Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lambert cannot win can he? Play like Barcelona and lose he would have been shafted for not winning, as the points are what is important. Win and gets shafted for performance being shit when in actual fact it wasn't bad all things considered. 3 points and a clean sheet with what was a very very young defence and in a tense nervous atmosphere which was not conducive to free flowing football. More of them please

Too true.

They battled well and grinded out an edgey encounter.

Thought he got the tactics spot on tonight, with what he had. Its a pity Bannan had such a stinker, he is the lynchpin of this team and when he plays badly, the whole team suffers. Some of his passing was retarded. But on a good day, he's the kind of player to build a team around - not Darren **** Bent! We needed the 3 points, and he delivered. Onwards to QPR, I'd take a point there to be honest.

I must have watched a different game, thought we played some attractive stuff and Benteke was a joy to watch.

I really can't see what some thought was so bad - I have seen many many more games worse than that.

Ah well. Certainly cant be arsed to debate it, but I enjoyed it - happy to be in a minority of one !

Lambert cannot win can he? Play like Barcelona and lose he would have been shafted for not winning, as the points are what is important. Win and gets shafted for performance being shit when in actual fact it wasn't bad all things considered. 3 points and a clean sheet with what was a very very young defence and in a tense nervous atmosphere which was not conducive to free flowing football. More of them please

The 3 points was the all important thing tonight....but don't be too quick to dismiss the notion that performances are important too.

Results are paramount, no doubt about that, but performances are a barometer of where you are going as a team.Quality and commitment is what cements those results and makes them sustainable and credible, as opposed to flukes.

We cannot have players that believe they are bigger than the club, that is for sure. However, we cannot have managers that put their own ego in front of what is best for the club either. Not saying Bent or Lambert are at fault here, because I don't read Twitter as a reliable source for information, but we are 18th in the table and we are not scoring goals.

Mild booing from the stands at HT tonight, at least from the 20K+ that decided to pop up.

Mild booing?

I didn't hear anything of the sort, personally. I heard 20k+ getting fully behind the team & Lambert.

• Like 1

A win is a win and they've been few and far between in 2012, that was just our 3rd league win at Villa Park.

Obviously performances are important, vital if you want to fill seats and ensure wins become a bit more frequent but ultimately points are what count.

It wasn't a great performance, far from it in fact. Much work needs to be done, not least in the January transfer market but we got what we needed.

I get a sense some of the young players are starting to grow and there is some signs of improvement in the way players are linking up.

The defence remains the major worry, it isn't a unit its a bunch of kids thrown together and it will come undone against better opposition. One way or another we need to get an more consistent and experienced defence and fast or it will cost us.

Work in progress, solid without being impressive but a job done would be my summary. We move on and hopefully up.

I must have watched a different game, thought we played some attractive stuff and Benteke was a joy to watch.

I really can't see what some thought was so bad - I have seen many many more games worse than that.

Ah well. Certainly cant be arsed to debate it, but I enjoyed it - happy to be in a minority of one !

We tried to play, but the misplaced passes did disjoint the performance somewhat.

On the plus side.. and Off Topic.. I heard a Sunderland fan on the radio Tonight saying "MON has no plan B. His team selections and substitutes are predictable". At least we're not bored with Lambert in charge!

We tried to play, but the misplaced passes did disjoint the performance somewhat.

On the plus side.. and Off Topic.. I heard a Sunderland fan on the radio Tonight saying "MON has no plan B. His team selections and substitutes are predictable". At least we're not bored with Lambert in charge!

No surprise to me Rob. Old habits die hard.

duck.... just in case the towel is thrown in.

Good little bit of entertainment from disco lambo tonight too with the controlling of the ball with his knee as it flew out of play and the waving to the crowd towards the end of 'lambert, give us a wave..'

Do not know where the pundits heard booing from because most of the game we were roaring and getting behind the manager and the team.

I've read several hypothetical statements such as 'if we play like that against better teams we'll lose' - people obviously forgetting the Arsenal match already. The game really should have been put to bed in the first half, we had the chances to do so - Benteke, Weimann etc - just couldn't find the net. I think they were probably still pretty tired from the Arsenal game. A big win for us and Lambert though - if we can get a win at QPR we'll be sitting in a much more comfortable position.

