we're an embarrassment, the laughing stock of English football. If we have to step back from the limelight for a while to come back hopefully stronger and more "prepared", then so be it.

I know for some of you it's hard to understand. I know that history ultimately counts for **** all, but we're Aston Villa. We founded this whole **** shebang. Your United's, your Barca's, your Baggies and your Boca's, we made it possible for them to shine. For them to support them in doing so. To see us suffer in this way is tantamount to sacrilege...

We've been here before and we'll be there again and we will rise above it...

Up The Villa.

I'm sorry but that kind of attitude is why people laugh at us and it's also why people laughed so hard when Newcastle went down - giving it the 'Big I Am' serves no purpose whatsoever; it makes falls from grace harder and puts stressed players under even more pressure.

• Like 1

What attitude is that?

No need to be sorry. So you don't agree that we should fight to be a big club, to dine from the top table? Well I think you're wrong. You're also wrong to assume I'm not humble enough and learned enough to accept failure.

That I am ambitious and confident enough to know we will rise above it is what separates us from your Nottingham Forests and even your Leeds. Perhaps that is the mentality this club needs. "Prepared" rather than "accepting"...

I'm not afraid to hold my hands up and say that out of the managers that were realistically obtainable for us I wanted Lambert. What he achieved at Norwich was remarkable and after suffering through a season of McLeish I thought Lambert would be able to come here and turn us into a comfortable mid table side again, then in a couple of years be pushing on to try and regain a place in the top 6-8. 

I am also not afraid to admit that I was wrong, BIG TIME!!! I honestly didn't think that things could get any worse than last season and I am absolutely disgusted that they have! He won't turn this mess around now. The damage is done and it's beyond repair. I hate to see us chopping and changing manager as much as we have the last few years but it needs to be done again! The thing is, it's too late! If we sack Lambert now, the squad isn't good enough regardless of who is in charge. A new manager may be able to sort the defence out a bit but we still have no midfield!

"We bossed it really, with the possession.

...I thought we dominated the game..."

Did we?

It didn't sound that way on the radio and the stats don't really support that. What did those at the game think?

Edited by snowychap

"We bossed it really, with the possession.

...I thought we dominated the game..."

Did we?

It didn't sound that way on the radio and the stats don't really support that. What did those at the game think?

Didn't go myself, but my dad said we created nothing at all in the 2nd half and very little in the 1st and that the better team won.

I love this club I love it's fans, I have followed this great club for over 25 years of my life, and to watch every bad record get broken, every new depth possible stooped to is making it impossible to week in week out to want to expose myself to the ritual embarrassment and humiliation that randy and lambert have somehow engineered.

No money to strengthen, no learning from our mistakes on or off the pitch, no future in the premiership.

The fact we can't defend crosses or set pieces or score from set pieces lies with the manager, he has had time and money to strengthen the team and sort out our tactics, all he has done is made us weaker. Yes it is not just his fault but until he walks away or is sacked we are just accepting relegation as inevitable.

And for those who think its easy to get back up, It isn't, after all we can't even beat Millwall or Bradford so even if we go down we will have the same problems, our defence won't magically improve, you still have to defend corners in the **** championship!

I agree with the Norwich fan above, we need stability, but in regards to his PR stuff Lambert is starting to be a bit of a prick and it needs to stop. This week alone he wasn't going to do his pre-match presser before Millwall, then verbal handbags with a radio host and snubbing Kendrick who is one of our only links between us and the club nowadays.

If we are to go down we need to hope that we aren't made to sell off the players we need to keep (not just the ones that Lambert has brought in, but Weimann etc), and only those that we've been trying to cut. Darren Bent won't want to stay with us in the Championship as it will ruin his England chances for the Euro's which could be his last chance at a major tournament, Warnock's contract will be ran down and Hutton will hopefully piss off to Spain.

I thought no one was bothered about last night's game? I certainly didn't. In fact I wanted to go out. So why the overreaction?

Some of you should be embarrassed at the stuff you're posting. You certainly will be at the end of the season when Lambert keeps us up against all odds.

• Like 1

Sack the manager, far too simplistic I'm afraid. What then? Who will we attract then? What will he have to work with? Even less money from a shit owner because he has just forked out a huge wedge to replace yet another managerial team.

Players that he can't get rid of or afford to change. Change the manager, no investment and I tell you now right here, we will go down again next year. Ad then you can all bang on about changing the next manager, about hanging out your next pariah.

I thought no one was bothered about last night's game? I certainly didn't. In fact I wanted to go out. So why the overreaction?

Some of you should be embarrassed at the stuff you're posting. You certainly will be at the end of the season when Lambert keeps us up against all odds.

You WANTED us to lose? Crazy...... yes we could have done without that game but what reaction will this cause for the NUFC game? Players even more disheartened, the fans even more angry and pissed off, the manager even more clueless and the press smelling blood...... a win would have been a lot more useful

• Like 1

I would not be embarrassed at all. Why would I be? I am embarrassed when I see so many things going on at VP that drag the name of the club into the gutter, a lot of which are Lambert's fault.  If (god forbid) he is not sacked and then he keeps us up, that is no way any sort of justification that he is a good manager, we have seen far too many negatives from him and his impact to allow that to happen. Last night, like all Villa games are important especially at the moment. Because of many things, not least the god awful performance of Lambert we find ourselves at a crisis point as a club, I find that embarrassing. Fans being unhappy, venting their frustrations is fine and part of the sport. Blind faith I suppose is also part of the game, and those claiming that things would be great etc are showing that in abundance.

and still all we here from certain quarters is who will we appoint, there is no one out there, it's all Randy's fault etc etc. A lot of that is to try and save face I suspect and not admit that people were wrong re Lambert. The issues are a mix of things there is no debate over that really. Ridding this club of the incompetent Lambert now is the first step on the road to recovery/ Yes it has to be followed by changes in the attitudes and / or personnel at the top of the club also but the two are not mutually exclusive

When people start to realise that and accept that the job being done by Lambert shows what a piss poor manager he is, then things can and will start to get better

• Like 1