I agree, lads played some nice footie on some occasions but they were a bit nervy probably due lack of Ireland and Vlaar but once Ireland came on we got better and a bit more composed, he really should start every game. We should've scored 3-4 goals but nerves got better of Benteke and Weimann on couple of very good chances, they were also probably tired from the game against Arsenal where everyone ran their socks off.

While it certainly was not the best Villa performance I have seen in my lifetime, it surely was not as diabolical as some people want to make it seem. I mean did you fall asleep through all of last season, that was diabolical. We played with a defense whose average age was just over 20, have midfielders/strikers still getting seasoned and were playing in a very hostile home environment against a team who could not afford to lose. 3 points is all that matters tonite. Job done!

Fair do LSV... 2011/12 is a scar forever on my memory. Last night's performance was every bit as bad as last season. Stark contrast to what we have seen them do this season and know they are capable of. We got lucky last night, nothing more. If anyone is positive about last night's performance, they are lying to themselves. It wasn't just shit, it was dog shit.

One of few who actually turned up, I left the ground with us having won the match. But so poor was the performance, it left me feeling as though we had actually lost.

The result is what matters yes, and brilliant (I guess) to get second successive clean sheet from such a young team. But ignore that performance at your (the royal your) peril. QPR will be a different kettle completely. These youngsters need to man-up and get wise. On recent showing, this is a performance blip... I prey that is all it is. Better oppo, and we would have been lanced in the eye last night.

How long will we have to be patient? As long as it takes tbh

This rebuilding from the ground up, investing in young talent, putting down long lasting structures, it takes years.

Thing is, there is no other sustainable way forward imho. Even if we had a rich sugar daddy, we still wouldnt be able to make a loss under proposed Premier League reguialtions. We'd still only be able to spend a certain amount of our money on wages. Either we do it this way, or no way at all..

This. All the **** way.

Revolution not evolution. Especially seeing as there was **** all left to evolve in the first place.

It wasn't just shit, it was dog shit.

Good grief - there are a handful of people on this site who's only joy in life is slagging off the team and manager and winding up the rest of the forum

We weren't at our best last night but we certainly weren't "dog shit" either. It was a must-win game, a nervous atmosphere, coming hot on the heels of a tiring run of games and with an injury hit squad of our youngest ever players

Last season everyone was baying for youngsters to be given a chance - now that we have done that people are moaning that they are inconsistent - of course they are!! that's the natural course of gaining experience - some good games, some poor games, some average games. We had a mix of those last night - I thought Stevens (until his injury), Lowton (in particular), Baker and Clark all had decent games and a clean sheet proved that.

Midfield was a little more mixed - they had performed well in the last few games, closing down teams and winning the ball but last night offered a different challenge. They had to unlock a team trying to close us down. For much of the time the main responsibility for this fell to Bannan, who struggled a little at times. Westwood looked a little nervous and Weimann a little weary. Gabby and Holman worked hard but needed a bit more help from CM - PL will work on all this during the rest of the week and the young team will learn and improve.

I thought Benteke was again exactly what you would wish from a front man and despite all the clamour for his inclusion, I just could not see Bent fulfilling the same role. I'm guessing that Bent's exit from VP is signed and sealed and avioding injury is the main reason he is not making the bench - I can't imagine any other reason why he would'nt be there

Ireland did very well when he came on, finding space in a tiring Reading midfield (maybe a very smart move from Lambert!) - Ireland's craft is what was missing but I worry that he has the work rate to put alongside that to be a regualr starter (don't start up the whole work rate / quality debate because I understand we need a balance of both)

I don't care if S'ton beat Norwich tonight - that will keep Norwich involved at the bottom of the table. I can see us winning away on Saturday with Ron back and against a team that will be a little more open to the counter attack.

By the time the transfer window opens I expect us to be in a much more comfortable position and to finish the season well up the table. Controvesially, I would be very happy for PL to continue to try and unearth a few more lower league gems and overseas bargains. I expect our new chief scout will have a list of suitable names ready.